Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Your favorite "low life cycle cost" brands
Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just want to say that it is a real pleasure to have found "frugal" kindred spirits who sometimes even out frugal me . In my neck of the world, "frugal" or "cheap" are dirty words if you are a middle to high income earner :-/.

I am single so I don't spend too much. I usually wait for sales, although recently I haven't seen too many that would interest me.
About 20 years ago I bought a dozen of Izod Lacoste golf polo shirts at a company warehouse sale for $10 each. I still have 8 left and in pretty good shape except for some minor food stains that I just could not get out.
Wrangler makes good Docker style pants on sales in 2004 for $14 at K-Mart. Although, jeans are cool, I prefer these because they are lighter and more comfortable.
Lastly I've had my Toyota Camry for 13 years. Like the bic pen, it works the first time and every time. I have not had to put much money into it.

Cheers,

MJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Old Navy cargo shorts and sandals or running shoes, with maybe a t-shirt, are the extent of my summer wardrobe. *I've had the same three or four pairs for going on three years.

Levis and Carharts in the winter.

Some brands meet my "low life-cycle cost" requirement without being "cheap," so to speak. *Doc Martens shoes, Mountain Hardware fleece, a Gary Fisher mountain bike. *Nice tools, too. *I like DeWalt and Porter-Cable and Grizzly.

And beers: Miller Lite when it's hot and Guinness when it's cold. *I consider beer a low life-cycle cost product when I buy it by the keg, and a high life-cycle cost product when I buy it by the can.

Ed

Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have sorta solved the ugly/wrong colored appliance problem. I took a fridge to an autobody shop and had it painted, charged me a $100 and did I would never be able to do....paint and not mess up the finish.
Looks new.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #24

Quote:
I have sorta solved the ugly/wrong colored appliance problem. *I took a fridge to an autobody shop and had it painted, charged me a $100 and did I would never be able to do....paint and not mess up the finish.
Looks new.
Our fridge is so covered with various free magnets and pictures drawn by nieces and nephews that I'm not sure what color it is.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #25

Helios,
Since one cannot exactly tuck a fridge under the arm and carry it to the auto paint shop, how did you get it there? The logistics have me puzzled.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quite a few years back I spoke with a furniture upholsterer. She worked out of her home and was booked for more than a year. She had to be in her 70s. Anyway, she was pricey and couldn't get to me for a very long time, so I asked her who made the most durable furniture. I figured, who would know better than someone who tears apart used furniture and witnesses the damage? Without hesitation she said Flexsteel. So I bought some Flexsteel furniture and it's still as good as the day I bought it.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Guest,
first you empty it!!, then a 2wheeler and a pickup make short work of it, just like when you move.
I learned how to move stuff in college, couple of us made extra money moving stuff for cash.
I guess one can do the metalflake with flames if you wanted.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Although this isn't a brand, I like www.sierratradingpost.com as a source for seriously discounted shoes and a variety of other stuff. I like my shoes to be good quality and they often have great deals. I haven't bought shoes anywhere else in years. Who wants to pay full price for Birkenstocks, Eccos or Joseph Siebels.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Although this isn't a brand, I like www.sierratradingpost.com as a source for seriously discounted shoes and a variety of other stuff. *I like my shoes to be good quality and they often have great deals. *I haven't bought shoes anywhere else in years. *Who wants to pay full price for Birkenstocks, Eccos or Joseph Siebels.
Martha, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! *This is a great place for Birks, I bought my first pair 15 yrs ago when pregnant with first son. *Had a "dress up job" *and heels and hose in Tucson in summer were not cutting it. *So, bought a pair of Birks for off hours and still have them (along with 5 other pairs). *They can be re-soled and the foot bed replaced, good as new. *Also love Clarks and Josef Seibels. *For clothes, I try to buy good brands quality at yard sales, thrift stores, church rummage sales, etc. *It's amazing what people get rid of!

Judy
Old 01-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have gotten several items of good quality, low relative cost from Sierra as well. They are online, and I also have them send paper catalogs. I think paper are easier to peruse.
Lands End Overstocks is another favorite place. This has the added advantage now of being able to return items to Sears instead of having to mail them back.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm not advocating a lifestyle change, especially where it concerns beer, but second refrigerators are one of the biggest energy hogs you can eliminate. *It's the first question asked by every home-efficiency surveyor. *So if you need a second fridge because you're consuming it faster than your first fridge can chill it, then perhaps it is time for a new fridge!
Heh! You are talking to someone who didn't sneeze at dropping $1500 for a custom made, all stainless 10 gallon brewing system. Dropping a beer fridge (or the chest freezer with the external thermostat on it) is most definately not an option. I'm happy to drive my crappy old econobox and buy offbrand anything, but you can pry my homebrew toys out of my cold, dead hands (and maybe not even then).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, my most prized toy to date is my Trek mountain bike which I bought 6 years ago for a couple thousand bucks. I could probably buy a cheaper mountain bike but I was young and stupid, and I wanted a cool bike. Well I do have fun with the bike and ride it every summer so it's probably worth it.

When I bought my snowboard, boots and bindings, I was a bit wiser and a couple of years older so I bought last year's model and did save money but that purchase still set me back pretty money. However since I go snowboarding every winter, I suppose it is worth it. The brand of the snowboarding equipment escapes me right now but it was one of the decent, mid-range brands.

I bought a good running shoes for $60 last year and I may have to replace it this year or next.

I also bought a good hiking boots 5 years ago for pretty pennies but it has lasted me for 5 years and still good so it was worth it. I go camping and hiking a lot.

What else? Ah yes, my ice skates. I got boy's hockey style ice skate which cost more than girls' figure skating style ice skate but since I hate toe pick with a passion, it was worth the difference. My skates are now three years old and still in good shape.

I used to spend money on clothing but not anymore. Now I buy work clothing at Sears when they are on sale and non-work clothing at Old Navy's.

Jane
Old 01-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #33

Quote:
For me, my most prized toy to date is my Trek mountain bike which I bought 6 years ago
This reminded me of the Peugeot PX210 road bicycle that I bought about 30 years ago for $250 which was a top bicycle in its day. It is still my main bike and use it for commuting, shopping and long trips.
I got back into biking just after 9/11 as an alternative mode of transportation to cut back on my gas consumption. I have put over 15k, just in the last 3 years and a total of 35k since I bought it.

Did I get my money's worth?

MJ
Old 01-20-2005, 06:36 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

You certainly did MJ If my bike lasted for 30 years I would be quite happy. I guess all the money you put in is for replacement parts?

Jane
Old 01-20-2005, 07:17 AM   #35

Quote:
I guess all the money you put in is for replacement parts?
I think -s-he (edit:oops) meant 15k and 35k miles, not dollars. Or maybe something went over my head...
Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #36

Quote:
I guess all the money you put in is for replacement parts?
Hi Jane,
I was referring to miles. I probably spent no more than $800 for maintenance which included tubes, tires and brake parts. I do my own maintenance. The bike still has some of the original parts. The rest are pretty old as well.
I think $15k to $35k would have been a heck of lot of money to spend on maintaining a bicycle. With that kind of money, I could have spent $2k to $4k every 5 years for a new top of the line bicycle. I am too frugal for that

Quote:
I think she meant
Hi BMJ,

I'm a he.

MJ
Old 01-20-2005, 09:01 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Goodness!

My brain is still on vacation. Sorry...

Jane
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Goodness!
My brain is still on vacation. Sorry...
Jane
Not a bad thing for your brain to be in.

In 4 months, I hope to have my brain in vacation mode a good part of the time, for the next 40 years.

MJ
Old 01-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
For me, my most prized toy to date is my Trek mountain bike which I bought 6 years ago for a couple thousand bucks. I could probably buy a cheaper mountain bike but I was young and stupid, and I wanted a cool bike. Well I do have fun with the bike and ride it every summer so it's probably worth it.
I also have and prize a Trek mountain bike. Given the number of years I have had it and the peanuts I have spent on maintenance it has been pretty cost effective. My Ocean Kayak kayak plus accessories have cost me less than $70 per year amortized over 12 years and have yielded many hours of inexpensive fun. Alas The Man keeps me turning the crank too much these days so the mountain bike sits in the garage while the kayak sees action when it can. My digital camera also sees a ton of use as does my, gulp, media room. The media room is my self-treat for tolerating The Man.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #40

[quote]

$1.67/pair of socks
$17/pair of shoes (dress/tennis/casual)
$8/pair of pants/jeans
$8/shirt
$2/boxers

I find it is not just the price point but the brand name. Something that I pay extra for upfront but think is a bargin is gold toe socks but not for $8 a pair. I get them bundled and wait for a sale and then buy them on a weekend when the store offers a coupon. I find they always fit, wear a long time and when I buy 6-9 new pairs I can toss them in with the old and in about a year I am no longer match the "new" socks together.

I also find that buying the same brand of underware saves money in the long run because we each have a brand that we like the fit of. Underware that fit - priceless.

Most of the rest of our clothes I get from thrift stores because retail does not come close (at least for my area).

Dh likes craftsman tools.

We also like Toyotas and Hondas and own 4 right now - not counting motorcycles which would add two more.