Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I've been very happy with my experiences with auto and home insurance though. I expect that that has something to do with actually having a viable competitive insurance market in those areas.
+1. And, the more medical insurance performed the traditional function of insurance (spreading risk among a large pool for infrequent big expenses, rather than paying for readily anticipatable minor expenses, the less craziness with forms and claims there would be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
I was wondering if Ebenezer was going to show up.
That story always makes me so sad. It's just something about a simple follower of Positive Objectivism being driven to madness by those terrible ghosts. His breakdown and collapse, when he actually helps others and gives away some of his wealth makes me teary-eyed.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

Flyfishnevada
I live in rural Iowa, are you upset with farmers and ranchers receiving 100's of thousands of $ every year.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuli48
Flyfishnevada
I live in rural Iowa, are you upset with farmers and ranchers receiving 100's of thousands of $ every year.
My great uncle farmed in Iowa for over 80 years. He used to marvel at the money the federal government offered him to NOT plant. He preferred to plant, except for normal crop rotation practices where one year was clover or alfalfa. They probably gave him money for doing what he intended to do anyway, I don't know.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuli48 View Post
Flyfishnevada
I am not Flyfishnevada, but I am upset with it. But why do you ask? Do two wrongs make a right?

-ERD50
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuli48 View Post
Flyfishnevada
Not fly, but also upset with farmers and ranchers receiving that kind of money year after year...

I think the ethanol subsidy is one of the worst...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Ideologically speaking, I'm okay with helping the "poor", and also think that some "central planning" of a strategic nature seems useful. But practically speaking, we end up with welfare cheats, politically motivated "subsidies", and white collar crooks connected insiders getting the hubris that is our tax dollars. It's enough to make one a libertopian...

Having said that, most folks on TANF and/or SNAP don't have it so good...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
In the absence of a story with more details, I don't think any of us are qualified to make a judgment on this.
There do seem to be plenty of details available. Husband is a successful chiropractor who can afford a million dollar plus waterfront home. Stay at home wife files claim she is not married to him and collects welfare benefits for her and her kids from multiple programs, including housing assistance, disability payments based on low income and food assistance, yet they all live together in the waterfront house. It's the same welfare fraud of supposedly single mothers hiding their relationship and sometimes cohabitation with the father of their children because the rules demand it. Except here the amount of income of the husband is larger than most and they spent over ten years getting benefits from multiple programs so the total take was larger.

You might argue that rules should be changed, but we still shouldn't be rewarding people just because they know which lies to tell.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for contributing: