Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Slice and dice is EASY in a 401k! No fund minimum, no taxes and tax basis to track. That's the place to start, even with just a few bucks. No need to track it closely, especially if you can split contributions to all your funds.

It's not until you start up a taxable account that it gets painful. Then I would recommend simplicity for those that don't want to spend the time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
It's not until you start up a taxable account that it gets painful. Then I would recommend simplicity for those that don't want to spend the time.
Yep. All I have in my taxable investment account is one "total market index" fund and a little bit of Berkshire Hathaway B. All of my bonds are in the IRAs and my 401K for tax efficiency.

It's way too much of a tax hassle to deal with many funds and rebalancing in the taxable account for me, especially since I don't have all that much in taxable accounts.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I agree mostly with Kronk, but I also want to point that TIAA-CREF has shown that many folks set their 403(b) / 401(k) allocations when they are first employed and then never bother to ever change them. So I think it involves a more than cursory look, but it's true that whatever is done now won't make a big difference over the next couple of years.
Hrm. Good point. This is T-Al's daughter, though, so she's more likely to be one of those people who actually do track it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Slice and dice is EASY in a 401k! No fund minimum, no taxes and tax basis to track. That's the place to start, even with just a few bucks. No need to track it closely, especially if you can split contributions to all your funds.

Well, true, it is easy. Just slap in some percentages and go. So maybe I'm on a personal simplicity kick and just projecting that onto this problem. I don't feel strongly enough about it to continue with much of an argument, though. She's buyng (has bought?) a car, moving (has moved?), starting her first job out of school. With all that going on, go for the simplest solution until the amount matters, then figure out if she's saving anything after-tax and construct portfolio allocations at that point.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 AM   #24

Teaching/showing a kid the benefit of asset allocation is a great thing. You should see what my kid picked. It was awful, but understandable. The advice he received from his mega-employer was pretty shallow. He picked funds appropriate for a retiree, not a 26-year old.

It didn't take much time to explain the basics to him, and then reallocate.

I would never advise someone to dump it all in one fund, unless it was an appropriate target fund, with low expense ratio.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #25

I'll be the contrarian.
How secure is her job? Engineering sounds good, but I don't know the real situation.
Is she getting into a bunch of monthly commitments (car loan, student loans, lease, cell phone, cable TV,...)?
Does she have an emergency fund?

For some young people, a 401k is the most practical way to set up an emergency fund. They don't want to miss the company match, but maybe retirement savings should wait until the emergency fund gets built up. The result is a 401k with 100% allocation to the stable value fund.

Their biggest risk is getting downsized when the economy is in the tank. In that situation, they're going to use the 401k to meet the basic expenses, and they don't want to bear the loss of selling in a down market.

(Of course there are other factors. Maybe the job is very secure, or the job market is very good. Maybe Dear Dad is the real emergency fund. These facts would change the decision.)
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
...or the job market is very good.
Wow, there's a little nostalgia for you...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote