Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Sold 2010 Cayman S for M3 Killer:

Daily is 2003 Explorer Sport Trac with 198k miles

DW has 2011 BMW 335i Convertible

No auto loans
How does the M3 compare to the Cayman?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #222
gone traveling

Sorry, just modified as I noticed the Pic did not load. M3 killer is Boss 302 Mustang.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #223
gone traveling

Quote:
Sorry, just modified as I noticed the Pic did not load. M3 killer is Boss 302 Mustang.
Nice car Pilot! Have you had it out on a track?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2002 Subaru Impreza RS, 43,075 miles on it. Thinking about getting a different car, something a little cushier, for my golden years. My mechanic said this car is popular with the young set, and I could get maybe $11,000 for it, given the low miles and great condition. It's a fun driver, I put a WRX swaybar on it, so it's snappy in the curves.

We also have a 1996 GMC Savana. It's a versatile rig for daily use, hauling and towing, and summer road trips. We'll probably upgrade that too, been looking at Sprinters, ProMasters, and the likes.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #225
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just traded in a 2002 Ford Escape AWD for a 2016 Toyota RAV4 AWD Hybrid. I only have 400 miles on the car, but in a mix of highway and city driving, getting 37 mpg! EPA combined rating is 33 mpg. The car is quiet in city driving - runs on electric motor most of the time under 40 mph. The RAV4 is not a plug-in, it runs on regular 87 octane gas. This is my first hybrid - I'm impressed!
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #226
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nice car Pilot! Have you had it out on a track?
Had it at Laguna Seca, and Road Atlanta. Lots of fun!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #227
gone traveling

Quote:
Had it at Laguna Seca, and Road Atlanta. Lots of fun!
Those are both great tracks, your lucky to have had that experience. Here is pic of my last street/track car, although I didn't take it out on the street very often as it was pretty low to the ground:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4S Fikse 2.jpg (44.3 KB, 14 views)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #228
gone traveling

Very nice 911! I had one about 12 years ago, but never tracked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987.jpg (80.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #229
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Question for the Fully retired folk here, those whose w*ork involves NOT w*orking:

Am I the only retiree that likes a new car every 3 - 5 years? More 3 than 5 recently. I found I was losing too much doing this the traditional way so I lease my cars now and find it a lot cheaper that buying.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yeah you may be able to take my forester in the 1/4 with that ride
Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #231
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Question for the Fully retired folk here, those whose w*ork involves NOT w*orking:

Am I the only retiree that likes a new car every 3 - 5 years? More 3 than 5 recently.
See the "bling" thread.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #232

ShokWaveRider: Nope! We are on the three year schedule and maybe even two.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
See the "bling" thread.
Cars are not bling, not when used as daily drivers, as far as I am concerned anyway. Only Garage Queens etc. are bling. I was not talking about those, although I have had my fair share over the years. But not now.

Personally, and it is just my opinion, I cannot see myself in retirement driving a 75-100k car and paying for (or worrying about) services etc. The nice things about young cars is the maintenance is usually fully covered for the first 3 years or the life of the lease. I make a point of negotiating it. The garage even comes and picks it up and leaves a loaner till they return it.

The nice thing about retirement is reducing or not doing the things that one did not like about one's early life. Dealing with my daily driver is one of those. After all what are we all saving our money for, but for just that?.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
ShokWaveRider: Nope! We are on the three year schedule and maybe even two.
Thanks, I hoped I was not alone.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Am I the only retiree that likes a new car every 3 - 5 years? More 3 than 5 recently. I found I was losing too much doing this the traditional way so I lease my cars now and find it a lot cheaper that buying.
No, I don't want a new car every 3-5 years even though I like giving myself presents and can afford to do so.

For one thing, I don't like any of the newer cars. If I saw one that I liked as much as my 2009 Venza, I'd buy it tomorrow. I keep looking, but so far, nada, nothing, zippo.

Also, I'm 68 and don't drive much any more. I only average about 3500-4000 miles/year. Everything I need or want is close by. So, my Venza has hardly been used and to me it still seems pretty new.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #236

Quote:

I'm with you to some extent. I replace my car about every five years, but leasing is not an option due to high mileage. Typically close to 25K miles per year, and it has been at that level for decades, since long before I retired.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm with you to some extent. I replace my car about every five years, but leasing is not an option due to high mileage. Typically close to 25K miles per year, and it has been at that level for decades, since long before I retired.
That can be an issue for a lease, so you are somewhat limited to buying. I started my "Retirement" leases at 12k per year ,but reduced them to 10k. That includes 2 trips to Canada a Year. I still do well under the allotted amount. When I was w*orking, they had 15k leases, I took that option once, but only averaged 7k per year on that lease. Most of my w*orking mileage was to and from an airport.

I particular like leasing as a Bad Carfax or AutoCheck is not a game changer. You can just give it back, as I do mostly anyway. If the mileage is very low, I sell them before the lease is up. I did that with my Jeep, and made $3k.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #238

Quote:
... Only Garage Queens etc. are bling. ...
That's not a very nice way to talk about my Audi TT!

That was last year anyway. I put 200 miles on it. This year DD has borrowed it while her Prius was fixed. She just told me she has her Prius back with a new (rebuilt) battery. Says it works great. Its a 2005 with 160k miles.

I told her to keep the Audi for a while until I have a place to park it in a few weeks. I wonder which one she will drive.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
That is what I called my Ferrari and a few others.... OK then "Garage Ornament" I rarely drove them and just enjoyed having them around. Now I am retired, I prefer driving a nice car as a daily driver, rather than having one I hardly use. I was always concerned someone would hit it, scratch it in a car park, and worse still, me damage it. That is one worry I do not have any more as leasing eliminates that problem. That makes for great peace of mind.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I guess you like yours better than this guy

Myaudittsucks.com Never get suckered and forget 2010