Votes: 23 20.9%
  • 6 to 10% better

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • 11 to 20% better

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 21% or more better

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
With real estate trending down over the last year I am certainly making less than the SP'sgains.

On the bright side the 20% of my wad in the Fidelity Equity Income fund is beating the S&P by a little (per fidelity's web page).

tryan said:
With real estate trending down over the last year I am certainly making less than the SP'sgains.

You got to be kidding! We only count Real Estate when it's going up. This year it don't count. :LOL:

dmpi said:
You got to be kidding! We only count Real Estate when it's going up. This year it don't count. :LOL:

Sounds like the mantra for the S&P 500............ :LOL: :LOL: I wonder what the threads were like from 2000-2002 about the S&P..........or any other investment for that matter............. :eek: :eek:

Sam said:
Not really. It's the same number. Yours was one day earlier than mine. There was a BIG drop across the board just 2 or 3 days ago.

I figured you had omitted dividends, since your number and mine were ~1.x percent different. The index itself doesn't include dividend payouts, which is why I looked at the results of a low expense SP 500 index fund (the returns of which do include dividends).

I am up 14.3% for the year, mainly due to timely purchases thoughout the year. IMHO, when you are still working and adding funds to your portfolio it is much easier to beat the averages.

BTW, I have a 20% allocation to fixed income. :)

After last nights close. ira 12.33% YTD stocks48% bonds 32% mm20% . 401k 12.15% YTD stocks51% bonds38% mm11% . taxable 19.88% YTD stocks77% bonds10% mm13%.

For myself, there are several reasons for knowing one's legitimate ROI.

First, I want to compare my results to certain benchmarks. My personal benchmark is a particular 529 plan that I use that has domestc large-mid-small cap plus international funds.

Second, I do not want to "fool myself" into a false sense of confidence.

Third, by doing so, I have really convinced myself that it's the asset allocation and low fees that make the difference and not any judicious selection of stocks or market timing on my part.

I have seen folks write that they love their financial advisor because he made them 10% this year in their stock funds (and he was nice about it as well). As we have seen, 10% is not a good return for an all-stock portfolio this year.

LOL! said:
I have seen folks write that they love their financial advisor because he made them 10% this year in their stock funds (and he was nice about it as well). As we have seen, 10% is not a good return for an all-stock portfolio this year.

I don't have a financial advisor. My YTD is 16.2%. My average ROI in the past 15 years is 11%. If those numbers are not "right" to you or for you, then don't believe them.

retired02 said:
After last nights close. ira 12.33% YTD stocks48% bonds 32% mm20% .

That's an excellent return for that asset mix R02! What was your equity portion invested in?

Sam said:
I don't have a financial advisor. My YTD is 16.2%. My average ROI in the past 15 years is 11%. If those numbers are not "right" to you or for you, then don't believe them.

That's OK with me.

Sam said:
It's believable since the return of S&P500 is 12.18% since 1976.

IRA d&c balanced,d&c growth,d&c international,oakmark e&i,royce total return,third ave value,vanguard global equity,reit index&wellesley.

Quicken says 17% YTD, but I don't trust it. The prior version of Quicken (from the mid 90's) would give me a different overall IRR depending on whether I viewed the data grouped by goal, asset type, or account. I'll have to run the numbers manually sometime.

That number is probably inflated by some company stock that did well. My very diversified mix of mutual funds is up around 9-10% for the year.

Vanguard tells me my IRA is up 13.3% YTD and overall is up 16%, but I've added some to that, and moved some around and I'm too lazy to figure it out........Shredder

According to Vanguard's website:

1yr: 20%
3 yr: 17.6%
5 yr: 11.9%

These totals do not take my CDs into account.

I have an awful lot of REIT stuff in my portfolio: VGSIX, IYR, and Alpine RE. I figure I'm just gonna' let the REITs run for awhile longer--even though currently they're about 25% of my portfolio. VGHCX (health care) and VGENX (energy fund) have been a big help over the years.

Caution: As discussed further upthread, it is important to use 'current year' selector in Quicken ROI indicators, not YTD selector.

The YTD takes ROI YTD and projects that out for the rest of the year. Beats me why Quicken does it that way.

AltaRed said:
Caution: As discussed further upthread, it is important to use 'current year' selector in Quicken ROI indicators, not YTD selector.

The YTD takes ROI YTD and projects that out for the rest of the year. Beats me why Quicken does it that way.

I'm using Quicken 2005 Deluxe and I do not see a "current year" ROI.

ROI YTD is 13.31%

ROI 1 Year is 12.12%

The number I really measure by is my trusty "Annual Portfolio Withdrawl" spreadsheet. I list all my assets, i.e. mutual funds, stocks, checking, cash on hand, etc. each December 31. I divide that in to my total annual expenses. I also compare each year's total assets with the previous year's total and also track long term gains or losses.

My YTD increase in total assets is 9.9%, including total YTD expenses.

3 seperate portfolios for 3 different time frames , ytd

bucket 1 cds, money markets about 4.5%

bucket 2 portfolio (bonds, unlisted reits, capital and preservation mix 6.9%

bucket 3 growth and income mix 12.6%
bucket 3 growth mix 11.00% ( pretty conservative mix at the moment)

Would have loved to read this thread this time in 2000, 2001, or 2002............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Would have loved to read this thread this time in 2000, 2001, or 2002............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's why I'm more concerned about my own net worth growth rate than I am with my ROI, especially in the accumulation phase.

Looking back at the 00-02 years, I still had solid net worth growth, mostly due to working and saving more to make up for less investment growth.

FinanceDude said:
1999 : +20.70%
2000: -6.04%
2001: -12.23%
2002: -17.49%
2003: +29.51%
2004: +11.82%
2005: +8.95%
2006: +11.57% (YTD)

Ave: +5.85% for the period (of course, I have returns back to '82, but I doubt that you are interested in "ancient history ;) ).

Just give it time, the market will always be up (over the long term). The trick is to have enough there (at retirement) to get over the "short term" variations...

- Ron

growth mix , fidelity insight

1999 31%

2000 -2%

2001 -2.7%

2002 -14.5%

2003 33%

2004 14.5%

2005 11.1%

Back
Top Bottom