Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nissan Altimas, wife has a 2016, I have a 2015.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

2004 Toyota Solara convertible. About 75k miles on it. Absolutely love it, especially this time of year! Wish they still made them, as no doubt at some point this one will die on me.

I've always bought new, but am definitely considering used for my next one. Always liked the BMW 3-series convertibles, but didn't want to spend the money on one.
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Your auto- what you're driving now
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I have always been a performance car guy, so would like something like an M3, GTR, Z06 vette, or maybe a Cobra replica before I get too old...

I've struggled with this from time to time. My once-ownership of a sports car was back when I was 22, living in a remote mountainous area with a lot of twisty two-lane paved road with very little traffic. So I could really play and did so. Further, if I happened to substantially exceed the limit, the local deputy (who pretty much knew everyone) would probably have shaken his head and given me what-for before cutting me loose.

Whenever I think of getting a sports car today I wonder what the purpose would be. Shy of a track, I'd never have the opportunity to really test the performance and handling. Even were I unwise enough to do so, the penalties these days would be a much different story, not to mention the embarrassment of being way past old enough to know better! Not saying that's wrong or that it was ok back then - that's just the way it was and is. But it does manage to keep me away from the dealer and my wallet in my pocket so there's an upside.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

I drive a 2005 Honda Accord with 97,000+ miles. It is reliable and safe, but it is more of a boat of a car than I thought it was when I bought it used in 2008. If I were to go back, I would get something smaller.

My daughter drives our 2006 Scion xA when she is home from college. When she is away at college, I drive it because it is a fun little car to drive around town.

My wife drives the 2011 Honda CRV. That car is great. We always take it on trips longer than an hour. I never used to think that brand of tires made that big of a difference, but we put Michelins on that car, and the difference was stark compared to the tires the car came with.

Best thing about all those cars is that they are all paid for.
LeavingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #165
Full time employment: Posting here.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Old 06-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
How do you like the Ecodiesel? I've been thinking about one in the event my VW diesel goes away.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #167
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post

Whenever I think of getting a sports car today I wonder what the purpose would be. Shy of a track, I'd never have the opportunity to really test the performance and handling. Even were I unwise enough to do so, the penalties these days would be a much different story, not to mention the embarrassment of being way past old enough to know better! Not saying that's wrong or that it was ok back then - that's just the way it was and is. But it does manage to keep me away from the dealer and my wallet in my pocket so there's an upside.
I don't advocate crazy driving on public roadways. For me, I was an early member of a club for sports car owners that is located a little south of Ft Worth. It has 3 tracks, but is a members only facility except for perhaps some limited opportunities to the public. Many tracks around the country have open days where you can run your car if you want to test your driving skills, although they may require some additional things to pass a safety inspection and driving with an instructor to ensure you know what you are doing. I still have my nomex suit, boots, and gloves, but sold my helmet. Nevertheless, you can still have some enjoyment on the street given the handling and power these cars have without breaking the law.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I don't advocate crazy driving on public roadways. For me, I was an early member of a club for sports car owners that is located a little south of Ft Worth. It has 3 tracks, but is a members only facility except for perhaps some limited opportunities to the public. Many tracks around the country have open days where you can run your car if you want to test your driving skills, although they may require some additional things to pass a safety inspection and driving with an instructor to ensure you know what you are doing. I still have my nomex suit, boots, and gloves, but sold my helmet. Nevertheless, you can still have some enjoyment on the street given the handling and power these cars have without breaking the law.

Watch out, you might sway me, M5! Actually, despite what I could away with at 22, I'm thankful for a tighter ship being run these days. I have three grandsons all looking to start driving within the next two years and no way I'd want them following in the old guy's tracks. At least in that area.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #169

I don think you need to go to a track to enjoy driving a sporty car. Something like an M3 of M5, Boxster, 911, Miata, Alpha Romeo, etc, can be driven on regular highways near the speed limit and are still fun. On ramps, stop signs, etc give a chance to use the acceleration and sportiness. I particularly like passing on a two lane road on the way to our Lakehouse. Now something like a Turbo Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, I agree a track is really needed.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #170
gone traveling

Quote:
Watch out, you might sway me, M5! Actually, despite what I could away with at 22, I'm thankful for a tighter ship being run these days. I have three grandsons all looking to start driving within the next two years and no way I'd want them following in the old guy's tracks. At least in that area.
Hey, MikeTN started this by reminding me I'm getting old.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #171

2014 Honda Civic bought new 11/14 for 13,334. Pd off. Fulfills function of getting me from point A to point B
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #172

Quote:
I've struggled with this from time to time. My once-ownership of a sports car was back when I was 22, living in a remote mountainous area with a lot of twisty two-lane paved road with very little traffic. So I could really play and did so. Further, if I happened to substantially exceed the limit, the local deputy (who pretty much knew everyone) would probably have shaken his head and given me what-for before cutting me loose.

DD is borrowing the Audi TT while she gets her Prius fixed. I drove it in to town for her. The drive includes about 5 miles of very twisty two-lane paved mountain road with very little traffic. I "might" have exceeded the speed limit (30 mph) a wee bit... Probably got the turbo spun up just a bit too. BTW it is still a hoot at 66!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #173
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
2014 Honda Civic bought new 11/14 for 13,334. Pd off. Fulfills function of getting me from point A to point B

Is that right, $13K? That's a screaming deal, if correct.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post

I'm afraid if we could find a new Civic for anywhere near that price I'd have to tell DW "Well, there goes the Tesla 3".
Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
it was 13K from me and 5k from USAA in 11/2014 (previous car totalled - I wasn't at fault) = 18k total but brand new. Auto / extra full tire (I insisted -- they thought I was nuts but I wanted it) / 100k extended warranty was the extra 334
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I don think you need to go to a track to enjoy driving a sporty car. Something like an M3 of M5, Boxster, 911, Miata, Alpha Romeo, etc, can be driven on regular highways near the speed limit and are still fun. On ramps, stop signs, etc give a chance to use the acceleration and sportiness. I particularly like passing on a two lane road on the way to our lake house.

You make a good case, Danmar. And if I ever pull the trigger again, I'll do so figuring those are good enough reasons by themselves. You might be interested to know that the "remote mountainous area" to which I referred in my original post was a couple hours NNW of your southern abode. 😀
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #177

Quote:
You make a good case, Danmar. And if I ever pull the trigger again, I'll do so figuring those are good enough reasons by themselves. You might be interested to know that the "remote mountainous area" to which I referred in my original post was a couple hours NNW of your southern abode. 😀
Interesting. Was this road near Sedona? I have a sporty convertible in Arizona. Maybe I should take a ride up there? The other thing to consider is as we get older (I'm almost 66) it seems easier to get a thrill driving. Maybe our senses have slowed down a bit and it just seems more thrilling?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I don think you need to go to a track to enjoy driving a sporty car. Something like an M3 of M5, Boxster, 911, Miata, Alpha Romeo, etc, can be driven on regular highways near the speed limit and are still fun. On ramps, stop signs, etc give a chance to use the acceleration and sportiness. I particularly like passing on a two lane road on the way to our Lakehouse. Now something like a Turbo Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, I agree a track is really needed.
I don't know about the other cars but I have owned a few Alpha Romeo Spyders and they never failed to put a grin on my face regardless of speed or where I was driving. The engine had such a great sound I never even used the radio. The new Fiat Spider looks like fun too. My wife had a Fiat 2000 and loved that car. Of course it was a lot like the Alpha.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently splurged (for me anyway) and got into a M235i. Not the most common car but each day I enjoy it more and more. Bought it used but it comes with BMW maintenance and remainder of warranty.

Previously was driving a E46 M3 and a E36 M3 before that. I row the gears and prefer the 6MT cars. If you have not driven one go give it a shot. 0-60 in less than 5.0 seconds. Not that I've done it

Some M car enthusiasts don't consider this a true "M" car but hey it works for me. The M2 was way out of reach $$ wise for me.

235idrivefront.jpg

Also have dad's 1985 GMC S-15. Nice to have a truck for those occasional Home Depot runs. The a 1972 Nova (almost restored).
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I don't know about the other cars but I have owned a few Alpha Romeo Spyders and they never failed to put a grin on my face regardless of speed or where I was driving. The engine had such a great sound I never even used the radio. The new Fiat Spider looks like fun too. My wife had a Fiat 2000 and loved that car. Of course it was a lot like the Alpha.

Cheers!
Never driven an Alpha Romeo but a good friend just got one for her birthday. She loves it. Very light, quick and loads of fun she says.