Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Your favorite "low life cycle cost" brands
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 AM   #61

Back when I was in full courtship mode, I was having
dinner with a woman who (unlike some of my dates)
was not "dripping with diamonds", etc. She was a real
beauty so perhaps saw no need to "gild the lily". But, I digress. She was telling me about attending some function where "all the men looked like they bought their clothes at Farm and Fleet" (for those unfamiliar,
the name tells it all). I thought, "Oh man, that's
about my favorite store in the whole world." Rustler jeans for 10 bucks.
Come on, what's not to like?

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

We have 2 Toyotas. My 2000 Camry has 85,000 miles on it and I've never had to replace the brakes ! Just change the oil and replaced the timing belt at about 75000 miles.
Somebody slap me upside the head if I ever decide to replace my Camry with something other than a Toyota.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:16 AM   #63

Hello parnass! We live a little way south of Rockford, so if you are north of us, you must be close to the Wisc. line.

JG
Old 02-20-2005, 04:33 AM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Somebody slap me upside the head if I ever decide to replace my Camry with something other than a Toyota.
I feel the same way so maybe we can make a mutual "slap upside the head" pact? I do love the looks of the Chrysler 300C though.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chrysler has to make their cars purty or there'd be a $50 bounty for every one you could set on fire.

Janie...check into your cartridge life on those carts from 123inkjets. I tried them once and there was about 20% of the ink in the cartridge (which was a cleaned up refill) as I was getting in a regular brand name cartridge.

Now, if you tend to not print a couple of months and see your carts dry out and have to replace them anyway, a short fill for $6 may be your better buy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Speaking of printers - has anyone tried refilling their ink-jet cartridges? I tried once. I followed all the directions to a T and it was pretty worthless - the quality was terrible. I still have a bunch of ink. Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?
I print tons every day with an inkjet that I have had for 6 years (Lexmark 3200). I only print black, I would not even bother refilling the color stuff.

First step is to save on the ink while you are printing. I set the default printer setting to 'draft'. This way you don't have the paper suck all your expensive ink out and it usually works just fine. I print lots of barcodes that need to be scanned and no problem ever.

To refill: don't wait until the cartridge is empty (important!). If it is empty and you have just been printing another 10 white pages, you may have burnt up the chips making the whole thing useless.

When ink is low but the cartridge is working fine, use the needle thing and s l o w l y fill up the cartridge. Needle has to go into the sponge but no need to jam it all the way to the bottom. If you fill the cartridge too fast, the ink will come ooze out at the bottom and create a mess and sometimes make it useless. I usually run a test page when I am half way.

Nothing will last forever, including cartridges. I usually get 3-4 refills out of them - good enough for me. Just had to switch to a new one because I ran the cartridge empty and the refill did not work any more.

Good luck now, this is so much fun

Vicky
Old 02-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

Re: Your favorite "low life cycle cost" brands:

The most reliable products I've had:

Mitsubishi 26" stereo console TV: Got it at a discount from Dayton's in Minneapolis in 1987 thru my sister who worked there at the time. Was our main TV thru our son's 7th thru 24th years until we had to give it away when we moved in Jan. Never had a problem & still had a great picture.

Honda snowblower: Had it about 17 years, sold it to the folks who bought our house. 0 problems.

Toro lawnmower: close to 20 years old, brought it with us to FL. Repaired once, due I'm pretty sure to my son mistreating it.

Kenmore gas dryer: 21 years old, may have been repaired once, still works (in the home we just sold). BTW, some early posts made it sound like Sears/Kenmore made its own appliances. Did they once? They make none of their own now - see http://www.applianceadvisor.com/brandadvisor.htm.

Sero & Enro dress shirts: I don't know if these are still made, but I bought a few back in the 70s, 7 ended up getting rid of them only due to style changes, with the last one going to Salvation Army last year. They NEVER seemed to show wear, not even from "whisker burn" around the neck.

Bill (my 1st post in months - I retired & moved from MN to FL, so been a little busy).
Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Your favorite "low life cycle cost" brands:

Quote:
BTW, some early posts made it sound like Sears/Kenmore made its own appliances. Did they once? They make none of their own now - see http://www.applianceadvisor.com/brandadvisor.htm.
I'm a big fan of Kenmore appliances too. No, I don't think that they ever made their own appliances. They do spec them out and have them made to order. What makes a big difference is how they spec them. Sears puts the higher quality components in their products before they worry about the doo-dads. They get the more durable higher output motor in their appliance before the fancy wash cycle goes in. You don't have to buy the really expensive model before you get the quality components.