Your auto- what you're driving now

Just 4 old Volvo's
1. 95/ 850 wagon with 355k on it and is the main work hose for house projects.
2. 97/ 960 sedan with 160K and is rear wheel drive. Great cruiser in the highway at 70-90 miles.
3. 98/ T5 with manual trans and only 100k. This is the toy car which I really enjoy to drive
4. 93/850 sedan with 190K and my son drives it to school.

I really enjoy having these cars because ~ 80% of the parts are inter changeable among them and my spare parts inventory can be small.

My first foreign car was a 71 142e, and later had an 84 Turbo, both were great cars.

My first foreign car was a 71 142e, and later had an 84 Turbo, both were great cars.

My first Volvo was 240 station wagon that I bought for 300 dollars and lasted me for 15 years. This was the car that brought me to Volvo brand.

I did have a 1986 760 turbo sedan which was kill by a snow plow. I had the car park by the curve and drive made a real wide turn and vended the car in half.

2012 Ford Escape Limited
Purchased last August. 21,000 miles at time
A little disappointed with the gas mileage, but aside from that, very happy with it.

My 2007 Infiniti M45 after detail yesterday. I can't find a car I would rather have so keep on driving it....

I like the new stuff. Fuel injectors, O2 sensors, DOHC and aluminum blocks.

Light, efficient and powerful.

The Chevy 327 was a good motor, one of the most hot rodded motors of all time. I had one in my 57 and the 4V Holly with single plane manifold and headers of course. Back in those days 1 HP/cu-in was high performance and a 300 HP 327 was a "fast" motor.

A 327 is a 5.5 liter engine. The current stock 3.5 liter Chevy V6 makes 300 HP. Not to mention you don't have to choke and puke from the stench of unburned hydrocarbons if you are behind one in traffic.

I'll take the new stuff, it's way better than the old stuff.

The Chevy 327 was a good motor, one of the most hot rodded motors of all time. I had one in my 57 and the 4V Holly with single plane manifold and headers of course. Back in those days 1 HP/cu-in was high performance and a 300 HP 327 was a "fast" motor.

A 327 is a 5.5 liter engine. The current stock 3.5 liter Chevy V6 makes 300 HP. Not to mention you don't have to choke and puke from the stench of unburned hydrocarbons if you are behind one in traffic.

sbcs are nice they just don't make as much power as the 4 cylinders

my 09 forester is probably pushing 350hp at the crank

I met a guy at the texas mile several years ago who had a 1000+ hp dsm inline 4 cyl

Me - 2007 Honda Odyssey 145Km
DW - 2016 Acura RDX 5000 Km
DS1 - 2012 Honda Civic
DS2 - 2008 Honda CRV

Yes we like Hondas. Now trying out the Acuras.

You ever modify those turbo Volvos or saabs?

I've modified a few of my turbo Saabs - they respond pretty well to some light tuning. I have a "Stage 1" tune on both my 9-5 Aero wagon and on my 9000 - that adds about 40HP, which helps keep things interesting.

I did have a "Stage 3" tune on a previous 9000, which I loved. That required a 3" exhaust (cat back) so it made some good noises too!

My experience with Honda was not so good. Bought a new 2000 Odyssey. They put a car transmission in those for several years. A friend had the same thing and his transmission lasted 85,000 miles. I was a little luckier with 140,000 miles. It was a known problem and they continued to sell them that way for several years.

My Jeep Wrangler with the new V6 is a real dog when it comes to torque, but it gets pretty good gas mileage. The old in line 6 Wrangler has a bunch more torque which makes it much nicer to drive, but poor gas mileage and I don't think they could get it to pass later emission requirements. In this case, the new engine isn't that great overall compared to the older one.

My experience with Honda was not so good. Bought a new 2000 Odyssey. They put a car transmission in those for several years. A friend had the same thing and his transmission lasted 85,000 miles. I was a little luckier with 140,000 miles. It was a known problem and they continued to sell them that way for several years.

My Jeep Wrangler with the new V6 is a real dog when it comes to torque, but it gets pretty good gas mileage. The old in line 6 Wrangler has a bunch more torque which makes it much nicer to drive, but poor gas mileage and I don't think they could get it to pass later emission requirements. In this case, the new engine isn't that great overall compared to the older one.

Not picking on Hermit-but I want to note that it is GREAT we can complain about tranny's that "only" make it to 140k.

Not picking on Hermit-but I want to note that it is GREAT we can complain about tranny's that "only" make it to 140k.

As I recall, even the "old" tranny's of the 60s and 70s often were good for 200k. In today's modern car, I would consider 140k a pretty short lifespan. I think that is shown in a lot of the posts in this thread.

2006 Saab 9-3
2002 Honda CRV

We only bought new once, in our mid-20s, when we traded in two burned out clunkers for a sweet little Toyota pickup on credit thanks to future DW's first professional job. We then promptly quit our jobs, sold all our stuff and spent the summer visiting western National Parks and camping. Our best summer so far. A young and dumb decision, knowing what I know at 50 now about debt but, of course, we kept that truck 16 years.

As I recall, even the "old" tranny's of the 60s and 70s often were good for 200k. In today's modern car, I would consider 140k a pretty short lifespan. I think that is shown in a lot of the posts in this thread.

For 60s and 70s cars 100k was decent for the car to survive. They usually had some sort of major issue popping up by then. Might be tranny, might be rust, engine, etc.

My 76 (which I still own) made it to 100k on the motor before a rebuild. 120k on the tranny.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1466688772.699776.jpgduring the spring, summer, and fall months, I drive a Honda Grom. Otherwise, it's a 1999 Honda CR-V or 2012 Honda Odyssey. Can you tell I like Hondas.

I better not die right after retiring! I've saved for years to be able to enjoy the money and time. (This is one of my fears)

Agree. I am not big on nostalgia and the new cars are way faster, safer, don't rust, more comfortable, more reliable, handle much better,etc. Not to mention new cars are generally cheaper on an inflation adjusted basis.

Many people want to relive their youth and try to make up for the fact they couldn't have these old cars at the time. I understand that. I view the old cars more as "art" than actual transportation.

You ever modify those turbo Volvos or saabs?

I done just some minor stuff with the turbos, I shorten the waste gate rod to make it spool sooner.

I been planning on putting a stage 2 kit from IPD and that ought to make the T5 much more fun.:dance:

Many people want to relive their youth and try to make up for the fact they couldn't have these old cars at the time. I understand that. I view the old cars more as "art" than actual transportation.

How very true the above statement is.

Nostalgia sells and old cars (and motorcycles) are an art form. An expensive habit that parallels what others spend on boats and RV's (I have friends who keep me current on their cash flow drains :LOL:).

I'd love to have another 1965 Corvette back again, but it's cost now (in the same condition as mine was in 1970) would be ~ $75,000. That's 39 times what I paid for mine. :(

How very true the above statement is.

Nostalgia sells and old cars (and motorcycles) are an art form. An expensive habit that parallels what others spend on boats and RV's (I have friends who keep me current on their cash flow drains :LOL:).

I'd love to have another 1965 Corvette back again, but it's cost now (in the same condition as mine was in 1970) would be ~ $75,000. That's 39 times what I paid for mine. :(

The guys I Know like old cars cuz they are attractive and relatively easy to work on. Get away from Vettes, Stangs and Camaro types, and they are also relatively cheap. ANd they are grandfathered in for smog control, etc. in many locations. Its not just nostalgia.

My 76 Monte is more than nostalgia-it is great for transportation, handles beautifully. Very comfortable.

Get away from Vettes, Stangs and Camaro types, and they are also relatively cheap.

have you looked at how cheap C4 vettes are? I almost bought one for $5K a few weeks ago. Heck I've seen low mileage C5s go for around $10K.

I know getting a vette isn't in the spirit of LBYM, especially since I have 3 cars but it's one of those things I promised myself I'd do when I was a kid.

have you looked at how cheap C4 vettes are? I almost bought one for $5K a few weeks ago. Heck I've seen low mileage C5s go for around $10K.

I know getting a vette isn't in the spirit of LBYM, especially since I have 3 cars but it's one of those things I promised myself I'd do when I was a kid.

Yeah, Vettes vary widely in price based on model.

People that have these cars today do tend to reminisce, but more often than not its because they actually did own these cars in their youth. They were certainly more affordable back then than now. Wish I still had my Motion Performance SS396 Chevelle, it would be worth a good buck today. But as you say, they definitely are art vs practical transportation, except when going to shows, and possibly drag or vintage car racing.

Back
Top Bottom