Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 909
Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Just keeping the thread alive

More contraction today- check out that 30-year

Maturity Yield Yester-day Last Week Last Month
3 Month 2.86 2.84 2.79 2.71
6 Month 2.98 2.97 2.95 3.03
2 Year 3.54 3.56 3.56 3.71
3 Year 3.58 3.59 3.60 3.77
5 Year 3.68 3.71 3.73 3.94
10 Year 3.90 3.94 3.98 4.25
30 Year 4.18 4.24 4.32 4.62

__________________

__________________
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Just keeping the thread alive*

More contraction today- check out that 30-year

Maturity Yield Yester-day Last Week Last Month
3 Month 2.86* 2.84* 2.79* 2.71*
6 Month 2.98* 2.97* 2.95* 3.03*
2 Year 3.54* 3.56* 3.56* 3.71*
3 Year 3.58* 3.59* 3.60* 3.77*
5 Year 3.68* 3.71* 3.73* 3.94*
10 Year 3.90* 3.94* 3.98* 4.25*
30 Year 4.18* 4.24* 4.32* 4.62*

Very interesting! Sure hope I keep getting my 7%

JG
__________________

__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,352
Re: Yield curve warning signs

JG, if you don't mind saying, what's giving you 7%?
__________________
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
JG, if you don't mind saying, what's giving you 7%?
Junk!
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Not very good junk either.

I just like saying "valuey"
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
For a normal 25 year old that wants an auto-pilot portfolio, perhaps... I'm a little bit more active in moving my money around. Two years ago I was 100% equity, 30% of that in the Russell 2000, and an another 30% international fund... I did pretty well.... now I feel as though the prudent move is to batten down the hatches a bit. We will see

When i'm convinced the worst has past, I will be all in again, I assure you
And like most investors, by the time you think it's good to "jump in again" you probably will be wrong.

It always amazes me working with institutional clients how much brain power they put into calling future market movements and how wrong they are. Then, when you have individuals trying to do the same I find it comical.


I'm not picking on you in particular, just the whole idea.
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
And like most investors, by the time you think it's good to* "jump in again" you probably will be wrong.

It always amazes me working with institutional clients how much brain power they put into calling future market movements and how wrong they are.* Then, when you have individuals trying to do the same I find it comical.


I'm not picking on you in particular, just the whole idea.
Yeah, it looks dopey to me also.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BigMoneyJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,627
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
JG, if you don't mind saying, what's giving you 7%?
There were some threads discussing his GM (or GMAC?) bonds not too long ago...March or April I think. You can use the board's search feature to find them. I think they've been downgraded once or twice since then.
__________________
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
There were some threads discussing his GM (or GMAC?) bonds not too long ago...March or April I think. You can use the board's search feature to find them. I think they've been downgraded once or twice since then.
And, if I'm not mistaken, these same bonds are now paying 8%.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 717
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Chairman Alan Greenspan said Monday he does not have a good explanation for why long-term interest rates have been falling at a time when he and his Fed colleagues have been raising short-term rates.
Greenspan called the pronounced decline in long-term interest rates over the past year at the same time the Fed was boosting short-term rates "clearly without recent precedent."

And he went on to say "I'm reasonably certain we would not automatically assume that it would mean what it meant in the past"

He artfully dodged saying the "R" word.
It sounds to me like it's going to be different this time!
Where have I heard that before?

__________________
Random Reinforcement is Highly Addictive.
riskadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 62
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Looks like mortgage rates are scraping the bottom again. 30yr fixed with 0 points can be had at 5.0%. Time to re-finance if you missed it last time!

__________________
BristolBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
Chairman* * *Alan Greenspan said Monday he does not have a good explanation for why long-term interest rates have been falling at a time when he and his Fed colleagues have been raising short-term rates.
Greenspan called the pronounced decline in long-term interest rates over the past year at the same time the Fed was boosting short-term rates "clearly without recent precedent."

And he went on to say "I'm reasonably certain we would not automatically assume that it would mean what it meant in the past"

He artfully dodged saying the "R" word.
It sounds to me like it's going to be different this time!
Where have I heard that before?

He's an old man and senility may be setting in, or quite possibly
he is sliding into using Rummyistic thinking unknowingly ("Known knowns,
known unknowns" etc ) Or maybe "You can't go into the unknown without knowin" ? My guess is that he is just guessin' like everyone else.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolBane
Looks like mortgage rates are scraping the bottom again.* 30yr fixed with 0 points can be had at 5.0%.* Time to re-finance if you missed it last time!

Tempting for sure. Psychologically, I can't do it, even if the numbers tell me to go for it. With my low income, once DW quits working I expect
we will shift into reverse mortgage-wise.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Yield curve warning signs
Old 06-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Yield curve warning signs

Greenspan knows what he's saying. He also knows if he stonewalls a little longer until the next fed chairman comes along that he can stuff the whole bag of crap down the front of that guys shirt, spin him around a couple of times and be gone before anyone knows what happened.

Havent listened to a word the man says since he told people to go out and get variable rate mortgages last year knowing he was going to jack up the rates through the roof and screw anyone who did as he suggested.
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yield Curve trends disk-golfer FIRE and Money 12 02-25-2007 02:58 PM
Inverted yield curve modhatter FIRE and Money 2 01-14-2006 03:35 PM
Yield Curve Inversion Helen FIRE and Money 10 09-12-2005 02:39 PM
Inverted Yield curve for bonds? Roger_R FIRE and Money 4 07-30-2005 08:27 PM
Yield Curve Marshac FIRE and Money 1 09-08-2004 01:28 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.