Your reaction to rising assets

It's healthier to eat $600 worth of seafood than $600 worth of steak.

Even when indulging, one must think of the long-term health issue. :)

Even healthier to eat $600 of fruits and veggies, but that would be hard to do in 2 days. :D

$600 worth of fruit has lots of sugar. :nonono: $600 worth of expensive caviar is low-cal, and healthier. I do not eat caviar however.

After eating a 2-lb lobster in Nova Scotia, followed shortly by another one in Maine, I am still good with lobster 2 years later. They together cost less than 1/10 of that $600, and filled my need for lobsters for years. :) I don't know when I can eat another lobster.

Tough for me to eat $600 worth of anything in 2 days, unless it is outrageously expensive or inflated in price. The frugal in me will not permit that.

Last edited:
It wasn't that big of a deal. This was 2 people ya know...

First day, 4 oz of caviar followed by 2 dozen oysters half raw and half broiled with garlic butter followed by a couple bowls of clam chowder.

Day 2, 4 oz of caviar followed by (2) 14 oz grilled lobster tails.

Washed down with vodka and chardonnay.

My statement said I made 90 grand in one month. That's more than I made working a full year. I celebrated by eating two thirds of one percent of my monthly gain.

Pocket jingle - :)

It wasn't that big of a deal. This was 2 people ya know...

First day, 4 oz of caviar followed by 2 dozen oysters half raw and half broiled with garlic butter followed by a couple bowls of clam chowder.

Day 2, 4 oz of caviar followed by (2) 14 oz grilled lobster tails.

Lumpfish, salmon or sturgeon caviar? Please don't tell me you used a silver spoon!

The "good stuff" was farmed russian ossetra and the other stuff was paddlefish.

Mother of pearl spoons of course - :)

Topped off with creme fraiche and you won't believe it but I prefer to pile this on regular ordinary saltine crackers. Nice and soft with a minimum of flavor so as not to mask the fish eggs. And beverage of choice is icy cold vodka with I put into a stainless steel bottle and coast in the freezer for 3 hours and serve up with little glasses all in a bowl of shaved ice. It's thick like mineral oil this cold and very sweet tasting.

$600 worth of fruit has lots of sugar. :nonono: $600 worth of expensive caviar is low-cal, and healthier. I do not eat caviar however.

After eating a 2-lb lobster in Nova Scotia, followed shortly by another one in Maine, I am still good with lobster 2 years later. They together cost less than 1/10 of that $600, and filled my need for lobsters for years. :) I don't know when I can eat another lobster.

Tough for me to eat $600 worth of anything in 2 days, unless it is outrageously expensive or inflated in price. The frugal in me will not permit that.

At least you can partially blame it on frugalness.. Mine is simply an "unsophisticated palate". Faced with a choice of $600 in seafood or a $1000 hamburger to eat, I would be forced to buck up for the burger!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had caviar once many years ago, did not like it, and have not tried again since. Perhaps the caviar I had was not good, so one of these days I will have to try once more. Other kinds of seafood, I enjoy though never have sashimi.

Talk about common food, I still remember the time when after a 2-week trip ended in Brussels and we found a McDonald, that hamburger tasted so good. And when we were in Spain, after 2 weeks of eating their wonderful jamón, I craved for the ordinary American ham.

So, we eat a variety of food. I am proud to say our range of food is fairly wide. I eat, actually love, the more tamed type of kimchi, and some other ethnic food. It just does not include caviar, sashimi, nor chocolate-covered grasshopper or crickets, etc...

Last edited:
Back on reaction to rising assets, what rising assets?

I keep a diary of the total of my investable assets, and its highest watermark was on July 3rd, 2014. I am way below it.

However, I looked up on Quicken what I have spent from then till now, added that back in, and I would be barely above it by a few $K!

Was it the effect of investing in the wrong market, or spending too much?

It's the combination of both. My portfolio has been flat for the last 2 years. What I spent was principal.

So, don't tell me to spend more. I have been trying to spend less, and have not been successful. Been burning in the 6 figure each year. No money left for caviar, good that I don't eat it.

Last edited:
Gotta love it. 30 years ago we had boomers bragging about doing $600 of blow in 2 days. Now, we have boomers bragging about doing $600 of seafood.

Now, we have boomers worrying about what this will do to your blood vessels. 30 years ago, $600 of blow wasn't as much of a concern.

Personally, I'm sure $600 of blow would kill me. But, since I'm allergic to seafood, I'll take my odds on the nose candy.

My favorite bumper sticker: Back in the Seventies you did acid. Now you won't eat white bread

Back on reaction to rising assets, what rising assets?

I keep a diary of the total of my investable assets, and its highest watermark was on July 3rd, 2014. I am way below it.

However, I looked up on Quicken what I have spent from then till now, added that back in, and I would be barely above it by a few $K!

Was it the effect of investing in the wrong market, or spending too much?

It's the combination of both. My portfolio has been flat for the last 2 years. What I spent was principal.

So, don't tell me to spend more. I have been trying to spend less, and have not been successful. Been burning in the 6 figure each year. No money left for caviar, good that I don't eat it.

It is fair to adjust for your spending. If that still has you nearly flat since the old peak, it may be your market segment allocation. for example, energy, international in general, and EM in particular are still not back to their old highs. The S&P 500 is at new highs.

Yep. That was my point. Being wrong about the market segments to be in, I see no reason to celebrate.

No more XO Cognac. American brandy tastes just fine. I have bought my 3rd box wine yesterday too. A 5L box lasts longer too, and saves me the trouble of pulling the cork every few days. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
Besides, I seem to remember that you already have a nice stash of XO. Drink that before you buy anything else - :)

Those may be the last 4 bottles of XO I ever have in my life. Better make them last. Delayed gratification is in my gene.

I did not tell about the unopened lesser VSOP bottles that I found. Heh heh heh...

Live a little. You don't want to die with them on the shelf now do ya?

What would your friends think that gave them to you? At least break one open and share a glass with your benefactor next time you meet.

And when you are all done with those and you are too broke to buy more I'll send you a bottle - :)

Before touching those unopened bottles in the back of the cabinet, I need to do something about the dozens of bottles that are in various levels of emptiness. I did not say anything about the opened XO and VSOP bottles I am still working on.

Steady, steady... Heh heh heh...

I do appreciate your generosity. I think my children will help me out first, if I am too broke. Or I may just like the cheaper booze and continue to buy my own. Heh heh heh...

"You can live well if you're rich and you can live well if you're poor, but if you're poor, it's much cheaper." -- Andrew Tobias

About sharing these XO bottles, I do not have friends that are so generous. They were gifted either by my wife, who does not drink alcohol, or my children. My daughter does not drink, but my son does and I drink with him often.

Crack the one your son gave you when he is over next. After a nice supper, relaxing and having a chat, pour a couple snifters and talk about the past - :)

Doing it tonight, at his home for dinner, but not with XO.

He is going to open the Idahoan Bourbon whisky bottle I gave him from my RV trip earlier this year. Then, we are going to open the inexpensive brandy that he likes, and that I just bought for him as a refill.

Last edited:
Much to my delight (and wonder, never seen it before) the local supermarket was doing "samples" yesterday. No not those cheese cubes or lunch meats, or "frozen food du jours", but whiskey.

Two "American Whiskies" from Colorado. I gave each a sniff and then poured a "half shot" of the one I thought had the best aroma. It was rich & flavorful and smooth, so I thanked and informed the nice young woman that she just sold a bottle.

It is called "Tin Cup" and the bottle cap is...you guessed it, a metal shot glass. $28/fifth and I'll make some Manhattans with it Monday when my girlfriend visits next.

Ah, Manhattan is my choice of whisky cocktail. My son likes to make Old Fashioned, and my son-in-law Whiskey Sour. I like my drinks dry, with little or no sugar.

I also like to drink neat, or with an ice cube.

When my asset goes up significantly, my main thought is "how am I going to spend the increased wealth to improve my life?" I find myself working a littler harder to live less LBYM. I am a strong believer in "life is short and then you die." Money is just a resource to enjoy this life on earth. I can't take it to the next life, or heaven (or hell). That is, accumulation is no longer my goal since I retired 8 months ago. The new goal is to use it more effectively to enhance my (& people around me) life.

Remember the words of Winston Wolf spoken to Travolta and SamuelL's characters after they'd cleaned up the car in the movie Pulp Fiction.

It's nice to see an increase, but I consider my future in the light of what would a 50% equity decline do.

Keep saving.

"Let's not start smurfing each other's smurfs just yet"?

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom