Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Several times after a drinking bout, I awoke to a strange woman in my bed and immediately called the pharmacy for "the morning after pill". If I include the drinking tab then that would be my most expensive emergency.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
We had a guy talk to us when I got my CHL 10 years ago. He lost everything he had defending himself from a lawsuit against his business (which he eventually won) and he was peddling pre-paid legal. I guess if you shoot someone (and they live) you can get sued pretty easily regardless if it was justified.

Hopefully this would be covered under an umbrella policy but I don't have to carry a concealed weapon any more.

(as mentioned above) I also heard divorces can be very expensive....
The ability to sue the legal self defender varies by state. This state they're not allowed to but in another state it can be very expensive to defend oneself in a civil matter.

A buddy of mine paid 75k for a divorce that they backed out of and then reconciled. He won't be around here anytime soon.:confused:
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #63

Had to fly FIL from Vegas to Dallas on a med-evac flight. Cost right $20,000. Really not in the vane you are talking about as he repaid us shortly afterwards. It was the case that no one else in the family had access to cash.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm familiar with dental implants but not a wife implant. Did you have it placed in your head, neck or posterior?
Do you try to make it funny? Some people who have no normal sense of humor always try to make fun of other people. Obviously I meant a dental implant.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
Do you try to make it funny? Some people who have no normal sense of humor always try to make fun of other people. Obviously I meant a dental implant.
And those who totally lack a sense of humor don't get it and often think even a good-natured attempt at humor is a personal affront.

Actually I thought you meant breast implants...
Old 06-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
House expenses (new roof, new driveway, new furnace, etc), to me, are not emergency... they are part of owning/maintaining a house. We've been replacing windows along the way, put in a new driveway 18 months ago, and are looking at a new roof and solar panels next year. None of it is emergency... it's all planned.
+1

In recent years, my young adult son then I got some serious illness. The bills for both of us came to close to $200K after insurance adjustment, but it was only $30K+ out of pocket for us.

I considered our illnesses a hell of an emergency, as it could put us 6 ft under. But the money came out of an HSA that was set up just in case like this.

And if it was not, well, $30K+ is what a new car costs, and to buy our 2 lives with it is a heck of a bargain compared to a stinkin' car.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I guess you could catagorize this as an emergency.

$25,000 for daughter's funeral expenses. She passed away unexpectedly at 22 years old, one month from finishing college. She had no student debt as we paid for the four years and she had a job.
I got choked up reading that. There are not words to express how sorry I am for your loss.
erkevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

$25,000 for daughter's funeral expenses. She passed away unexpectedly at 22 years old, one month from finishing college. She had no student debt as we paid for the four years and she had a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry about your daughter . My Son died suddenly at 32 . Cost $13,000 .Emotional cost billions !
My belated condolences.

As I was going through surgeries and did not know how it would turn out, I thought about my son's earlier hospitalization, and consoled myself at the thought that it would be more devastating to me if I lived and my son did not. He was only 23, and just out of college.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Our youngest graduated college in 3 years and spend a year and half wandering and traveling, she supported herself and basically had a gap year backwards.

She went off our family plan automatically when she graduated college and the next day was enrolled in an individual plan that we payed for. My DH said, gotta have it, what would we give to help or fix her if she got sick? He said "We'd give everything we have"

Sorry for your loss aja8888 and yours Moemg
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #70
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
And those who totally lack a sense of humor don't get it and often think even a good-natured attempt at humor is a personal affront.

I thought he meant the cost of trading one wife for another .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was a boob job too.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:

Sorry for your loss. That must have been a very very difficult time. Probably even today, it's still painful.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #73

Quote:

Ahh. Ha ha, DW has good enough. How abou
t yours?
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, the largest possible "emergency" would be something unlikely like getting sued beyond the $1.5-2 million limits of our insurance policies, or getting sued for something not covered by any insurance.

Otherwise, getting kidnapped and held for ransom?

Realistic emergencies? Crashing and totaling our $8000 minivan or having it stolen (no comp/collision). Severe damage to house or total loss, $2500 plus possibly some unreimbursed relocation expenses. Dental costs maybe? A $2000 crown/root canal is a possibility. None of those I would categorize as an emergency, as I expect some variety of those to happen to us to some degree over the many decades of life, and budget for those unknowns as best I can.

For example, we're going to need a new water heater in the next 1-10 years and it'll have to be a more expensive tankless model to get the install up to current building codes. That'll be $2400-3200 depending on method of installation. I don't consider it an emergency, although it is slightly higher than what I budgeted for routine water heater replacement.

In the past 17 or so years of adult life, I can't say I've ever had an emergency (a sudden and completely unexpected expense) over a couple hundred dollars. Getting pickpocketed, losing something or breaking something. Sick kid. Guess we've been lucky (or somewhat skilled at planning and at avoiding situations that lead to emergencies).
Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This isn't really a good idea,dental health is a major factor for long term good health. You do actually use your back teeth it's not like they are spares.

Before you have a dental emergency look around for any dental schools/colleges that would offer you free or very lost cost care.Our smaller size town even has dental assistant program that brings in dental students for hands on work.

It would be time well spend for you to check this out in advance so you know your options.

Or head south of the border for quality dental care for 1/3 or less in Mexico. No kidding.

I just got surprised by a 28K income tax bill just a month ago. Due to a complex tax return including international income and tax credits, carry forwards, and megacorp tax equalization process.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #76

Quote:

+1
Old 06-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Following my 12-day hospital stay last July, I quickly hit my max OOP amount of $6,250 as set in my ACA Silver plan. Most of it came from the hospital bill, but the rest of it came from doctor bills and some prescription drug charges.

I expected to have to tap into my "Tier 2" emergency fund which is the limited-term muni bond fund containing about $40k because my $750 surplus in my local bank's checking account would not nearly provide enough. However, due to some delays in receiving the hospital bill compared to when they first told me how much I would end up owing (confirmed by the insurance company's EOB), I was able to build up some cash surpluses between late July and late December, when the bill finally arrived. I also received a 10% discount of nearly $500 off the amount due thanks to the hospital's "early payment" program. Taken together, I was able to pay the hospital bill without having to tap into that "Tier 2" emergency fund. Paying the bill before 12/31/2015 enabled me to take a tax deduction on my 2015 federal and state income taxes instead of waiting another year to take it.

Still, it was a costly emergency but I am in far better health today than I was a year ago at this time It was worth every dollar.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #78

I'm surprised that there aren't more mentions of pet costs here. The two largest unexpected expenses (emergencies I guess) that have come my way are dental costs (a childhood of many cavities now means many root canals and crowns; implants may well be down the road) and cat care as my two get older (one has continuing hyperthyroid issues and diabetes).
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:13 AM   #79

Quote:
I'm familiar with dental implants but not a wife implant. Did you have it placed in your head, neck or posterior?

Well, if they ever come up with husband implants I hope my wife doesn't learn about them. I'm on thin ice as it is.

She'd probably like one that works.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

In the past 17 or so years of adult life, I can't say I've ever had an emergency (a sudden and completely unexpected expense) over a couple hundred dollars. Getting pickpocketed, losing something or breaking something. Sick kid. Guess we've been lucky (or somewhat skilled at planning and at avoiding situations that lead to emergencies).

Some is likely good planning. Some peoples emergency is someone else's well planned and tracked expense...

But ... life happens ...

Illness can crop up out of no where for even the best and most purposeful planner.

With kids at home (especially teenage boys) I find myself very often shaking my head in disbelief that they did WHAT... And being glad I have some cash handy for such "emergency" situations.

Perhaps now I'm programmed like Pavlov's dog on the kid related events and surprises.

It doesn't even phase me now and when the sentence starts with "papa. You're never gonna believe what just happened ". I remind myself that yea, here it comes.

DS1 totaled his car last week - on first day of being home for the summer - just as an example ...

New normal, the economists call it. Love those kids but sure hope normal grows up, eventually...