Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I was always concerned someone would hit it, scratch it in a car park, and worse still, me damage it. That is one worry I do not have any more as leasing eliminates that problem. That makes for great peace of mind.
So are you saying you can return a leased car damaged other than normal wear and tear?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I guess you like yours better than this guy

Myaudittsucks.com Never get suckered and forget 2010
Mine is the same model as the one in the picture only mine is a roadster. I bought it with about 34,000 miles and 6 years old. I have had it for 6 years with no more than normal maintenance. It now has about 60,000 miles on it. It is a joy to drive. I couldn't be happier.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
So are you saying you can return a leased car damaged other than normal wear and tear?
No of course not, it would be repaired and covered by the drivers insurance. BUT if one owned the vehicle it could not be sold (easily or for a sensible price) as no one in their right mind would buy a used care without first getting a Carfax or Autocheck first or asking the selling dealer for one. Any sign of a posted accident, salvage etc., and it could only be sold if at all at auction, or for significantly less that what it is worth.

Having been in the trade, I can tell you dealers steer clear of vehicles with documented accident damage and send any they get to auction.

Of course most folk here who keep cars till they fall apart would not be affected by this.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #244

2007 VW Rabbit. Yes, a Rabbit (with the bunny on the back) and not a Golf. There was a brief period when they re-introduced the Wabbit and I snagged it. 30,000 miles on it and in perfect shape (except for that scratch on the bumper where I hit the garage after a two glass of wine dinner out). Wonderful hatchback that carries a lot of stuff and a nifty little fold down area in the back seat for skiis to be inserted. Yes, I don't drive much, or at least try hard not to. I walk or bike everywhere.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #245

Quote:
No of course not, it would be repaired and covered by the drivers insurance. BUT if one owned the vehicle it could not be sold (easily or for a sensible price) as no one in their right mind would buy a used care without first getting a Carfax or Autocheck first or asking the selling dealer for one. Any sign of a posted accident, salvage etc., and it could only be sold if at all at auction, or for significantly less that what it is worth.

Having been in the trade, I can tell you dealers steer clear of vehicles with documented accident damage and send any they get to auction.

Of course most folk here who keep cars till they fall apart would not be affected by this.
Makes sense, although we have owned several cars over the years that were in accidents and traded in without a problem, but you are probably talking about outright sales vs trade-ins.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #246
Recycles dryer sheets

DW has an '08 BMW Z-4 (rag top, of course ... lol) and I have a '15 Ford F-250 diesel (we have a travel trailer). She got is off a lease in '11 and puts about 7,000 a year on it.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #247
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been wanting to not comment on this thread because cars have been my weakness and addiction. I won't say I wasted my money because the experiences I had racing cars will forever be cherished memories. I also won't say what I have now because I might get recognized by some co-workers/ex-wife etc but they're nothing special. I am getting super tempted to buy something fun again. It's been a while since I had a bad-ass hellcat sort of a car but the frugal voice inside me keeps reminding me how far behind I am in my FI goals so I've been looking at the 'best bang for the buck' options. On that short list I've considered a used STi (to hop up) or a C5/6 Z06- more tempted by the latter as the perfect mid-life crisis car (which it suits me). Jeez, now I have to go look at Craigslist again...this is why I haven't been wanting to post in this thread.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #248
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
On that short list I've considered a used STi (to hop up) or a C5/6 Z06- more tempted by the latter as the perfect mid-life crisis car (which it suits me).
I think the C5 Z06 has to be the biggest performance bang for the buck that exists today.

Like you, performance/muscle/sport cars have been a vice of mine since I started driving. As FIRE gets closer, I've managed to curb the automotive related spending, but it's always a temptation.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #249

Apparently no Yugo's with 150,000 miles? Actually when I worked in Venezuela many moons ago I had a Fiat 128 that was a lot of fun to drive - I think the Yugo was derived from that Fiat but I suspect that currently there be no more Yugo's (or 128's for that matter... RIP). Anywho, Currently a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with about 45K ( a necessity in the rural area we live in), a 2009 Dodge Caliber with 85K and a 2009 Toyota Corolla with 115K - the trouble maker that has already left us stranded 3 times...
Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #250

Quote:
I've been wanting to not comment on this thread because cars have been my weakness and addiction. I won't say I wasted my money because the experiences I had racing cars will forever be cherished memories. I also won't say what I have now because I might get recognized by some co-workers/ex-wife etc but they're nothing special. I am getting super tempted to buy something fun again. It's been a while since I had a bad-ass hellcat sort of a car but the frugal voice inside me keeps reminding me how far behind I am in my FI goals so I've been looking at the 'best bang for the buck' options. On that short list I've considered a used STi (to hop up) or a C5/6 Z06- more tempted by the latter as the perfect mid-life crisis car (which it suits me). Jeez, now I have to go look at Craigslist again...this is why I haven't been wanting to post in this thread.
I can empathize completely, do not feel bad, we probably could have retired 5 years earlier if it was not for my exotic / sports fetish. I keep telling myself I am over it, as all they ever did was sit in the "throne room" (my garage) waiting for me to come home from work and gaze admiringly at them, and caress them with a scratch free duster, and then on Sunday for the care and feeding. We would go for drives down the coast road for brunch on a weekend and then back into the throne room she would go.

I say I keep telling myself as that a new(er) Aston Martin Vantage looks sooooo enticing. The Good years for the car started in 2010 - 2012 so they are just coming up to where I was (am) a buyer. BUT, those were the days, when I did all my own maintenance and they are all but gone.

I may invest in a small Motor Cycle to curb my enthusiasm..... sigh.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #251
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.........I may invest in a small Motor Cycle to curb my enthusiasm..... sigh.
Here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda cub.jpg (17.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Here ya go.
This is more of what I was thinking of:

Old 07-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #253

Motorcycles is how I dealt with my track-day withdrawls but having a small child at home and having a few close calls with the cagers yakking on the cell phones I got rid of them all. I had 3 at one time- a classic, a 600cc sportbike and a 1300cc sports touring bike. Now I have boring cars but I'm also one of those who can appreciate even a Trabant/Yugo/some-neglected-rust-bucket so I'm OK most of the time.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #254

will be picking up 95 firehawk vert next weekend. that will be my summer daily
Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #255

Quote:
... I am getting super tempted to buy something fun again. It's been a while since I had a bad-ass hellcat sort of a car but the frugal voice inside me keeps reminding me how far behind I am in my FI goals so I've been looking at the 'best bang for the buck' options. On that short list I've considered a used STi (to hop up) or a C5/6 Z06- more tempted by the latter as the perfect mid-life crisis car (which it suits me). Jeez, now I have to go look at Craigslist again...this is why I haven't been wanting to post in this thread.
And, in a recent thread, you were thinking of dropping your term life insurance that was costing you $50 a month?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
And, in a recent thread, you were thinking of dropping your term life insurance that was costing you $50 a month?
$50 a month may be a car payment on a c4 vette. Those are cheap..but yeah, that's funny.

I had a golf buddy who's wife was always (monthly) trying to get him change insurance, phone or whatever providers so they could save $20 a month, then he'd go out and blow $500 on a new driver
Old 07-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #257
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
will be picking up 95 firehawk vert next weekend. that will be my summer daily
Pictures please! (when you get it)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Pictures please! (when you get it)
you bet
Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Now you know why I was asking
It's not that I can't afford a nice car, I just reached $500k in investments+savings...but I just don't think I should. I already have 3 cars (a daily driver, a fun car, an old pickup).
Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #260

I just got a Chrysler 300 Anniversary edition on Friday. Went for a nice drive today to the Oregon coast and it handled beautifully in very twisty sections of the mountain roads. Amazed that such a heavy relatively large car handles so well and the 31 MPG average was another big surprise. The car is rated for 31 highway but the average of 31 I got was with mixed city and slow driving along with twisty mountain roads up and down.

I don't know what magic pixie dust they are able to pour into cars these days but I was quite happy years ago when I got the same average mileage from an econobox.