Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTim View Post
ISimilarly, conversions can in some cases be limited and in any case are taxed at marginal rates now ... so why would a high earner convert an existing IRA or Rollover IRA into a Roth while still earning $$ (say, for example person makes $500K and has a $500k IRA balance between Rollover and regular) ... In the year of conversion, FIT at 40% on the $500 PLUS FIT on the portion rolled over at marginal rates vs. doing the same when there is no earned $500k income -- isn't the rollover cheaper after retirement in absolute dollars?
I think we're basically saying the same thing, which is that it doesn't generally make sense for a high earner who hopes to ER to mess with Roth in any form. The high-level exception would be if you expect your marginal rate in ER to be similar to or more than your marginal rate now. The two practical ways that seems possible are 1) you spend close to all that you make now or 2) you expect huge increases in tax brackets between now and ER. If you're under #1, then ER or even R seems unlikely
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I don't think there is, but why would a high earned income person who LBTM want to do that?
It's a great option for those who otherwise have no tIRA balance (perhaps because they have converted all to Roth already) because they can make an after-tax tIRA contrib now and immediately convert it to Roth without any tax due, and then all its earnings are tax free.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
We don't come close to $500k income, but we have been over the Roth contribution income limit for a long time. I have a deductible IRA from a 401k rollover, but DW is still all 401k, so the backdoor Roth contribution works for her with no tax impact. And yeah, it's not as much as we'd like to contribute, but it's still $5.5k that's no longer taxed.
I'm assuming you're doing this to avoid taxes on dividends/etc? I'm probably just being dense, but why not just invest in a purely after-tax account using tax-efficient index funds?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #64
Administrator

Our portfolio is 98% taxable, 1% each tIRA and HSA. Munis are an important allocation for us, as are MLPs.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #65

Quote:
I'm assuming you're doing this to avoid taxes on dividends/etc? I'm probably just being dense, but why not just invest in a purely after-tax account using tax-efficient index funds?
Long term capital gains taxes at 15%, unless you can stay under the 15% tax bracket. Roth won't have that. Ideally, I'd love to have the entire portfolio in a Roth.

While we could only contribute to one Roth account without a tax impact, our income in 2014 will be a lot lower with DW half time for half a year. We'll be Roth converting quite a bit in the next few years. This will reduce our income after age 70, when SS and RMD's hit, and keep us mostly in the 15% tax bracket.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #66

73% taxable
25% tax-deferred
2% Roth/HSA

We've started Roth conversions and hope to continue to do so for another 10 years or so. This year it was a balance between the Roth conversion and selling some very low basis stock we have and benefiting from a 0% federal capital gains tax rate.

I drop by the CPA in late October (once we know how the year is going) and run though a few different scenarios to see which is best.

We have also started gifting the very low basis stock to the charity of our choice rather than sending "cash".
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #67

31% taxable
24% non-taxable (Roth)
45% tax-deferred (IRA, 401k, 457)
0% HSA
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #68

Interesting to note that about $20,000 per year of the tax-deferred money is actually tax free. Never was taxed and never will be due to standard deductions and exemptions.

Should at least plan to have enough of this to last a lifetime.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #69

49% taxable
51% tax deferred
0% tax free
Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #70

First post... Trying to figure out how to get out early, despite getting late start
20% taxable
45% tax deferred
35% tax free

15 years to go...
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Interesting to note that about $20,000 per year of the tax-deferred money is actually tax free. Never was taxed and never will be due to standard deductions and exemptions.

Should at least plan to have enough of this to last a lifetime.
You are making a lot of assumptions. One, that taxpayer is MFJ. Another is that he has no income in taxable accounts, creating taxable income every year. Looking over this thread, it is clear that this is rarely the case. And of course, almost all Americans have or will have SS, and many (at least here) have pensions.

Ha
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
It's a great option for those who otherwise have no tIRA balance (perhaps because they have converted all to Roth already) because they can make an after-tax tIRA contrib now and immediately convert it to Roth without any tax due, and then all its earnings are tax free.
That's if you do not already own tax-defered tIRA.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think there is, but why would a high earned income person who LBTM want to do that? You'd be paying FIT at your high marginal rate now in order to avoid paying FIT on a lower marginal rate* later.

* I realize no one has a crystal ball, but if you are making $500K now but live on $100K, it's hard to imagine that in 20/30/whatever years the tax rate on $100K will be more than 40% (current marginal rate on 500K+).
If your TIRA is funded with post tax dollars, the conversion is tax free. IF it is a mix, the conversion is taxed in the same proportion.

I assume at your high income level, your TIRA is all or mostly post tax.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

We are about …

50% taxable
45% tax-deferred
05% Roth

but in reality, lots of that taxable 50% would be tax-free return-of-capital and another bit of that taxable will be offset by carryover losses and if I play my cards right, the rest will fall into the 0% tax bracket, so it's like having a Roth.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #75

5% taxable
12% tax free
83% tax deferred
Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #76

48% taxable
48% tax-deferred
4% Roth
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #77

55% deferred
45% taxable
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #78

67.5% taxable
21% tax-deferred
11.5% Roth/HSA
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

70% in taxable
40% in 401K/IRA
10% in Roth
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #80

Not counting real estate

0% taxable
40% tax deferred
60% tax free