Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Your Welfare Dollars at Work
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your Welfare Dollars at Work

Seattle welfare recipient lives in million-dollar home | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Woman on welfare, living in a Lake Washington waterfront house and living a high life.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Don't get me started on this . A few weeks ago we were at our neighborhood seafood restaurant at happy hour and several people who are regulars had free cell phones courtesy of us . I also was in line at the grocery store behind a woman with a large designer purse probably $400 or more using food stamps .
Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe they got a break on the rent. I doubt that the welfare department has any limitation based on where you live. Aren't those benefits need based? Then again, maybe they're scamming the state. They sure aren't the first to do it.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Don't get me started on this . A few weeks ago we were at our neighborhood seafood restaurant at happy hour and several people who are regulars had free cell phones courtesy of us .
They've been advertising those phones on TV. 250 free minutes a month. If you qualify for some program or other. That means it must be a scam for at least the wireless companies.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

People are all pissy about people receiving pensions nowadays, but even if you a receiving a gold-plated, Cadillac pension that you never contributed to, at least you worked for a few decades to get it. These people don't do anything for my money. Where's the outcry about welfare? During the budget battles her in Nevada, it was cut state worker this, cut state worker that, but never did I hear cut welfare this and cut welfare that. Seems a little backwards, but what do I know?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
People are all pissy about people receiving pensions nowadays, but even if you a receiving a gold-plated, Cadillac pension that you never contributed to, at least you worked for a few decades to get it. These people don't do anything for my money. Where's the outcry about welfare? During the budget battles her in Nevada, it was cut state worker this, cut state worker that, but never did I hear cut welfare this and cut welfare that. Seems a little backwards, but what do I know?
Where is the outcry about any of what's going on in our Government with giveaways like this. To top it all off, next year we will all vote the same thieves and scoundrels back into office.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
next year we will all vote the same thieves and scoundrels back into office.
Here in Illinois, getting the same Machine politicians back term after term after term is totally automated. We don't even need to go to the polls. Votes are tabulated based on the politicians knowing who you would want if you did vote. Or, if you do go to the polls, they're smart enough to recogize a mistake and automatically change your errant vote to the "correct" one.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

To find a purveyor of fine foods in your area that is enjoyed by SNAP participants you might want to visit-
SNAP Retail Locator
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Seattle welfare recipient lives in million-dollar home | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Woman on welfare, living in a Lake Washington waterfront house and living a high life.

Ha
I understand the outrage, but for some balance here are the 99% of welfare recipients, where's the outrage about this?

AmericanPoverty.org

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Why does Washington State allow this?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also was in line at the grocery store behind a woman with a large designer purse probably $400 or more using food stamps .
Who knows, maybe that large designer purse is just a counterfeit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Here in Illinois, getting the same Machine politicians back term after term after term is totally automated. We don't even need to go to the polls. Votes are tabulated based on the politicians knowing who you would want if you did vote. Or, if you do go to the polls, they're smart enough to recogize a mistake and automatically change your errant vote to the "correct" one.
I'm so glad that I left the "Crook" county.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Why does Washington State allow this?
I do not believe this is exclusive to Washington State. There is corruption everywhere when it comes to welfare. The powers to be in the welfare systems either don't care, or it's just too big of a problem for them to get involved or their stupid, or all of the above.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I get a kick out of the reaction to these stories. It is like we all feel we are surrounded by free loaders living the high life. The reality, of course, is that most of these stories are either misleading (e.g. somebody is on unemployment while struggling to sell an upside down home, etc.) or single out the few successful outliers who found a loophole, or expose outright criminals. The most telling line in the OP's story was this:
"Federal agents raided the home this weekend but have not released the woman or her husband's name because they have not officially been charged with a crime."
So maybe these folks are the successful outliers or maybe they are about to get prosecuted. NBD in either event. Nonetheless - fun story to get all worked up about. Lets be honest Ha -- you were more amused than worked up, right?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I get a kick out of the reaction to these stories. It is like we all feel we are surrounded by free loaders living the high life. The reality, of course, is that most of these stories are either misleading (e.g. somebody is on unemployment while struggling to sell an upside down home, etc.) or single out the few successful outliers who found a loophole, or expose outright criminals. The most telling line in the OP's story was this:
"Federal agents raided the home this weekend but have not released the woman or her husband's name because they have not officially been charged with a crime."
So maybe these folks are the successful outliers or maybe they are about to get prosecuted. NBD in either event. Nonetheless - fun story to get all worked up about. Lets be honest Ha -- you were more amused than worked up, right?
+1, where's the outrage about the far larger corruption that takes place in politics or on Wall Street? Where's the perspective? It's like concentrating on a splinter in your finger instead of doing something to cure your cancer.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

If they qualify for the program, they should take the benefits.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I understand the outrage, but for some balance here are the 99% of welfare recipients, where's the outrage about this?

AmericanPoverty.org
Two things - first, outrage over the article could be consistent with outrage over the 99%. People who cheat the system (assuming that is the case here) are taking money from the others that may really need it. So there's my outrage for you!

And second, this is a news article about this particular occurrence. Not every article takes in the whole universe of stories surrounding it. I'm sure there are stories about truly needy people - should we criticize those stories for not also showing the cheaters in the same article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I get a kick out of the reaction to these stories. It is like we all feel we are surrounded by free loaders living the high life.
I see this as a technique that some people use to try to discredit/dismiss the story. Makes no sense to me, and I don't believe it is true.

I see the story for what it is - a story about a single (alleged) cheater. It does not lead me to believe that all benefit receivers are cheaters. And that does not change how (allegedly) bad this case is. We get the same responses in many of the pension threads 'Hey, not everyone is getting spiking or whatever' . SO? That doesn't change how bad some of the problems are that do exist.

When you read a story about a murder, do you say "Hah - most people are not murdering, what's the big deal?"

Quote:
The most telling line in the OP's story was this:[INDENT] "Federal agents raided the home this weekend but have not released the woman or her husband's name because they have not officially been charged with a crime."
IMO, the most telling line in the OP's story was this:

Quote:
... traveled around the world to locales in Turkey, Tel Aviv and resort towns in Mexico, according to court records.
-ERD50
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #18

You can buy Starbucks drinks, beer, wine, and cigarettes here with EBT money. Every time I swipe my CC at the grocery store it asks me if it's credit or EBT. What a great system.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #19
Administrator

Does this discussion have anything to do with FIRE?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
If they qualify for the program, they should take the benefits.
OK, but that means the program requirements/documentation should be tightened, so that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Does this discussion have anything to do with FIRE?
our retirement portfolios are not depleted feeding a broken system.

-ERD50
Closed Thread