Your Faithful Troll, on Station

I didn't really get the point of the article. But I sure enjoyed BigNick's rejoinder.

I guess Haha is waiting for the end of civilization as we know it (this time - as there have been several such ends in human history).

Haha - you are older than me. Sure I believe our current modern civilization will end some day - and maybe even within the next 100 years. But somehow I don't expect it to occur within my lifetime - or if it does, I'll be too old to care. Such major changes take time.

Audrey

Audrey, I share your basic philosophy and have a hard time managing a whole lot of hand-wringing for what may come to pass after I, er, pass. Maybe my childfree status makes me more indifferent to the future, but it is hard for me to generate fears for future generations that might not happen.

Audrey, I share your basic philosophy and have a hard time managing a whole lot of hand-wringing for what may come to pass after I, er, pass. Maybe my childfree status makes me more indifferent to the future, but it is hard for me to generate fears for future generations that might not happen.

I also have no children, so maybe that makes a big difference.

Audrey

Doesn't every generation worry about the next? Meanwhile, technology and quality of life continues to improve with every successive generation, regardless of gloom and doom pundits.

Doesn't every generation worry about the next? Meanwhile, technology and quality of life continues to improve with every successive generation, regardless of gloom and doom pundits.

No matter how good it is now, we always look back on the past as "the good old days". The good old days weren't really as good as we think!

I guess the consensus is everything is as good as it can get and getting better all the time. So shut up and get with the program. (In practice that seems to mean squirrel away as much money as one can, and then withdraw from anything other than tinkering with the details of cheap living and consumer spending and doing enough housework to keep whoever is boss happy.

Might as well close up history departments and the rest of non-technical universities, and be done with this idle speculation. And get rid of opinion pieces, and magazines like Foreigh Affairs.

I am somewhat amazed by the the "après moi, le déluge" sentiment. I thought that a concern for well being that went beyond one's own self and time was accepted as a virtue, but not in these parts apparently.

Ha

On the contrary, I think it just means that, at least for me, that I recognize the limits of my ability to change the world. Better to improve my own circumstances and do what I can individually (through volunteer work, charity, what-have-you) to make a difference in the here and now.

And I don't do any housework to speak of, Ha. ;)

There is always room for further improvement; but as a rule things do improve from generation to generation. My standard of living is better than my parents; their standard of living was better than my grandparents. Gloom and doom prophecies have been around forever; remember that the world was coming to an end on at midnight on Dec 31st, 1999. Or, that the spaceship hiding behind the comet Kahoutek was going to take away everyone who drank the special kool-aid. I'm not advocating that we ignore every warning sign out there; I do believe there will be consequences for successive generations from the lack of fiscal restraint in our government today, today, for example. Will it be painful? Maybe. Will they figure it out? Absolutely. But I'm not going to hide under my bed worrying about it in the meantime. I've always been a glass-half-full man, myself. But, maybe that's just me.

I guess the consensus is everything is as good as it can get and getting better all the time. So shut up and get with the program. (In practice that seems to mean squirrel away as much money as one can, and then withdraw from anything other than tinkering with the details of cheap living and consumer spending and doing enough housework to keep whoever is boss happy.

Might as well close up history departments and the rest of non-technical universities, and be done with this idle speculation. And get rid of opinion pieces, and magazines like Foreign Affairs.

I am somewhat amazed by the "après moi, le déluge" sentiment. I thought that a concern for well being that went beyond one's own self and time was accepted as a virtue, but not in these parts apparently. But one little historical detail might question someone's confidence that even if difficulty did arrive, it would be a very long time coming. In the thirties, when much of Europe was exploring or jumping into fascist statism we in America were getting close to various statist solutions, mostly of the leftward leaning variety. So how many years elapsed between the roaring twenties and the severe challenges of the 30s, even here in America?

While I appreciate Audrey giving me an age pass- well you will surely not be around to see any of this- I think that even my feeble body might be able to keep going long enough for some play-out using timetables from recent history.

Ha

I am somewhat amazed by the "après moi, le déluge" sentiment. I thought that a concern for well being that went beyond one's own self and time was accepted as a virtue, but not in these parts apparently. But one little historical detail might question someone's confidence that even if difficulty did arrive, it would be a very long time coming. In the thirties, when much of Europe was exploring or jumping into fascist statism we in America were getting close to various statist solutions, mostly of the leftward leaning variety. So how many years elapsed between the roaring twenties and the severe challenges of the 30s, even here in America?

While I appreciate Audrey giving me an age pass- well you will surely not be around to see any of this- I think that even my feeble body might be able to keep going long enough for some play-out using timetables from recent history.
Well yes, I definitely have an attitude of if I can't do anything about it, or I'm not willing to devote my life to fighting it, I'm not going to worry about it. I have my own life to live, and my efforts are best focused within my own small sphere of influence - with my friends and family and local community.

Personally, I really enjoy nature and we all know that unspoiled natural areas have been shrinking forever. I get involved here and there to help save tiny pieces, but there is not a whole lot I can do about the big picture. Every decade that goes by more stuff disappears. If you think about it long enough, you can get really depressed. I guess I decided a while ago to quit feeling depressed about it. I'll go see and appreciate what I can during my lifetime.

And in the first 5 years of my life we had the Cuban Missile Crisis and President Kennedy's assassination. The rest of that decade (60s) and the next weren't that great either. It's just really hard for me to get bent out of shape with todays problems when I grew up with the Cold War, Vietnam, very ugly fights for Civil Rights, totalitarian regimes all over the world and Mutually Assured Destruction as the main US foreign policy.

One day the human race will be wiped off the face of the earth. Fortunately, the earth will probably continue to function and other forms of life persist. It really doesn't bother me that the human race might disappear one day.

Audrey

P.S. I'm busy watching a major regional flood in my backyard, and our plumbing project is not going that smoothly either. So it's a little hard for me sometimes to pay attention to the bigger world.

One day the human race will be wiped off the face of the earth. Fortunately, the earth will probably continue to function and other forms of life persist. It really doesn't bother me that the human race might disappear one day.
Audrey

Based on the geologic record, cockroaches and trolls will probably survive.

as a rule things do improve from generation to generation

Salutations. This is Onward's avatar. He is off idling somewhere, but I felt compelled to proffer my humble observations in his stead:

As with our colleges, so with a hundred "modern improvements"; there is an illusion about them; there is not always a positive advance. . . . Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end.

Might as well close up history departments and the rest of non-technical universities, and be done with this idle speculation. And get rid of opinion pieces, and magazines like Foreign Affairs.

Ha

Ha,

I did not read the article... so only commenting on your comment...

I do not think that everything is 'as good as it can get'... nor would I say shut up and get with the program... but gloom and doom has been out there forever... and every once in awhile something really bad happens..

But take my mom.. she is 90... born just after WWI... it was not a great time then... but improved... she was a young teen during the great depression... but worked hard and survived... She lived through the food rationing of WWII and the problems then... she lived through the rip roaring 50s and had 5 more kids (total of 6)... she lived through the down 60s... poor all the time... Vietnam came and went... with only 1 BIL in harms way... the other that was old enough was a clerk state side... she lived through the high inflation... or should I say stagflation in the 70s... her husband died in 1980... but they had finally saved some money to invest... she did well in the 80s and 90s... I had her diversified during the tech bubble, so not as bad a thing to her... this last one has kind of passed her by as she is not tapping her savings right now... she is happy...

And that is my point... a long life of ups and downs... and some downs where there was no food to eat... this down will go away in my lifetime (at least I hope I continue to live!!!)... and life will be a bowl of cherries again... and later in my life.... we will have another downturn with hand wringing and doom and gloom... so that is why I do not worry to much about the state we are in... it will be fixed when enough of the people want it changed.... I for one want it changed NOW... but even if it is not, I will be happy in my life... If I lose everything... I will find a way to keep alive and... hopefully be happy....

Hesiod said:
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly, all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.

That's Hesiod as in the Greek poet, circa 700 BCE. About 100 generations have come and gone since...

And that is my point... a long life of ups and downs... and some downs where there was no food to eat... this down will go away in my lifetime (at least I hope I continue to live!!!)... and life will be a bowl of cherries again... and later in my life.... we will have another downturn with hand wringing and doom and gloom... so that is why I do not worry to much about the state we are in... it will be fixed when enough of the people want it changed.... I for one want it changed NOW... but even if it is not, I will be happy in my life... If I lose everything... I will find a way to keep alive and... hopefully be happy....

Texas, I appreciate you serious post and agree with what you say, and with most of what has been said in this thread. My main point is technical. I don’t equate speculating on or analysis of political economy to handwringing. The pen is a mighty instrument, and there is no reason that I or anyone else should refrain from speaking up about what to me at least appear to be glaringly wrong turns, just because I don’t know how or don't have the power to remedy them. The same skills than can clearly enunciate or point out something are not necessarily the right ones to remedy it, and for that matter vice versa also holds.

For most of us a far larger component of personal happiness will be our personal health and how we are treated by people who are close to us. Still, there is room for less personal intellectual concern and involvement.

In American culture, a perennially popular shut-up tactic is to call one who mentions a flaw in the body politic a hand wringer, or suggest that one’s glass should be half full, or that one shouldn’t hide under his bed. These are simply red herrings, and can easily dismissed by any reader of even middling education or experience.

Perhaps the following is not true of most posters, but I post on practical things, occasional personal things, and also on impersonal aspects of political economy. To me the distinction is fairly obvious.

If anyone is worried that I am getting morose, be assured that I am not. Last night was the third time this week that I went out dancing, and I have a date tonight, my relationships are good and casi todo está bien.

img_958501_0_afb2f7d058892d0ce46ad00c38aedf67.jpg

I guess I have never completely lost my taste for college bull sessions or classrom discussions.

Ha

Ha -

I have always respected your point of view and I hope you don't change the stuff you want to share or feel is relevant to us all

And

I will only worry if you sell PM and start posting about how you had a delicious bowl of Ramen noodles the previous night :)

Seattle hi temp = 72F, a bit of cloudiness, with zero chance of rain. I am envious.

Wow, he's still posting on ER.org 100 generations later!:D

What's his SWR? And waht does he do all day? :whistle:

I guess I have never completely lost my taste for college bull sessions or classrom discussions.

Ha

I enjoy discussions like these, but I find that there's so much extreme polarization these days (though it may not actually be any worse than previous times) that a "discussion", i.e. one that might actually come to a compromise agreement, is difficult...

The current and recent past presidents are prime examples. Satan both... :LOL:

High public and private debt, religious and political extremism, pollution and "climate change", inflation (deflation?), bird flu, swine flu, overpopulation...

And I can't find a moderately conservative rep or president who could be elected, because they wouldn't "energize the base"...

I stumbled upon another disturbing piece like that.

There are "pogroms against bankers" and taxes are too high, therefore "the political equality of the citizen must be ended"?! Who is paying these guys?

Hobson - Summer 2010 - Global Custodian

Oog. A 'rentier political class'? "The only lasting solution to the plague of unlimited democracy is to attack democracy at it's moral foundation: the political equality of the citizen." :eek:

I'm not entirely sure that this would be a place I'd be happy living in. A glorified feudal state might not be the best place for early retirement, unless I were part of the landed aristocracy, of course.

That's the fun thing about free speech, though. We can express whatever ideas the little voices in our heads come up with, and others are free to ignore them, find entertainment, or engage in the fine art of dialectic.

Me? I like to watch...
eatingpopcorn.gif

Interesting idea:

Why Earthquakes Rock Democracies Less

In a democracy, leaders must maintain the confidence of large portions of the population in order to stay in power. To do so, they need to protect the people from natural disasters by enforcing building codes and ensuring that bureaucracies are run by competent administrators. When politicians fail to deliver -- by, for example, letting too many die in disasters -- they lose their jobs. On average, 39 percent of democracies experience anti-government protests within any two-year period. The rate almost doubles after a major earthquake (defined as one that results in more than 200 casualties). And whereas 40 percent of democratic nations replace their leader in any two-year period, between 1976 and 2007, 91 percent of them did so following a major earthquake.
Indeed, a lack of political will to confront disasters plagues nondemocratic regimes, which, unlike democratic governments, do not rely on popular support. As in democracies, the rate of anti-government protests almost doubles after major earthquakes, but the rate at which the governments are deposed does not increase by nearly as much -- from 22 percent over any two-year period to 24 percent following a major earthquake. Democratically elected leaders are highly sensitive to casualties from natural disasters, but nondemocratic leaders are not. And, indeed, the latter do a poor job of protecting their citizens from Mother Nature.

Back
Top Bottom