Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
How very true the above statement is.

Nostalgia sells and old cars (and motorcycles) are an art form. An expensive habit that parallels what others spend on boats and RV's (I have friends who keep me current on their cash flow drains ).

I'd love to have another 1965 Corvette back again, but it's cost now (in the same condition as mine was in 1970) would be ~ $75,000. That's 39 times what I paid for mine.
The guys I Know like old cars cuz they are attractive and relatively easy to work on. Get away from Vettes, Stangs and Camaro types, and they are also relatively cheap. ANd they are grandfathered in for smog control, etc. in many locations. Its not just nostalgia.

My 76 Monte is more than nostalgia-it is great for transportation, handles beautifully. Very comfortable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Get away from Vettes, Stangs and Camaro types, and they are also relatively cheap.
have you looked at how cheap C4 vettes are? I almost bought one for $5K a few weeks ago. Heck I've seen low mileage C5s go for around $10K.

I know getting a vette isn't in the spirit of LBYM, especially since I have 3 cars but it's one of those things I promised myself I'd do when I was a kid.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
have you looked at how cheap C4 vettes are? I almost bought one for $5K a few weeks ago. Heck I've seen low mileage C5s go for around $10K.

I know getting a vette isn't in the spirit of LBYM, especially since I have 3 cars but it's one of those things I promised myself I'd do when I was a kid.
Yeah, Vettes vary widely in price based on model.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post

Many people want to relive their youth and try to make up for the fact they couldn't have these old cars at the time. I understand that. I view the old cars more as "art" than actual transportation.
People that have these cars today do tend to reminisce, but more often than not its because they actually did own these cars in their youth. They were certainly more affordable back then than now. Wish I still had my Motion Performance SS396 Chevelle, it would be worth a good buck today. But as you say, they definitely are art vs practical transportation, except when going to shows, and possibly drag or vintage car racing.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2011 Prius w/ 45k miles.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

Go price a numbers matching C2, or even a non-NM one that is respectable and not cut up. Crazy.

Even though I now drive a VW diesel, actually two of them, they are on a short stick until I can find the right C5 convertible. You know, the one that is garaged 9 months of the year, has all the correct options, has all the service receipts, is not black on black, and has less than 50K miles on it. Then the VW's go.

DW will get to keep her Santa Fe.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

2008 KIA optima 145K miles - spouse's commuter car for his 46 mile daily drive and our around town errand runner. My son will probably inherit it when we replace it in 3-4 years with a similar sized newer used car. By the time he gets it is will be into the 200K+ range... Replacement car will last longer since retirement will be not too long after replacing the KIA.

2012 Nissan Xterra with offroad package 40K miles - my toy. Bought it 2 summers ago and love it. (I get subsidized public transportation to work so no worries about the lower gas mileage on this vehicle - it is for playtime/fun mountain adventure. I really only drive it on the weekends.)

1995 Suburban - 236K miles - that I bought way back in 2002. It used to be my main "soccer mom" vehicle but it mostly sits now. A huge gas guzzler, but it was great for hauling lots of kids and gear. Since it only costs me $20/month extra insurance, I keep if for a "lot car" for when I go to the airport and have to leave it sit at the public park-n-ride lots - nobody is gonna steal or vandalize the beast while I am gone. (I throw about $20 worth of gas in every 2 or 3 months and have not had any fix it expenses except for a new battery in the last 3 years. Tags are only about $80/year. I haven't seen the need to get rid of it yet. When it starts to cost me repair money then I will sell it for salvage or else donate it to a charity.)

Oh, and I have an antique up on blocks to restore - that will be one of my hobbies when I do retire (1914 Ford Model T that belonged originally to grandparents.)

Yep, some people only use cars for transportaion ... but how boring would that make life if a few gearheads didn't have some fun with their automobiles too.....
Old 06-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #128

Quote:
Even though I now drive a VW diesel, actually two of them, they are on a short stick until I can find the right C5 convertible.
last time I was in H-town there were a few for sale in the Woodlands - check CL
Old 06-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

2006 Honda Pilot with 165K - kids and road trip car
2012 Chevy Volt with 60K - wife's car
2014 BMW i3 with 28K - my car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No change from last year. Still driving a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
2012 Nissan Xterra with offroad package 40K miles - my toy. Bought it 2 summers ago and love it. (I get subsidized public transportation to work so no worries about the lower gas mileage on this vehicle - it is for playtime/fun mountain adventure. I really only drive it on the weekends.)....
How does that compare to a Wrangler Rubicon? Lockers? Sway bar disconnect? Low gears? etc. I belong to a large off road group and I don't recall seeing Xterras in the group. See them on the road and they look nice.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #132
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm driving a 2001 Chevy s-10 with about 160k miles.

Anyone with an Audi RS7 or BMW M4? Worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

mine: 2016 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
DH: 2015 Toyota Avalon XLE
previous Toyos ran over 250,000, the van almost 300,000 miles before we traded in.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

We need a road trip car and an "around town car".

2010 Grand Caravan, 2008 Chevy Cobalt.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
I wonder how many FIRE's like me, have never bought a brand new car, never will and have never had a car payment. It is one of my golden rules......
Last new car purchased was in 1989, since then all used vehicles. Never spent more than $20K for any vehicle.

Did short term financing (under a year) in 1974 due to cash flow issues and in 1985 under a HELOC.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #136

My wife and I have multiple cars, we use the one that fits the mood/task.

For me:
Daily driver: Model S
Weekend fun: Model S
Driving Vacations: Model X
Towing, bike hauler: Model X
Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
My wife and I have multiple cars, we use the one that fits the mood/task.

For me:
Daily driver: Model S
Weekend fun: Model S
Driving Vacations: Model X
Towing, bike hauler: Model X
What are these?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

At first glance I was thinking, "What? 4 Teslas?"
Old 06-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #139

Quote:
What are these?
Sorry, those would be a Tesla 70D Model S and Tesla 90D Model X.

image.jpg
Sorry about the lousy pic.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Sorry, those would be a Tesla 70D Model S and Tesla 90D Model X.

Attachment 24179
Sorry about the lousy pic.
Got it, I have a Jetta Model S that's why I asked.