Your auto- what you're driving now

I am trying to convince myself as well using that same logic.:D

None of us are getting any younger. :D I'd get a new car too except that I haven't yet seen the right one. One of these days maybe I will figure out what I want in a car.

It has to appeal to me more than what I've already got, and as much as I complain about my "nanny car" (2009 Toyota Venza), I actually like it better than anything else I have found.

Neat thread. Put us into the boring category:

DW: 2009 Civic LX (?), bought m/l new ("demo") with 100K or so.
Me: 2012 Honda Fit base trim with 5spd.--my first new car. (40-42 mpg--EPA numbers understate considerably)
Truck: 1995 F150 5spd with only 160K--but body rust will kill it before drivetrain.

I grew up street racing and modifying muscle cars with my brother and Dad. But I converted to the "car is a tool" camp many years ago. (Although that may change when we retire--drove a friend's 911 on empty, paved farm roads last summer, and it was very tempting. )

2004 Toyota Prius
when i bought it new they told me a replacement battery pack would cost $10k, but that the price would go down with time and tech improvements/larger production runs
that turned out correct, as I put a new pack in in 2015 for $3.3k
hope to keep the car for several more years runs like new other maintenance costs have been minimal
great car
I am jazzed the 2016 re-design put the shifter back on the dash, so will almost certainly get a new Prius once I run this one to ground completely
(2010 redesign had 'shifted' the location to the console between the front seats, bad for riding with the dog)

None of us are getting any younger. :D I'd get a new car too except that I haven't yet seen the right one. One of these days maybe I will figure out what I want in a car.

It has to appeal to me more than what I've already got, and as much as I complain about my "nanny car" (2009 Toyota Venza), I actually like it better than anything else I have found.

Those Venzas are very nice vehicles, not a nanny car. My problem is we only have a 2 car garage, and its occupied by DWs Acura and DDs Mazda. I get to pick from either one which is available. Any how, I have always been a performance car guy, so would like something like an M3, GTR, Z06 vette, or maybe a Cobra replica before I get too old, but won't buy until there is a vacant spot in the garage.

Reactions: W2R
My husband has an old Chevy truck.

I have a 2001 Mercury Sable station wagon with 45,000 miles. My dad had it for ten years and rarely drove it. It's a great car.

Then we have two Grand Marquis sedans we use primarily for trips. One has 120,000 miles and one has 58,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Same ole, same ole......
98 Town Car 118K
img_1749460_0_4bd163773ad1feb6d620bb9036593d3c.jpg

96 Cadillac SLS 82K
img_1749460_1_90b4b065d172d2cb66d4bebcaf1c769c.jpg

Actually had to spend $350 on the Town Car this year... Not used to this kind of extra expense.:blush:

Last edited:
I just bought a 2016 BMW M3. I need a sedan and I wanted one more "dream car" before I get too old to drive it. (I'm 73)

Good for you. Im 66 soon and figure I still have a couple of very sporty cars in my future. I enjoy driving so sportiness is important to me. Also need some practicality at our place in Ontario, so BMW M cars are appealing.

2004 Toyota Solara convertible. About 75k miles on it. Absolutely love it, especially this time of year! Wish they still made them, as no doubt at some point this one will die on me.

I've always bought new, but am definitely considering used for my next one. Always liked the BMW 3-series convertibles, but didn't want to spend the money on one.

I have always been a performance car guy, so would like something like an M3, GTR, Z06 vette, or maybe a Cobra replica before I get too old...

I've struggled with this from time to time. My once-ownership of a sports car was back when I was 22, living in a remote mountainous area with a lot of twisty two-lane paved road with very little traffic. So I could really play and did so. Further, if I happened to substantially exceed the limit, the local deputy (who pretty much knew everyone) would probably have shaken his head and given me what-for before cutting me loose.

Whenever I think of getting a sports car today I wonder what the purpose would be. Shy of a track, I'd never have the opportunity to really test the performance and handling. Even were I unwise enough to do so, the penalties these days would be a much different story, not to mention the embarrassment of being way past old enough to know better! Not saying that's wrong or that it was ok back then - that's just the way it was and is. But it does manage to keep me away from the dealer and my wallet in my pocket so there's an upside. :)

Last edited:
I drive a 2005 Honda Accord with 97,000+ miles. It is reliable and safe, but it is more of a boat of a car than I thought it was when I bought it used in 2008. If I were to go back, I would get something smaller.

My daughter drives our 2006 Scion xA when she is home from college. When she is away at college, I drive it because it is a fun little car to drive around town.

My wife drives the 2011 Honda CRV. That car is great. We always take it on trips longer than an hour. I never used to think that brand of tires made that big of a difference, but we put Michelins on that car, and the difference was stark compared to the tires the car came with.

Best thing about all those cars is that they are all paid for.

Whenever I think of getting a sports car today I wonder what the purpose would be. Shy of a track, I'd never have the opportunity to really test the performance and handling. Even were I unwise enough to do so, the penalties these days would be a much different story, not to mention the embarrassment of being way past old enough to know better! Not saying that's wrong or that it was ok back then - that's just the way it was and is. But it does manage to keep me away from the dealer and my wallet in my pocket so there's an upside. :)

I don't advocate crazy driving on public roadways. For me, I was an early member of a club for sports car owners that is located a little south of Ft Worth. It has 3 tracks, but is a members only facility except for perhaps some limited opportunities to the public. Many tracks around the country have open days where you can run your car if you want to test your driving skills, although they may require some additional things to pass a safety inspection and driving with an instructor to ensure you know what you are doing. I still have my nomex suit, boots, and gloves, but sold my helmet. Nevertheless, you can still have some enjoyment on the street given the handling and power these cars have without breaking the law.

I don't advocate crazy driving on public roadways. For me, I was an early member of a club for sports car owners that is located a little south of Ft Worth. It has 3 tracks, but is a members only facility except for perhaps some limited opportunities to the public. Many tracks around the country have open days where you can run your car if you want to test your driving skills, although they may require some additional things to pass a safety inspection and driving with an instructor to ensure you know what you are doing. I still have my nomex suit, boots, and gloves, but sold my helmet. Nevertheless, you can still have some enjoyment on the street given the handling and power these cars have without breaking the law.

Watch out, you might sway me, M5! Actually, despite what I could away with at 22, I'm thankful for a tighter ship being run these days. I have three grandsons all looking to start driving within the next two years and no way I'd want them following in the old guy's tracks. At least in that area.

Last edited:
I don think you need to go to a track to enjoy driving a sporty car. Something like an M3 of M5, Boxster, 911, Miata, Alpha Romeo, etc, can be driven on regular highways near the speed limit and are still fun. On ramps, stop signs, etc give a chance to use the acceleration and sportiness. I particularly like passing on a two lane road on the way to our Lakehouse. Now something like a Turbo Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, I agree a track is really needed.

Watch out, you might sway me, M5! Actually, despite what I could away with at 22, I'm thankful for a tighter ship being run these days. I have three grandsons all looking to start driving within the next two years and no way I'd want them following in the old guy's tracks. At least in that area.

Hey, MikeTN started this by reminding me I'm getting old.

I've struggled with this from time to time. My once-ownership of a sports car was back when I was 22, living in a remote mountainous area with a lot of twisty two-lane paved road with very little traffic. So I could really play and did so. Further, if I happened to substantially exceed the limit, the local deputy (who pretty much knew everyone) would probably have shaken his head and given me what-for before cutting me loose.

DD is borrowing the Audi TT while she gets her Prius fixed. I drove it in to town for her. The drive includes about 5 miles of very twisty two-lane paved mountain road with very little traffic. I "might" have exceeded the speed limit (30 mph) a wee bit... Probably got the turbo spun up just a bit too. BTW it is still a hoot at 66! :D

Is that right, $13K? That's a screaming deal, if correct.
it was 13K from me and 5k from USAA in 11/2014 (previous car totalled - I wasn't at fault) = 18k total but brand new. Auto / extra full tire (I insisted -- they thought I was nuts but I wanted it) / 100k extended warranty was the extra 334

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom