Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,016
sleeper for sure - but I had to do a lot more to my 09 FXT for those kind of power gains

those aren't dyno gains those are crank hp/tq gains right?
__________________

__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #282
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
sleeper for sure - but I had to do a lot more to my 09 FXT for those kind of power gains

those aren't dyno gains those are crank hp/tq gains right?

Probably crank, i dont know. Regardless, it puts the power down. I think going further than stage 1+ would just result in wheel spin and losing control if you put your foot down.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,016
definitely if you go with a bigger turbo

I'm running a vf52 on my 09 FXT and on my E85 toon I can do an AWD burnout if I power launch it
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Your auto- what you're driving now
Old 07-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #284
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 371
Your auto- what you're driving now

Picked up a 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet in December 2015 coming off lease. I love paying cash for these 2-3 year old cars with low miles that someone else took the big it on


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #285
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 406
My wife has a 1991 Pathfinder

I have the new car

a 1997 Acura Integra GS-R with about 130K on it. Since I FIRED I have only put about 2K miles on it...and about 5K on my bikes. So it will last a long time, though it does need a new clutch soon I think.
__________________
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #286
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
holy carp that is a lot of tq gain!
Sounds "fishy"....
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #287
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Sounds "fishy"....
I'd like to see it before and after on a dyno

typically stage 1 OTS maps don't give that much gain, maybe 10-20 hp/tq
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'd like to see it before and after on a dyno

typically stage 1 OTS maps don't give that much gain, maybe 10-20 hp/tq
It's the "carp" that is fishy.
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #289
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,022
I'm sure online dyno tests exist on youtube and such, have at it guys.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #290
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ankeny
Posts: 13
Interesting thread. My new car is a 1994 Mercury Tracer wagon. When it goes out west to college with my youngest in a few weeks, my old car, a 1982 El Camino, will become my daily driver.
__________________
frankbrenowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #291
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbrenowitz View Post
Interesting thread. My new car is a 1994 Mercury Tracer wagon. When it goes out west to college with my youngest in a few weeks, my old car, a 1982 El Camino, will become my daily driver.
I hope you find something else to drive before winter.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #292
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ankeny
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I hope you find something else to drive before winter.
Luckily, I live in a temperate region of central Iowa where the winters are typically mild, think San Diego. In the off chance of snow, I put a few sandbags in the bed and we are good to go. The terrain is also very flat, I wouldn't dream of winter driving in Colorado.
__________________
frankbrenowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #293
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbrenowitz View Post
Luckily, I live in a temperate region of central Iowa where the winters are typically mild, think San Diego. In the off chance of snow, I put a few sandbags in the bed and we are good to go. The terrain is also very flat, I wouldn't dream of winter driving in Colorado.
I was cringing at the thought of driving a classic car on salted roads.
__________________
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #294
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ankeny
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I was cringing at the thought of driving a classic car on salted roads.
That is a fair point. I bought the car a few years ago from the original owner. It's been driven on Iowa roads for over thirty years (less than 105k original miles) so there is some rust but it is fixable. My mechanic is coming over next week to identify what needs to be done to make the car winter weather roadworthy (aside from putting it on blocks until spring.) The carb needs a rebuild and the automatic choke is somewhat uncooperative in cold weather. Everything else is bodywork and interior.
__________________
frankbrenowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #295
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MSP
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbrenowitz View Post
Luckily, I live in a temperate region of central Iowa where the winters are typically mild, think San Diego.

Right now I'm thinking of a San Diego winter but somehow central Iowa doesn't come to mind. (And I say this as an old Nebraskan.)
__________________
UpAnchor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #296
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'd like to see it before and after on a dyno

typically stage 1 OTS maps don't give that much gain, maybe 10-20 hp/tq
Curious as to what the boost differential is between stock and stage 1 flash. Any how, seeing gains like this, I wonder if the compression needs to be lowered and the engine bottom end beefed up. I would also probably want a larger intercooler given those gains.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #297
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Curious as to what the boost differential is between stock and stage 1 flash. Any how, seeing gains like this, I wonder if the compression needs to be lowered and the engine bottom end beefed up. I would also probably want a larger intercooler given those gains.
The tuner's website usually has all the information on the tune's capabilities and any other changes/additions required to run the mapping. They also have dyno curves available to look at based on the tune and equipment on the car or after installed.

For my tune in my diesel, I had to put in a larger turbo, intercooler with more capacity, a 3 Bar MAP sensor, larger injector nozzles, some new intake plumbing and it was set to go. I increased my HP and Torque by about 50% over stock while maintaining about the same driveability and fuel mileage.

No internals needed to be changed in the engine. The next tune stage would have required forged connecting rods though.

I installed a Malone tune (out of Canada) and bought the upgraded parts from Kerma out of Colorado.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #298
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
For my tune in my diesel, I had to put in a larger turbo, intercooler with more capacity, a 3 Bar MAP sensor, larger injector nozzles, some new intake plumbing and it was set to go. I increased my HP and Torque by about 50% over stock while maintaining about the same driveability and fuel mileage.
next move on my FXT is to do a header and bigger TMIC. I'll see if it can hold 25 psi. right now on e85 i hit 20psi when I get on it

I have all the other supporting mods - turbo, injectors, fp, etc
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #299
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The tuner's website usually has all the information on the tune's capabilities and any other changes/additions required to run the mapping. They also have dyno curves available to look at based on the tune and equipment on the car or after installed.

For my tune in my diesel, I had to put in a larger turbo, intercooler with more capacity, a 3 Bar MAP sensor, larger injector nozzles, some new intake plumbing and it was set to go. I increased my HP and Torque by about 50% over stock while maintaining about the same driveability and fuel mileage.

No internals needed to be changed in the engine. The next tune stage would have required forged connecting rods though.

I installed a Malone tune (out of Canada) and bought the upgraded parts from Kerma out of Colorado.
I was referring to the VW's gas engine, not a diesel. I doubt these tuners are selling long term reliability regardless of what their website states, so that was the nature of my comment.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #300
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I was referring to the VW's gas engine, not a diesel. I doubt these tuners are selling long term reliability regardless of what their website states, so that was the nature of my comment.
Gas or diesel doesn't change the tune mission very much except that today's turbos on diesels do not have a waste gate but use a variable vane setup. No tuner I have talked to, and some tuners sell both diesel and gasoline engine tunes, really won't guarantee any reliability associated with engine internals.

However, they will not sell you a tune that they feel is detrimental to internal engine problems without warning you that you could compromise stock connecting rods or pistons (as an example).

Remember, the average "Joe" is not going to mess with advanced engine tuning as it is will void any factory warranty. This stuff is typically sold to enthusiasts.
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News Article on Distracted Driving Includes Distracted Driving TromboneAl Other topics 3 10-25-2015 11:56 AM
How long do you keep full insurance coverage on your auto keegs FIRE and Money 23 11-01-2010 09:34 AM
Think you know your auto ads? Meadbh Other topics 15 05-21-2010 07:22 AM
Driving with your eyes? easysurfer Other topics 7 04-24-2010 10:39 AM
How do you calculate the cost of driving? GoodSense FIRE and Money 32 12-30-2009 02:51 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.