Vanguard Short Term Corp 18%
"Intermediate Term 17%

Vanguard Long Term Corp
" High Yield Corp 15%

Too risky,wrong in this economy,love to hear your
opinions............Many thanks and I hope I did not make
too long or complicated..........roger
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Your opinion please?????
Old 03-22-2004, 05:26 AM   #2

Too complicated.

John Galt
Old 03-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First question - why do you have a portfolio? What's the mission? Is it the main source of retirement income or the third leg after pension and SS. I.e. - provide a lot of income with a little inflation buffer or a little income with a lot of inflation buffer or something in-between? For instance our portfolio is going to morph when SS kicks in - at 1.5 yrs from now.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Roger, I'm having a hard time following your list. Can you just post each fund once, and include the percentage of each fund relative to your total portfolio?
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great googly moogly. Lot of funds. Lot of overlap.

You might want to consider instead a lifestrategy, a target retirement, and/or the vanguard Star fund, the latter which holds many of the funds you listed. Maybe a combination of the three in some proportion.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Roger - About your portfolio:
1) Although placement of various funds (taxable account, IRA, Roth, etc) needs paying attention to, the most important thing is an overall allocation plan by asset type. Therefore I second Bob Smith's suggestion that you document it that way.

2) These funds look suspiciously like the ones recommended to a friend of mine by Vanguard's planning service. I was absolutely fabbergasted that they were still recommending US Growth after all it's performance problems and most lately questionable management practices. Read the two articles on US Growth in this link -

http://www.adviseronline.com/

3) Except for US Growth, I believe the managed funds you have listed are good ones. Personally, I have decided to stay strictly with index funds (for stock) and concentrate on trying to build a portfolio of assets that are relatively uncorrelated; i.e., including REITs as well as international while overweighting small cap and value.

Regards, Bill
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

16k is 5.33% of 300k. This is too much to withdraw safely with a 50/50 stock bond ratio. Personally, I would look at where I could cut expenses to bring down the withdrawal rate a bit.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote