Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"You'd think it would be hard to blow that much money,"
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

"You'd think it would be hard to blow that much money,"

for some reason these type of stories still amaze me.

Quote:
DALLAS (AP) — Six years after entering the NFL as the third player taken in the draft, Vince Young finds himself without a team and with just a fraction of the money he received from a contract that guaranteed him $26 million.

The question is, where did it all go?

In an increasingly caustic war of words, attorneys have been arguing for months over whether Young is an out-of-control spender who put himself deeply in the hole or simply a victim of inexperienced advisers, one of whom was his own uncle.
http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/ar...d-out-of-money
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, this tells me right away that his advisors were a problem....

"According to public records, Vince Young was one of at least 10 NFL players who turned to Pro Player Funding for cash during the lockout. Loan documents show he borrowed the $1.9 million at 20 percent interest, with $619,122 in interest paid up front, and agreed that a judgment could be entered if he missed a payment."

The guy had to have a lot of money... why did he need to borrow any And if he did, why at 20%

I had dealings with a famous baseball player who went broke... at one point in time he was living under a bridge.... he knew nothing about his investments or where his money went... he was taken advantage of and when his advisors actually invested his money they were in things that lost big time....

I think with Vince, it is probably both his spending and some possible graft from his advisors.... probably his uncle took a lot.... add in bad investments and you are down to zero....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Could you change the link to point to page 1 of the article?

Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic intelligence test that nearly all NFL perspective draftees are given. 50 is perfect, 21 is average, 10 is roughly equated with literacy. He retook it and got a 15. For whatever that is worth.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic intelligence test that nearly all NFL perspective draftees are given. 50 is perfect, 21 is average, 10 is roughly equated with literacy. He retook it and got a 15. For whatever that is worth.

Yea, his job prospects outside of football are limited....

Someone MIGHT hire him as a rep or sales guy.... I just do not know if he has the required personality...
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a total mess.

If only Vince Young would have listened to Walter Brennan in "Meet John Doe" and looked out for the Heelots.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have never heard of the Wonderlic test. So I googled and found a sample test with only 12 questions, an answer key and a multiplier factor to figure out your score.
I scored a 37.5, which is equivalent to missing 3 out of the 12 questions.

A score of 21 is average? sheesh

Have fun trying the sample test.
WalterFootball.com: Wonderlic Sample Test
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have never heard of the Wonderlic test. So I googled and found a sample test with only 12 questions, an answer key and a multiplier factor to figure out your score.
I scored a 37.5, which is equivalent to missing 3 out of the 12 questions.

A score of 21 is average? sheesh

Have fun trying the sample test.
WalterFootball.com: Wonderlic Sample Test
I did not spend enough time on the print question and guessed.... wrong... off by 1 page...

Got the rest correct...
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got them all. Only two of them took me more than 10 seconds. The bar exam, LSAT, and my last technical certification exam were all anywhere from 10x to 100x harder than that.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Missed 1 - no 10. I guess I should have read the question more thoroughly. After all, why would partners that invested different levels of capital agree to share profits equally?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Didn't I read somewhere where he went to Texas?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

DW used to work with guys who make $500-$800K per year. Every week they were bumming $50 from her to "get through till payday". They always pay her back, but, makes you wonder.
Now DW and I are RE and they're still on the treadmill. Wonder who they're bumming $ from now?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
DW used to work with guys who make $500-$800K per year. Every week they were bumming $50 from her to "get through till payday". They always pay her back, but, makes you wonder.
Now DW and I are RE and they're still on the treadmill. Wonder who they're bumming $ from now?

It might not have anything to do with their investments.... they just might not get to the bank to get cash that often... or...

They could be like this one executive that we had at my mini-mega way back when.... she came in to 'save' the company.... and was paid by check (do not know why she did not have it deposited electronically).... it became an issue when her UNCASHED checks were over $1 million.... heck, the bank was in the lobby of the building... she just had 'more important' things to do....
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It might not have anything to do with their investments.... they just might not get to the bank to get cash that often... or...

They could be like this one executive that we had at my mini-mega way back when.... she came in to 'save' the company.... and was paid by check (do not know why she did not have it deposited electronically).... it became an issue when her UNCASHED checks were over $1 million.... heck, the bank was in the lobby of the building... she just had 'more important' things to do....
Getting paid is my primary function...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Getting paid is my primary function...

+1 for me.... if my paycheck stops, I am not coming in....
Old 09-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
That is the wildest thing I have ever heard of. I don't want to pry too much but what did they do for a living?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Same here, except I had gone back to the print question (No. 9) and was still working on it when the 5 minute warning arrived. Some of the questions seemed ridiculously easy, while others probably would be a challenge for adults who've never worked with numbers.

I'd be less interested in scores, than in which types of questions are easier for football players (verbal ability/math ability).

Clearly, getting a high score on this (or any) test doesn't correlate with how well one is paid.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I did not spend enough time on the print question and guessed.... wrong... off by 1 page...

Got the rest correct...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

(Being "smart" is not a predictor of "wealth")

I got 40 because I ran out of time.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
(Being "smart" is not a predictor of "wealth")

I got 40 because I ran out of time.
That's true on many tests we would be smarter if we did not run out of time.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote