Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well for me #1 on the list is the power grid, seriously everyone knows it needs to be fixed and its money you have to spend anyway.. so chop chop.

Wage growth is just a natural course of low unemployment. ie if there are more job openings more people will quit and take higher paying jobs.. the lower paying companies will lose too many people and HR will have to resolve it by upping pay for new hires to get anyone to apply... simple evolution and with the rate now lower than 5%, that's pretty much guaranteed to happen.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What would I do?

eliminate minimum wages and rewrite the IRC for starters
Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
What would I do?

eliminate minimum wages and rewrite the IRC for starters
What is the IRC?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What is the IRC?
Internal Revenue Code?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
This does create a question of, "does anyone in america even have to work?"

When robots take a position that an employer has, productivity increases dramatically. The robot can work 24x7, 365 days a year. No overtime, no OSHA, no workers comp, no pension, etc. Savings produced by robots could be distributed to the people, much like Alaska oil revenues.

Assuming we could tax a robots productivity, you could pay the three people the prevailing wage that a robot is saving, and the company would still save money. If the robot was paid a wage, and the wage was paid in as a tax, there would still be no employer taxes, workers comp, etc. It would still be a huge savings to the company.

People could work on their own endeavors, without needing college or long days. It may save healthcare costs and free up medical resources, as many people use some sort of medical excuse not to work. FIRE would be come a thing of the past, it would be automatic at age 18 if you want.

People could spend the money they receive and generate economic activity.

I think if robots become more prevalent, it may even help the economy. Assuming the extra productivity was distributed properly.
If robots would take all jobs from humans in a not so distant future, people most likely would lose creativity, become lazy (physically and mentally) what eventually would lead to Humans to degenerate and disappear. I would rather have dangerous jobs like mining, military, space,heavy construction, foundry etc taken by robots while designing, robots production control, software, managing, analysts, teaching, many service jobs etc remained for us to do.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Wage growth is just a natural course of low unemployment. ie if there are more job openings more people will quit and take higher paying jobs.. the lower paying companies will lose too many people and HR will have to resolve it by upping pay for new hires to get anyone to apply... simple evolution and with the rate now lower than 5%, that's pretty much guaranteed to happen.
That is conventional wisdom. Unfortunately, there is a surplus of labor on the low-skill side. The shortage is in the tech and higher skilled trades.

There is virtually an unlimited amount of low-skill labor in the USA and the world.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Fed, ECB, PBOC need to be cheerleaders for their economies

Quote:
How about telling the world that, with a growth rate of 2.4 percent for the second consecutive year, the U.S. economy is currently operating almost an entire percentage point above its long-term potential, delineated by the available labor and (physical) capital resources?

And how about a reminder that, thanks to this nicely growing economy, Uncle Sam cut a check to the rest of the world last year for $758.9 billion, after a $741.5 billion contribution he sent out in 2014? You can think of these checks as being literally written by the Fed's support to the economy, and endorsed by the international trade policy conducted by the White House and the Congress, which is now becoming a big bone of contention in presidential primaries.

How does that strike you, compared with $1 trillion sucked out of the global economy by countries ballyhooed as the "future of the world," and those developed economies seeking growth by living off their trade partners? Out of that number, what is called the "dynamic Asia" got a cool $585 billion hongbao for its Spring Festival. But the Uncle did not even get a "thank you" note.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMHO they should change the taxes so that it benefits companies to invest in the US instead of holding cash offshore.

I'd suggest getting rid of corporate loop holes and simplify everything at a much lower corporate tax rate. I'd imagine you could come out even on tax revenue but you'd make the US more enticing for companies to come to the US.

I also think we need to crack down on the drug companies as they are price gouging us compared to everywhere else in the world.

I'd also suggest we scale back our foreign military bases and stop interfering in everybody else's business.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Internal Revenue Code?
yes
Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Governments don't take money --out-- of the economy with regulations. Regulations require that money be spent improving safety, properly disposing of hazmat, keeping better track of things, and hiring people to do these things etc etc. That's money spent and therefore dumped, trickled down, as it were, back into the economy. What happens when all, 100% of any and all regulations are pulled? There will still be unemployment. Underemployment. Businessmen will still manage to find ways to go out of business. All the things that we suffer from now will still exist only with no way to address them.

Regulation, like taxes, should be as low as possible, while simultaneously being as high as necessary.
There's no cost/benefit analysis of those regulations, the governments just decide it will be done. Requiring prevailing wages doesn't help cost effectiveness. And the bureaucrats "managing" these programs are overpaid relative to the private workers & have zero incentive to do a cost effective job; i.e., the more they make something cost the more they can cry they don't have enough. If these things were cost effective, there'd be no need for a private economy.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #31

Automation is deflationary because it reduces the demand for human labor, and thus reduces the toal money earned via labor. Deflation will work itself out eventually, but if one is in a hurry either get rid of the machines or find another way for people to get money.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
But pretty incorrect. The government is critical in creating some of the most wildly economic beneficial initiatives, such as the nation highway system. The government is usually responsible for creating situations to encourage capital risk in fledgling industries, like wind and solar. They kept the auto industry afloat, proving me wrong on my call to let them die.

But is there tons of waste, yes, but many regulations are quite useful, such as ensuring there is no lead in your drinking water, ie Flint.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Infrastructure isn't regulation nor taking. Totally wrong on government being able to pick winning industries to spend, not invest, on. If solar & wind are cost effective, they don't need governments' hands messing them up. Government screwed over the auto industry bondholders who had nothing to do with running the auto industry to protect union pensions, thus picking winners & losers. We'd had autos being made today if government had kept their nose out of the business.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #33

I'm not sure what "healthy economic growth" means.

Real per capita GDP has grown by about 59% over the last 30 years.
If that had been spread around to most people, I think we'd be satisfied with our economic growth.

But, real median wages have gone up by about 10% over the same 30 years. That doesn't feel very good.

So, I'd look for ideas that are going to help the median worker much more than the executives and business owners.

For example, we don't build infrastructure with picks and shovels any more, we use mega-machines. I'd expect the owners of those machines would be the big winners in more infrastructure spending. I'm not sure that they would also pay most of the taxes for the construction.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #34

Quote:
This does create a question of, "does anyone in america even have to work?"

When robots take a position that an employer has, productivity increases dramatically. The robot can work 24x7, 365 days a year. No overtime, no OSHA, no workers comp, no pension, etc. Savings produced by robots could be distributed to the people, much like Alaska oil revenues.

Assuming we could tax a robots productivity, you could pay the three people the prevailing wage that a robot is saving, and the company would still save money. If the robot was paid a wage, and the wage was paid in as a tax, there would still be no employer taxes, workers comp, etc. It would still be a huge savings to the company.

People could work on their own endeavors, without needing college or long days. It may save healthcare costs and free up medical resources, as many people use some sort of medical excuse not to work. FIRE would be come a thing of the past, it would be automatic at age 18 if you want.

People could spend the money they receive and generate economic activity.

I think if robots become more prevalent, it may even help the economy. Assuming the extra productivity was distributed properly.

Nice idea, but those companies are competing with overseas companies that can hire 200 workers in three shifts for the price of our robot.

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Infrastructure isn't regulation nor taking. Totally wrong on government being able to pick winning industries to spend, not invest, on. If solar & wind are cost effective, they don't need governments' hands messing them up. Government screwed over the auto industry bondholders who had nothing to do with running the auto industry to protect union pensions, thus picking winners & losers. We'd had autos being made today if government had kept their nose out of the business.

You seem very open minded. I retreat.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Nice idea, but those companies are competing with overseas companies that can hire 200 workers in three shifts for the price of our robot.
No problem. Have a tariff to make up for our regulations. If they do not have clean air standards, add a percentage that it costs US companies. The same with OSHA and labor laws. If their workers are not being paid as well on a living wage scale, include a tariff for that. Even the playing field.

Our companies could produce goods just as cheap as China if we let them ignore our laws. Use the river to dump in, hire prisoners, eliminate labor laws, etc.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #37

Protectionist tariffs were tried during the 1930s but generally did not improve the situation.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #38

Quote:
No problem. Have a tariff to make up for our regulations. If they do not have clean air standards, add a percentage that it costs US companies. The same with OSHA and labor laws. If their workers are not being paid as well on a living wage scale, include a tariff for that. Even the playing field.

Our companies could produce goods just as cheap as China if we let them ignore our laws. Use the river to dump in, hire prisoners, eliminate labor laws, etc.

We can only tariff our own market, it doesn't help our companies compete in the world market.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #39

Quote:
We can only tariff our own market, it doesn't help our companies compete in the world market.
That is all we care about. Competition with our manufacturers here in the USA. Our exports will either compete head to head, or they will not get exported. Just the way they are now.

When you can export iron ore from the USA to China, make it into steel and ship it back cheaper than to make it right here in the USA, there is a problem.

We import many things, the countries get a bunch of USDs. The countries refuse to spend it here in the US, so there is a trade imbalance.

We could make all trade be done in the currency of the country of origin. If the country did not accept their own currency, we do not buy from them. The companies importing would have to buy the goods in the currency of the country that they were buying from. It would force companies to buy the currencies of our trading partners.

Our country has been taken advantage of by many other countries. It has cost us our manufacturing base and our economy.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #40

Quote:
That is all we care about. Competition with our manufacturers here in the USA. Our exports will either compete head to head, or they will not get exported. Just the way they are now.

When you can export iron ore from the USA to China, make it into steel and ship it back cheaper than to make it right here in the USA, there is a problem.

We import many things, the countries get a bunch of USDs. The countries refuse to spend it here in the US, so there is a trade imbalance.

We could make all trade be done in the currency of the country of origin. If the country did not accept their own currency, we do not buy from them. The companies importing would have to buy the goods in the currency of the country that they were buying from. It would force companies to buy the currencies of our trading partners.

Our country has been taken advantage of by many other countries. It has cost us our manufacturing base and our economy.

We are the only world power. We have it pretty good, but you make it seem like we are shoved and locked in a high school locker.

I think you underestimate that all US companies compete globally, and often primarily.

By the way, see sugar and corn for unfair trade practices in the US.