Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 AM   #261
Dryer sheet aficionado

Earlier this year my wife and I decided to rid ourselves of my Acura TL Type S. It was a nice car, but low to the ground and becoming increasingly hard for me to get out of. My wife wouldn't drive it. So the search began for a new vehicle. We knew we wanted an SUV because of our plans to travel once I retired.

Ultimately we settled on a 2016 Volvo XC90. I love it! Large enough for us to pack up with luggage. Handles like a dream. Luxury features and loaded with safety options. It was a long search, but so far I've been very pleased with the car. We shopped against Lexus, Audi, BMW, Acura and Lincoln. Did a lot of test drives. In the end it was between the Lexus and the Volvo. The latter offered better cargo room and a roomier front cabin.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #262
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobw235 View Post
Earlier this year my wife and I decided to rid ourselves of my Acura TL Type S. It was a nice car, but low to the ground and becoming increasingly hard for me to get out of. My wife wouldn't drive it. So the search began for a new vehicle. We knew we wanted an SUV because of our plans to travel once I retired.

Ultimately we settled on a 2016 Volvo XC90. I love it! Large enough for us to pack up with luggage. Handles like a dream. Luxury features and loaded with safety options. It was a long search, but so far I've been very pleased with the car. We shopped against Lexus, Audi, BMW, Acura and Lincoln. Did a lot of test drives. In the end it was between the Lexus and the Volvo. The latter offered better cargo room and a roomier front cabin.

Do you know what engine is on the XC90

I been driving Volvo's for the past 20 plus years and currently have 3 of them at home. They are from the 90's but still going strong. There are probably more computers and electronic DIM's that will probably drive me crazy.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #263
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
Do you know what engine is on the XC90

I been driving Volvo's for the past 20 plus years and currently have 3 of them at home. They are from the 90's but still going strong. There are probably more computers and electronic DIM's that will probably drive me crazy.
On our new car we have a four cylinder turbo charged/super charged engine. Considering it's only four cylinders, I was amazed at how much get up and go it has. They recommend premium gas which at today's prices isn't a big deal. The engine is very smooth. I'm getting about 25 MPG overall. And you're right about the electronics. This one has a nice sized touch screen on the center dashboard. Use it to control just about everything. Car came with wireless internet connection which was sweet! I also bought it with Apple's Carplay software so I can hook up my iPhone and get Spotify for my music.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobw235 View Post
On our new car we have a four cylinder turbo charged/super charged engine. Considering it's only four cylinders, I was amazed at how much get up and go it has.
It's the Turbo that gives you the power. I drove an Audi A4 Quattro with Turbo for many years - very peppy and sipped that Premium gas.

Rita
Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #265
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sold our 06 cayman S and bought a 15 vw gti fully loaded. Also we reprogrammed the chip in the gti for more power.

Wouldn't go back the the porsche, loving the gti's perfect balance of just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #266
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
It's the Turbo that gives you the power. I drove an Audi A4 Quattro with Turbo for many years - very peppy and sipped that Premium gas.

Rita
We almost didn't get it following the first test drive. I think they gave us a test car that wasn't properly tuned. It just didn't perform well, the engine was rough and had some hesitation, so we initially ruled it out. Later saw a great video review on YouTube showing the car in quite a bit of detail. The site, Alex on Autos was excellent and I highly recommend a visit if you're looking at a new car.

I gave the dealer another try and this time we came away impressed.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Sold our 06 cayman S and bought a 15 vw gti fully loaded. Also we reprogrammed the chip in the gti for more power.

Wouldn't go back the the porsche, loving the gti's perfect balance of just about everything.

GTIs are a nice bang for the buck. Did your reprogramming increase the boost pressure or was it more ignition timing related?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #268
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We got a 2009 PONTIAC AWD Vibe (= Toyota matrix). Good and reliable but we paid too much (had a trade in to get rid of). Next time, we will buy a 2910 in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
We got a 2009 PONTIAC AWD Vibe (= Toyota matrix). Good and reliable but we paid too much (had a trade in to get rid of). Next time, we will buy a 2910 in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
You are a very optimistic long-term planner, Ed!
Your auto- what you're driving now
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
GTIs are a nice bang for the buck. Did your reprogramming increase the boost pressure or was it more ignition timing related?

Both, and it was a very noticeable boost in power, very. Checkout the power curves on unitronic.ca

And it was amazing bang for the buck since we got it for 25k second hand from a meticulous owner pressured to sell from his 9month pregnant wife. Couldn't beat the deal anywhere for what msrps overs 35k. 6k miles on the odometer and a very good window tint job was already on it.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #271

Quote:
Both, and it was a very noticeable boost in power, very. Checkout the power curves on unitronic.ca

open source t00n or cobb ap?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #272
Confused about dryer sheets

2012 Toyota Prius. Not a blast to drive but the gas mileage is incredible. Overall cost of ownership is very low.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
2012 Toyota Prius. Not a blast to drive but the gas mileage is incredible. Overall cost of ownership is very low.

I find them pretty good-looking, too. The latest one has amazing gas mileage, but looks too much like a Geo Prism.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #274

Got a pleasant surprise today; now that my car is 10 years old the license fee dropped from $92 to $69.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

We’re down to two vehicles:

2015 Toyota Yaris (Primary / Wife’s car)
1987 Suzuki Samurai (Beater / “My” vehicle)… It’s got around 250,000 miles on it, and keeps running. I’ve left it set for around six months, and then needed it, and it worked.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I find them pretty good-looking, too. The latest one has amazing gas mileage, but looks too much like a Geo Prism.
DS drives a Geo Prism. He has learned to love it... 1995, about 215,000 miles on it, good gas mileage, the perfect car for delivering pizza! BTW, it is the same as a 1995 Toyota Corolla. Maybe that is why the similarity.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
DS drives a Geo Prism. He has learned to love it... 1995, about 215,000 miles on it, good gas mileage, the perfect car for delivering pizza! BTW, it is the same as a 1995 Toyota Corolla. Maybe that is why the similarity.

Yeah, those Prism/Corollas were pretty bullet-proof. The model I was thinking of was actually the Geo Storm. I think it's the funky little trunk-lid that makes them look similar to me.

Geo Storm:

Latest Prius:
Old 07-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #278

Quote:

Even stage 1 gains are very impressive. You have a great handling pocket rocket.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #279

holy carp that is a lot of tq gain! this car is just FWD right?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
holy carp that is a lot of tq gain! this car is just FWD right?

Yes, it will chirp for sure. The dual clutch auto drivetrain is amazing as well, instant shifts and lays the power down nicely. Limited slip diff up front really makes it perfect powering out of corners.

Let me repeat, we got rid of a porsche cayman S for this, and are very happy we did. This gti (when loaded) has just the right amount of everything many could want from a car. It's _extremely_ deceiving to look at it from the outside.