Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
My derailment came when my buyout application was denied. I figured OMY is no big deal so I signed up for the retention bonus they offered. Now I see our company stock shooting up and for the first time in my 20+ years working in silicon valley, I have unvested options that are in the money. So unless the stock market corrects, I may be stuck working here.

Actually it's not the money, like a good diet and daily exercise, gotta do it for health reasons, right?
BBC News - Retirement 'harmful to health', study says

dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Stuff Happens outside of your control and planning. The Bankruptcy of an Industry. Stock & Options going from 7 digits to nothing, Pension went to PBGC with a significant haircut (over 50%), Supplemental Executive retirement, (For the income above ERISA limits) was not protected in bankruptcy & went to 0. Relocated for new Job at nadir of housing crash and ate a 6 digit loss. Fortunately contributed the IRS max to 401K for more than 2 decades, and have substantial after tax Savings. Keep a good attitude and stay flexible and don't sweat issues you cannot control. We will still retire young, but not at the "high life" we had become accustomed to. For that, I would have to work until 60 or 62, which is not worth it from our point of view.

Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We had two derailments that were real estate related and resulted in about a $150k loss. The only positive was that when DH retired 3 years ago I decided to work part-time for awhile - basically until we sold our then current house and bought and remodeled our retirement house. So the earnings I've made over the last 3 years have more than offset the loss and we are now in a great house (which isn't either one of the two houses that we owned when DH retired...) It has been a wild ride but worked out OK. I did end up working part-time longer than I had originally planned but that was the flexibility that continuing to work part-time gave me. I am planning on soon fully retiring.

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote