Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lost a tooth several months ago. Fractured and they could not save it. So looking at 4k-7k for an implant. uugghh.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post

Anyway...what is the largest unexpected (emergency) expense have you had to cover? So far, I am going with $7,000 for roof replacement (not really unexpected but our timeline got moved up when it started leaking in more than 2 spots).
Keying on your phrase largest unexpected emergency expense, I've been very fortunate not to have anything over maybe $6K. I'm interpreting your question as something that could not be reasonably expected or planned for and generally must be taken care of soon.

When our house was hit by lightning and started a fire, I was out several thousand (much on credit cards) until we got in sync with the insurance company reimbursements. Temporary living and house close/security issues.

When we sold our last house in 2004, we had some foundation settling issues that cost about $6K to fix.

And this year we've had a washer, freezer, and dryer die so spent about $1200 unexpectedly......but each was over 20 years old.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Keying on your phrase largest unexpected emergency expense, I've been very fortunate not to have anything over maybe $6K. I'm interpreting your question as something that could not be reasonably expected or planned for and generally must be taken care of soon.

When our house was hit by lightning and started a fire, I was out several thousand (much on credit cards) until we got in sync with the insurance company reimbursements. Temporary living and house close/security issues.

When we sold our last house in 2004, we had some foundation settling issues that cost about $6K to fix.

And this year we've had a washer, freezer, and dryer die so spent about $1200 unexpectedly......but each was over 20 years old.
Yep. I think the thing I have seen (in my life) is that these expenses that might be out of the ordinary aren't overly burdensome. BUT...I have noticed that they seem to come one after another...several thousand dollar "issues" that crop up within a short period of time...which can add up quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I guess you could catagorize this as an emergency.

$25,000 for daughter's funeral expenses. She passed away unexpectedly at 22 years old, one month from finishing college. She had no student debt as we paid for the four years and she had a job.
Ugh..that's got to the worst expense ever...my sincere condolences. *IF* something happened to someone I love and I had to deal with that, it wouldn't be a financial set back since we all wish for very simple burials/cremations. This is NOT to say that that large expense is NOT worth it...that is a VERY personal decision but for us, that should never be a large expense.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #24

I had hip replacement surgery in 2014. It was the first year of Obamacare and we had a high deductible plan with a $6000 deductible. But we had a family plan with the combined deductible thing so our deductible was $12,000. Once we hit the deductible everything else for the rest of the year for both of us was paid at 100% so we crammed in everything we could for the rest of the year.

Total amount attributable to the hip replacement was $10,675. Subtract the $755 tax deduction for the $7550 HSA contribution and our additional $789 Premium Tax Credit (MAGI reduced by HSA deduction) and my hip cost us $9131. Well worth it and we had the cash.

Another one that was an emergency was our furnace and A/C in 2011. We had the original furnace from 1955. It worked as well as it always had but was not very efficient. DH retired in 2010 and we had plans, and savings, for new windows, a new roof and a new furnace and A/C.

We did the windows right after he retired in 2010 and we planned to do the roof next. We woke up one morning in January 2011 with no heat. Our old reliable furnace needed a part from a previous century. So replacing the furnace and A/C became urgent and the roof got pushed back another year.

So while wearing coats in the house made it feel like an emergency we knew it was coming and had the cash set aside. As Dave Ramsey says, "An emergency fund turns a crisis into an inconvenience."
Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Anyway...what is the largest unexpected (emergency) expense have you had to cover? So far, I am going with $7,000 for roof replacement (not really unexpected but our timeline got moved up when it started leaking in more than 2 spots).
I had some plumbing work done about two years ago when our outdoor sprinkler supply pipe ruptured upstream of the isolation valve. It force me to shut water off to the house. The plumber - who seemed trustworthy and laid out all the options for us very clearly - indicated the issue was likely traced to our pressure regulator which wasn't functioning properly and was likely to lead to other piping issues downstream. So not only did we replace the pipe with a proper isolation setup, he replaced our regulator as well as the piping leg associated with it to the tune of $2500.

I still need to get him out to fix our water heater someday...

Our AC install/furnace replacement was more expensive, but wasn't unplanned/emergency.

Reading this thread, we've been pretty lucky so far.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #26

I think most members here are more proactive and forward-looking than average, so unexpected major expenses are rare. Many of the people that don't plan for retirement also don't pay attention to their car, roof, etc. until it fails (unexpected by them) and needs total replacement ASAP.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Right around $10K for an appendix scare. Turned out not to be, but the ER visit and tests came to that amount. Hospital let us make payments, no interest charged.

We had a $12K bill to re-do the Heating/Air/Water Heater. Came back from a trip and the AC was dead.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #28

House expenses (new roof, new driveway, new furnace, etc), to me, are not emergency... they are part of owning/maintaining a house. We've been replacing windows along the way, put in a new driveway 18 months ago, and are looking at a new roof and solar panels next year. None of it is emergency... it's all planned.

More in the emergency side of things... Having my estranged brother make contact and let us know he had terminal cancer. He was divorced (in the time he wasn't speaking to us)... so there was no one to help him. My sister and I tag teamed going out every weekend (Cali to Colorado) for 3 months - and spent the last 2 weeks of his life in Denver to be close to his hospital as he pursued radical surgical treatments. Before that final 2 weeks we were able to stay at his house - but the last 2 weeks were in Denver, in winter, and driving to/from the hospital and Ft. Collins through snow wasn't doable - so we had hotels on top of the airfares. That was a big expense, not planned for... not to mention eating 100% of my vacation time. I estimate that was about $5k all in.

Last year, as I've posted previously, was my first year on a HDHP. My kids decided to break many bones, and DH had a health crisis. We spent $9k in OOP. I'd anticipated using 3-4k worth of OOP....

In both cases - we had the money - but hadn't "planned" on the spending but had no choice - it was an emergency.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Yes, i'm serious. I'm not rich like you. If it's a back tooth, it doesn't need to be replaced. I have more money than the average american but I still only have very low six-figures. I'm not going to spend $2K every single time I lose a tooth. That's for rich people like you.
I practiced dentistry for nearly 40 years, and many of my patients simply could not afford, or chose not to afford, spending 2G on a tooth.
I can totally understand it. And you know what? They all lived. Well, some died eventually but not because of a missing tooth.

Right now, if a root canal can't be done, a single tooth implant, after restoration can easily go for 4G, even more if complicated. I can understand why some people choose not to go that route.

It's nothing to feel bad about, nor anything to denigrate if that's a person's choice.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #30

AS far as my own expenses, I just had to have a head gasket replaced on wife's Subaru. 10 years old, 80K miles. Dealer want 4500.. I went to smaller outfit that always did nice work on my old Volvo. They did it for 3,000, and threw in a new water pump and new timing belt as long as it was on the table. Also they have had me back once just to check it, and didn't like something so they had me back again at no charge to alleviate the issue, and want me back again at no charge to check it again. Following up on their work. Kind of nice.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$20,000 for a crumbling seawall
Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess you could catagorize this as an emergency.

$25,000 for daughter's funeral expenses. She passed away unexpectedly at 22 years old, one month from finishing college. She had no student debt as we paid for the four years and she had a job.
Sorry about your daughter . My Son died suddenly at 32 . Cost $13,000 .Emotional cost billions !
Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Vanguard says that a good size for an emergency fund, is enough to cover 3-6 months' expenses. Or, more during a recession, if employed in a high risk industry, if income isn't steady, or if retired with assets in volatile investments.

I think that's about right and it is consistent with my emergency fund balances in the past. Truthfully I'm not sure what my biggest unexpected/emergency expense was.
I think that is different than what the OP is looking for.... IOW, an emergency fund is to pay normal expenses because of a loss of employment... and emergency expense is to pay something that is not a normal expense... I think OP is looking for the second...
Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Just wrote a check for almost $12K for the next round for my DWs implants... she is getting 3 posts that will be for 4 teeth...

Still more costs to go as this does not cover the crowns at $1500 apiece...

But, not a true 'emergency' as I knew it was coming and was bracing for the problem...

I will have to shell out over $24K for a new roof soon... I had no idea it would cost me this much, but the insurance adjuster said that with my pitch etc. that it would be this much... which is why I have not done anything yet as it has not leaked yet...
Old 06-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think that is different than what the OP is looking for.... IOW, an emergency fund is to pay normal expenses because of a loss of employment... and emergency expense is to pay something that is not a normal expense... I think OP is looking for the second...
From a financial savings perspective I don't see much difference between a large unplanned expense, such as a medical emergency, and losing a job. In each case you need to have cash on hand to pay your obligations.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry about your daughter . My Son died suddenly at 32 . Cost $13,000 .Emotional cost billions !
Sorry to hear about your son and the emotional cost continues for us, even after 15 years.

This thread discusses several home and car repairs and unless you have not seen it coming, those should be normal expenses. Thinking back, we had a water heater start leaking in our last home while we were away. That water heater was in the attic (great place for a water heater, eh!) and it ruined two room ceilings and carpets. Fortunately, insurance covered most of the cost, except for the deductible (can't remember the actual cost) and the inconvenience.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #37

Quote:
This thread discusses several home and car repairs and unless you have not seen it coming, those should be normal expenses.
still waiting for a story about unexpected legal expenses
Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #38

For us the largest totally unexpected expense was $3,400 for a new water line from the meter near the street to the house a couple of years ago. I'd heard of that happening but didn't know anyone that it had happened to until the year before when my next door neighbor had to have it done.

Stuff like roofs, furnaces & A/C you know is going to happen. You just don't know when.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Yes, i'm serious. I'm not rich like you. If it's a back tooth, it doesn't need to be replaced. I have more money than the average american but I still only have very low six-figures. I'm not going to spend $2K every single time I lose a tooth. That's for rich people like you.
This isn't really a good idea,dental health is a major factor for long term good health. You do actually use your back teeth it's not like they are spares.

Before you have a dental emergency look around for any dental schools/colleges that would offer you free or very lost cost care.Our smaller size town even has dental assistant program that brings in dental students for hands on work.

It would be time well spend for you to check this out in advance so you know your options.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I had one just today. Probably falls into the normal camp but I wasn't expecting it. Had a leak by my water meter in the front yard. Water association guy said it was my problem as it is in my yard, not on the water meter to the street side. Of course not a simple fix as the plumber had to go to a supply house to get a part. Takes close to an hour and at $110/hr that adds up. Overall the job took 4.5 hours. I'm sure they will gouge me on the parts so looking at a total cost well above $500. Nothing as costly as other emergencies I've had, but the most recent one.