Join Early Retirement Today

Your own private family bank
Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Your own private family bank

Hi,

I jsut watched this video:

Sound interesting. Has anyone tried to do something like that?
Im also interested if those insurance contracts are as safe as he claims them to be?

Any thoughts?
henny-penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can we get a bullsh!t emoticon? Or a troll emoticon?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

14 seconds in and he mentions the Rothschild family. Oh, thats my family tree, although we are from the branch that lived as peasants in Europe and came here for a better life.

Ill have to watch this at some point but for now Ill just spend less than our income and maintain our debt free status. Works for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

+1 on troll / sales pitch.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny-penny View Post
Hi,

Im also interested if those insurance contracts are as safe as he claims them to be?

Any thoughts?
In what part of Norway do you live?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi,

I jsut watched this video:

Any thoughts?
Yes, I think you're trolling.
But I do have a simple family bank, and it's working well.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

I watched about the first 20 seconds and found the guy's voice annoying and non-confident. (It's ok to be non-confident.... but it doesn't help sell in a presentation.)

I skipped forward to the 10 minute mark and more platitudes...

No way I could watch 35 minutes of this. Can someone summarize it, or provide a transcript.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

I skipped forward to about the 30 minute mark. It's a variation of whole life insurance... something called the PFB Optimized Whole Life.

Don't think it will fly with many of the members here since many here pay cash and avoid interest payments... And mosts members here save a lot more than the example shown there, direct our own investments, and don't have the fee structures associated with a whole life policy.

Here's my reaction to the platitudes in the video...

If it sounds to good to be true.....
Old 07-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #9

Here's the website:
https://privatefamilybanking.com/partners/

As far as I can tell, it seems to be all about selling their training course and book.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't watch all the video, but it seems to be talking about using life insurance with very specific riders as a tool to build wealth.

InfiniteBanking.org
Nash is the man who came up with the process years ago.

Bank on Yourself is a book by Yellen that explains the concepts well.
I think Yellen is using the book to get clients to contact her so she can feed them to insurance brokers and get a lead commission from them. (So the book is really a lead generator.) But the concepts are clearly written.

The people I know who have successfully used this tool follow Nash - InfiniteBanking.org

The host of Radical Personal Finance has spoken on his podcast about this. He thinks the idea / tools can work for people looking at using it for over 20 years due to the upfront costs of the insurance. I think highly of the financial advice he gives on his podcasts so I think this adds weight to the validity of this tool. (My favorite podcasts are his Friday Q&A sessions. I learn from most of those.)

Some posters on BiggerPockets say they use this tool to help fund/manage real estate investments.

I've read the Yellen book and I'm investigating it for myself. One friend of mine is very financially savvy and has been using the Nash method for a few decades. He recommends it to me highly (and he has opportunity in getting a commission, lead fee, etc from me).

This is as far as I've gotten.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Who isnt selling their ideas and knowledge these days?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
14 seconds in and he mentions the Rothschild family. Oh, thats my family tree, although we are from the branch that lived as peasants in Europe and came here for a better life.

Ill have to watch this at some point but for now Ill just spend less than our income and maintain our debt free status. Works for me.
He gets attention using this family name? Heavens know why. As far as I know many families have funds and thusts and other organizations to mange wealth.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Can we get a bullsh!t emoticon? Or a troll emoticon?
No Im not.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Yes, I think you're trolling.
But I do have a simple family bank, and it's working well.
Im interestined in knowing how it works and weather this idea is worth digging deeper. Maybe you could share your experience instead of insulting?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
In what part of Norway do you live?
South, why?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:47 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
I didn't watch all the video, but it seems to be talking about using life insurance with very specific riders as a tool to build wealth.

InfiniteBanking.org
Nash is the man who came up with the process years ago.

Bank on Yourself is a book by Yellen that explains the concepts well.
I think Yellen is using the book to get clients to contact her so she can feed them to insurance brokers and get a lead commission from them. (So the book is really a lead generator.) But the concepts are clearly written.

The people I know who have successfully used this tool follow Nash - InfiniteBanking.org

The host of Radical Personal Finance has spoken on his podcast about this. He thinks the idea / tools can work for people looking at using it for over 20 years due to the upfront costs of the insurance. I think highly of the financial advice he gives on his podcasts so I think this adds weight to the validity of this tool. (My favorite podcasts are his Friday Q&A sessions. I learn from most of those.)

Some posters on BiggerPockets say they use this tool to help fund/manage real estate investments.

I've read the Yellen book and I'm investigating it for myself. One friend of mine is very financially savvy and has been using the Nash method for a few decades. He recommends it to me highly (and he has opportunity in getting a commission, lead fee, etc from me).

This is as far as I've gotten.
The most invormative answer. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:47 AM   #17

I went to an "Infinite Banking" lunch seminar about 5-10 years ago. It was a pitch to push life insurance policies as an investment. What really galled me in their numeric examples was interest calculations in mutual fund examples calculated with simple interest, not compound interest.

Nothing to see here.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I went to an "Infinite Banking" lunch seminar about 5-10 years ago. It was a pitch to push life insurance policies as an investment. What really galled me in their numeric examples was interest calculations in mutual fund examples calculated with simple interest, not compound interest.

Nothing to see here.

-gauss
Yes, I saw that! They obviously leared some different mathematics than I did at school. Life insurance policies could be an idea woth exploring on your own. Anyways, it is good to make your own opinion.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Im interestined in knowing how it works and weather this idea is worth digging deeper. Maybe you could share your experience instead of insulting?
Valuables: The Family Bank €“ A €œSound€ Idea -
THE FAMILY BANK Educating & Inspiring Multi-Generational Family Members through a Shared Investment Structure | Pitcairn
The Family Bank: A Strategy for Preserving Wealth
When I get time, will go back and read these articles again.

Your original post looked very much like a troll. There was a link to video, and the thoughts you posted were very much "troll-like".

FYI, I have a thread "Inter Generational Family Wealth". It explains my meandering thought process as I solved a few challenges we had with accumulated stock.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Valuables: The Family Bank – A “Sound” Idea -
THE FAMILY BANK Educating & Inspiring Multi-Generational Family Members through a Shared Investment Structure | Pitcairn
The Family Bank: A Strategy for Preserving Wealth
When I get time, will go back and read these articles again.

Your original post looked very much like a troll. There was a link to video, and the thoughts you posted were very much "troll-like".

FYI, I have a thread "Inter Generational Family Wealth". It explains my meandering thought process as I solved a few challenges we had with accumulated stock.
Thank you target2019. I will do some reading this weekend.