Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back on reaction to rising assets, what rising assets?

I keep a diary of the total of my investable assets, and its highest watermark was on July 3rd, 2014. I am way below it.

However, I looked up on Quicken what I have spent from then till now, added that back in, and I would be barely above it by a few $K!

Was it the effect of investing in the wrong market, or spending too much?

It's the combination of both. My portfolio has been flat for the last 2 years. What I spent was principal.

So, don't tell me to spend more. I have been trying to spend less, and have not been successful. Been burning in the 6 figure each year. No money left for caviar, good that I don't eat it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Gotta love it. 30 years ago we had boomers bragging about doing $600 of blow in 2 days. Now, we have boomers bragging about doing $600 of seafood.

Now, we have boomers worrying about what this will do to your blood vessels. 30 years ago, $600 of blow wasn't as much of a concern.

Personally, I'm sure $600 of blow would kill me. But, since I'm allergic to seafood, I'll take my odds on the nose candy.

My favorite bumper sticker: Back in the Seventies you did acid. Now you won't eat white bread

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Back on reaction to rising assets, what rising assets?

I keep a diary of the total of my investable assets, and its highest watermark was on July 3rd, 2014. I am way below it.

However, I looked up on Quicken what I have spent from then till now, added that back in, and I would be barely above it by a few $K!

Was it the effect of investing in the wrong market, or spending too much?

It's the combination of both. My portfolio has been flat for the last 2 years. What I spent was principal.

So, don't tell me to spend more. I have been trying to spend less, and have not been successful. Been burning in the 6 figure each year. No money left for caviar, good that I don't eat it.
It is fair to adjust for your spending. If that still has you nearly flat since the old peak, it may be your market segment allocation. for example, energy, international in general, and EM in particular are still not back to their old highs. The S&P 500 is at new highs.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Yep. That was my point. Being wrong about the market segments to be in, I see no reason to celebrate.

No more XO Cognac. American brandy tastes just fine. I have bought my 3rd box wine yesterday too. A 5L box lasts longer too, and saves me the trouble of pulling the cork every few days. Heh heh heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Besides, I seem to remember that you already have a nice stash of XO. Drink that before you buy anything else -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Those may be the last 4 bottles of XO I ever have in my life. Better make them last. Delayed gratification is in my gene.

I did not tell about the unopened lesser VSOP bottles that I found. Heh heh heh...

Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Live a little. You don't want to die with them on the shelf now do ya?

What would your friends think that gave them to you? At least break one open and share a glass with your benefactor next time you meet.

And when you are all done with those and you are too broke to buy more I'll send you a bottle -
Old 07-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Before touching those unopened bottles in the back of the cabinet, I need to do something about the dozens of bottles that are in various levels of emptiness. I did not say anything about the opened XO and VSOP bottles I am still working on.

Steady, steady... Heh heh heh...

I do appreciate your generosity. I think my children will help me out first, if I am too broke. Or I may just like the cheaper booze and continue to buy my own. Heh heh heh...

"You can live well if you're rich and you can live well if you're poor, but if you're poor, it's much cheaper." -- Andrew Tobias

Old 07-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

About sharing these XO bottles, I do not have friends that are so generous. They were gifted either by my wife, who does not drink alcohol, or my children. My daughter does not drink, but my son does and I drink with him often.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Crack the one your son gave you when he is over next. After a nice supper, relaxing and having a chat, pour a couple snifters and talk about the past -
Old 07-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Doing it tonight, at his home for dinner, but not with XO.

He is going to open the Idahoan Bourbon whisky bottle I gave him from my RV trip earlier this year. Then, we are going to open the inexpensive brandy that he likes, and that I just bought for him as a refill.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Much to my delight (and wonder, never seen it before) the local supermarket was doing "samples" yesterday. No not those cheese cubes or lunch meats, or "frozen food du jours", but whiskey.

Two "American Whiskies" from Colorado. I gave each a sniff and then poured a "half shot" of the one I thought had the best aroma. It was rich & flavorful and smooth, so I thanked and informed the nice young woman that she just sold a bottle.

It is called "Tin Cup" and the bottle cap is...you guessed it, a metal shot glass. $28/fifth and I'll make some Manhattans with it Monday when my girlfriend visits next.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Ah, Manhattan is my choice of whisky cocktail. My son likes to make Old Fashioned, and my son-in-law Whiskey Sour. I like my drinks dry, with little or no sugar.

I also like to drink neat, or with an ice cube.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my asset goes up significantly, my main thought is "how am I going to spend the increased wealth to improve my life?" I find myself working a littler harder to live less LBYM. I am a strong believer in "life is short and then you die." Money is just a resource to enjoy this life on earth. I can't take it to the next life, or heaven (or hell). That is, accumulation is no longer my goal since I retired 8 months ago. The new goal is to use it more effectively to enhance my (& people around me) life.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Remember the words of Winston Wolf spoken to Travolta and SamuelL's characters after they'd cleaned up the car in the movie Pulp Fiction.

It's nice to see an increase, but I consider my future in the light of what would a 50% equity decline do.

Keep saving.
"Let's not start smurfing each other's smurfs just yet"?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Gotta love it. 30 years ago we had boomers bragging about doing $600 of blow in 2 days. Now, we have boomers bragging about doing $600 of seafood.

Now, we have boomers worrying about what this will do to your blood vessels. 30 years ago, $600 of blow wasn't as much of a concern.

Personally, I'm sure $600 of blow would kill me. But, since I'm allergic to seafood, I'll take my odds on the nose candy.
I don't really know what "blow" means but your last sentence hints that it might be related to inhaling mind altering drugs. I have to tell you that sort of thing does not get along with LBYM and Early Retirement too well... Perhaps wrong forum?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
My statement said I made 90 grand in one month. That's more than I made working a full year. I celebrated by eating two thirds of one percent of my monthly gain.

Pocket jingle -
Yea but you have to be ready for months when you will loose 90 grand.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Yea but you have to be ready for months when you will loose 90 grand.
+1 If your assets are allocated such for a large increase, a similar decrease is likely on the horizon. Then another increase.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
+1 If your assets are allocated such for a large increase, a similar decrease is likely on the horizon. Then another increase.
I guess I get a little worried when I see a thread like this with so many comments about feeling rich, spending more money, especially on a forum like this. I don't know why, but gives me a slightly discouraged feeling about the future.

I have had some big gains this year too, and a personal new high last Friday, but I don't look at it as real money, I have basically the same number of shares of stock, and the same bonds as before, just that some people are willing to bid a bit more from them this month than last. Just a temporary monthly blip.

On my spreadsheet I prefer to look at any changes in my total asset value as how it would change my monthly income, based on my withdrawal rate.

This seems more realistic to me, rather than saying I made xx grand this month. Looking at how the change affects my withdrawal rate, I might see a nice, or not so nice dollars a month change. But much smaller than the total change. For me this helps keep things in perspective.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it goes up and down, this year it's way up. I got a notice from the broker that my allocations should be checked, I'll call the advisor and have a chat. I kinda like the stocks he picked, maybe I'll just collect the cash it's been generating and buy more muni's. He doesn't handle my bonds, only equities.

All in all, I'm not worried. I like equities, always have.