Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Your favorite "low life cycle cost" brands
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #41

I'll also vote for Craftsman tools. I'm not a tool guy as such, but I do have craftsman and when I have broken one, I take it back to Sears and they give me a new one. I like that Lifetime Warranty.

I'll throw HP printers in for the New Tech Age - They are basically no brainers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll also vote for Craftsman tools. I'm not a tool guy as such, but I do have craftsman and when I have broken one, I take it back to Sears and they give me a new one. I like that Lifetime Warranty.
I do too. Unfortunately, their lifetime warranty may not survive ours.

MJ

Old 01-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #43

Quote:
I'll throw HP printers in for the New Tech Age - They are basically no brainers.
For printers I would suggest getting a used workgroup laser printer. These have drum lives on the order of 200K pages or more. You can often pick these up pretty cheaply and they will last a long time. I'm currently running a used Apple LaserWriter 16/600 (engine rated for 16 pages per minute and 600 DPI print resolution) that I got for $200 about 3 years ago. At that time I was using an old DEC laser printer from the early 90's (DECLaser 1142 - the first laser printer to be "affordable" enough for individual use). It was working fine and the only reason I had to get rid of it was because of the connection options on it. I handed it off to my sister and it's still running fine.

So, just get yourself a used workgroup class laser printer preferably one with the Canon "engine". Very few printer makers manufacture the basic guts of the machine. Most buy an engine from somebody (Canon, Xerox, etc.) and then slap a box and some electronics on it. These workgroup printers will have way more features than the current personal laser printers - Postscript, upgradeable memory, ethernet connections, more built in fonts, possible hard drive on board (storage of pre-built documents, images, or fonts), etc. They are also a lot more rugged. The cost to run these is far better than that of ink jet printers though you won't be getting colour output. The only other downside is that they will take up some more space.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking of printers - has anyone tried refilling their ink-jet cartridges? I tried once. I followed all the directions to a T and it was pretty worthless - the quality was terrible. I still have a bunch of ink. Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Speaking of printers - has anyone tried refilling their ink-jet cartridges? I tried once. I followed all the directions to a T and it was pretty worthless - the quality was terrible. I still have a bunch of ink. Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

Bob,

I would not even go there! - I have seen the mess a re-fillable ink pen made in the 60's. That's one reason I like the HP printers with the cartridges.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Bob,

I would not even go there! - I have seen the mess a re-fillable ink pen made in the 60's. That's one reason I like the HP printers with the cartridges.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too. The process was easy - maybe 5-10 minutes, and it wasn't messy. Just squirt the ink into the HP cartridge and reinstall. I only tried it on once, but the result was crap.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too. The process was easy - maybe 5-10 minutes, and it wasn't messy. Just squirt the ink into the HP cartridge and reinstall. I only tried it on once, but the result was crap.
If you can get yourself a used workgroup laser printer then you can run maybe 7K to 9K pages on a $60-100 toner cartridge. That is a lot cheaper than inkjets. You can't do colour but for most people the only real colour that they print is for the kids (entertainment or maybe maps/drawings for school) or for photos. Just about any inkjet that you are going to run at home will not print out photo quality pictures. For $0.25 you can get photo quality printing from Wally World or Costco and you don't have to worry about the inkjet ink drying up between usage.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #48

Thanks Hyper. A few weeks ago I bought an HP ink-jet at Sam's for about $80. It's a scanner/copier/printer. I wanted to have that copy feature. I don't use it often, but when I need it, it's nice to be able to make a copy at the press of a button. If I were doing a lot of printing I'd go with a laser.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Websites for cheap ink

Bob, these sites got some positive responses on Morningstar's Tightwad Tips board.

I'm not sure which is cheapest-- the ink or its quality. I haven't had to order yet but if you run out before I do, let me know how it goes...

http://www.123inkjets.com/

http://www.lasermonks.com/

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bob,
I had poor results with the "universal" refill kit I bought at Sam's. No problem getting the ink into the cartridge, but the jets clogged up soon.
I've been using high quality refill ink built for my printer brand (Lexmark) through an online seller (inksell.com). This deluxe kit is better for two reasons:
- The ink is formulated for the specific printhead used in your printer cartridges. Different printers really do have different ink specs, and this reduces clogging.
- The good kit comes with a jig and a syringe that allows you to suck a little ink through all the jets to clean them out when you refill. The universal kit didn't come with one of these.

It takes about 10 minutes, including cleanup, to fill each cartridge after you've done it once. Easy, quick, and nearly as convenient as buying them. Much lower cost. Better for the environment. Think dryer sheets.

samclem
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #51

Thanks Nords and samclem. I'm going to try a kit from inksell.com.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #52

Bob,
Not sure this is still true but saw a couple newpaper tech columnist comment on this several months ago.
They did not test inksell.com system but in general commented that a number of printer manufacturers have a time/use factor that will allow a certain number of pages of non manufacturer ink and then crash the unit. Epson printers seemed to be the most notorious for blowing/freezing their jets.
Good luck!
nwsteve
Old 02-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi folks .. hope you don't mind a newbie chiming in ...

Nords, (nice to meet you, BTW) I buy from 123 inkjets, and while I don't have a problem with the ink quality, I'm not sure those cartridges hold as much ink as the manufacturer's cartridges.
As for whether the printer will blow using them ... I probably used at least 8 of each in my Canon printer over the holidays (DH did Christmas cards and calendars), and it's going strong. If it does blow, well, it cost all of $50. Considering I save about $10 per color cartridge, I figure I'm ahead of the game ...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Bob,
Not sure this is still true but saw a couple newpaper tech columnist comment on this several months ago.
They did not test inksell.com system but in general commented that a number of printer manufacturers have a time/use factor that will allow a certain number of pages of non manufacturer ink and then crash the unit. *Epson printers seemed to be the most notorious for blowing/freezing their jets.
Good luck!
nwsteve
Thanks nwsteve. My kits from inksell.com are in the mail. I'm going to give it one more try and if this doesn't work, I'm giving up.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #55
Confused about dryer sheets

Great ideas - must put my 2 cents worth in regarding the car issue: My trusty Honda Accord has 188,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Needs to last at least another year or two (good thing best friend's husband is an auto mechanic!!) but seems that it will!

Since I am a teacher, I have more leeway in my "business" attire (I teach in a Junior/Senior High School). I usually shop the re-sale stores in our area (designer duds for a few bucks) or wait until my sister and/or mom clean out their closets (even better- expensive clothing for FREE - and we all even wear the same shoe size!).
Old 02-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Shoes: Birkenstocks all the way. Usually on sale, or better yet, hand-me-ups from sis. They last for years.

Jackets/Outerwear: Columbia end-of-year sales. Usually 50% off. Some of mine are 10 yrs old.

Jeans: Lee brand on sale from JCPenneys

Dinnerware: Correlle....had some that was 15 yrs old and just didn't want it anymore. Told youngest son when he left for college he wasn't walking out the door without it. Of couse I replaced it with new Correlle.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dinnerware: Correlle....had some that was 15 yrs old and just didn't want it anymore. Told youngest son when he left for college he wasn't walking out the door without it. Of couse I replaced it with new Correlle.
KZ, I agree with you on Corelle--this stuff is indestructible, and cheap enough when you buy it. Not ugly either.

I like those Birks too. They are comfortable and they can be fixed for a reasonable amount. I prefer fixing to throwing away and buying new.

Mikey

Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Inkjet printers are the scourge of the universe.

It is very hard to refill your own cartridges, and I've seen plenty of printers ruined.

Cheapo replacements either feature less ink, an inferior quality ink, or both. One of the trade rags did a review on cheap replacement cartridges and showed how lousy the output was on many of the inexpensive carts.

My favorite though is not printing for a few weeks and having the cartridge dry out and become unusable. I've never been able to revive one yet.

Most inkjets when bought come with a "starter cartridge" which has 1/4 the ink of a regular cart. Then the replacements cost more than the printer did.

I ended up buying a color laser to end the stream of empty inkjets and lasers going to goodwill. They're regularly available for $300-350. I got mine for a little more than that at Sams as it had full toner cartridges (yes, they do the same almost-empty 'starter' with many of these).

Better quality output that isnt water soluble, nice photo prints on plain superwhite paper, and no drying out cartridges.

Only downside is that they're a lot bigger than a compact inkjet. Mine has about the same footprint, but its twice as tall and weighs about 90lbs.

Its a throwaway too though...after ~7000 pages it'll need $400 worth of toner cartridges, a $100 drum and a $30 waste toner cart. About $150 more than I paid for it whole and likely a lot more than a replacement with higher resolution will run.

Theres another option: use the monochrome laser and either a warehouse clubs color digital print service or an online one. I can get color prints made up at sams for 18c. Pretty cheap when you figure in per page cost of a color printer.

My favorite life cycle improver on several fronts is a front loading washing machine. Pick a good one and you get a longer lasting washing machine, reduced water and electricity costs, faster wash cycling, and your clothes last a LOT longer. Basically unless I grow out of something or get paint on it, it seems to last forever. I have 10 year old warehouse club tee shirts and jeans that still look good.

If you dont need color, b&w lasers are often available after coupons and rebates for $60-80. I throw them away when the toner cartridge runs out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #59

Being a die hard DIYer I haunt the Lowes and HD "Oops paint rack". Here are some recent examples:

2 gal eggshell $10... retail $36
5 gal DryLok $20 ... retail $69
5 gal off white $20 ....retail $77

I havent spent more than 6-7 bucks a gallon for pretty good paint in some time.

ps While in HD dont forget to check out the lumber cull bins for 51 cent "1 by" pine and other goodies.

BUM
Old 02-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good deals (and free shipping) on generic inkjet cartridges at www.123inkjets.com. Epson cartridges for my printer cost $32 at Office Depot but are $5.95 on this website. Usually, I just email documents to myself and print them at work :

Owning Hondas and Toyotas has saved us big $$ over the years in auto repairs. We've never had to rebuild a transmission or engine, and I can't recall any repairs costing more than $250 in over 10 years, and our current vehicles have 190,000 and 125,000 miles on them.

I also dress casually at work. I've found that cheap Walmart hiking boots and clothes fall apart too quickly- the shoes last about 6 months. I buy Columbia clothing- try to pick things up at the end of season sales. They fit better and look nicer than cheaper clothes and last forever (compared to cheap stuff).