Join Early Retirement Today

Re: YTD
Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

up 2.5% from 9
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Went from a high of 6.1% on 1 April to 3.9% today.

Tweedy, Browne slid almost 7% in two weeks... haven't seen that behavior since early 2003.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
+5.6% YTD as of today, per Vanguard. ~100% in equity mutual funds.
Ed,

Where do you find YTD in Vanguard?
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Veritasophia,

'My Portfolios' tab, 'Accounts & Activity--Consolidated View'

Just under the "Accounts & Activity--Consolidated View' line, you will see:
'Total Vanguard Assets' [with your balance following], followed by '(Compare to year-end balances)' in blue lettering on the same line.

Click on '(Compare to year-end balances)' and you will go to...
'Year-End Balances'! Then I get out my calculator.

(It took me a long time to find it. You know how invisible something is when you look right at it all the time? )

Ed
Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

This is shaping up to be a HUGELY frustrating year. I have a target net worth at which I pull the plug. I'm 51. The year matters less than the number.

I'm approaching the number. Let me tell you, in that configuration this recent 5% smack has been agony.
modlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice rebound, especially on foreign dev+EM+commodities yesterday. Lets have some more of those!

Seeing 5-figure changes in 1 day (corresponding to 1 year of living costs!) can certainly get those emotions going!

I shouldn't look but; YTD as per closing yesterday: 7.3%

Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I purposely have not looked at my portfolio the last week or so - it would be too depressing! Judging by the huge drops in the DJIA, Nasdaq, EM, and International recently, I assume I have lost over $100k. But I am in it for the long term and will stay the course . . . painful as it may be.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:33 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
I purposely have not looked at my portfolio the last week or so
Toejam, I remember you saying that you ER'd primarily due to MSFT and INTC.* *Just curious -- are you still holding your original positions?* *If not, when/why did you diversify?

I recently bought INTC for the first time since 2000.* *I no longer view them as a high-growth tech stock, but they're starting to look pretty good as a dividend-paying utility with some growth potential. If they increased their payout ratio, they would become extremely attractive. Ditto MSFT.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:49 AM   #29

If I have 3 main investments, one 60% of my funds, one 20%, the other 20%, do I just average their YTD performance, or do I weight it by % of holdings?

Sorry, I am a bit math challenged. I'd like a way to track my own allocation vs. the pre-built Lifecycle funds available with the same funds.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Weight it.

0.6 X return of the 60% fund + 0.2 X return of one 20% fund + 0.2 X return of the other 20% fund
modlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #31

Created a handy dandy xls spreadsheet!

8.12% as of 30APR, last data available.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Created a handy dandy xls spreadsheet!

8.12% as of 30APR, last data available.
Mine was pretty good too thru April. Then the sell in May mentality took over.*
Yesterday was the first up day I've had in awhile.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #33

I'm at 2% today. Down from 9% two weeks ago. Two days ago it was at 0.3%. Scary time.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #34

... 4+%, but the haircut hasn't been pleasant. never is!
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Veritasophia,

'Total Vanguard Assets' [with your balance following], followed by '(Compare to year-end balances)' in blue lettering on the same line.

(It took me a long time to find it. You know how invisible something is when you look right at it all the time? )

Ed
Ah frickin ha! Someone asked me last week (LOL?) how I could have gotten my YTD from vanguard as they didnt have it, and I knew I had just seen it and looked at it about once a month, but I couldnt find it again!

Might explain why some people dont get it, as i think the consolidated view is only available to voyager and flagship customers...and the YTD thing is definitely in an obscure spot.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Veritasophia,

Ed
Thanks Ed,

Could you (or anyone) tell me how to factor in investments made this year? For example, if I invested $2000 in a fund so far this year, do I substract that 2000 and calculate the change in value according to what's left after the substraction?

But then what do I use as my basis to calculate a YTD% for that fund?
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Ah frickin ha!* Someone asked me last week (LOL?) how I could have gotten my YTD from vanguard as they didnt have it, and I knew I had just seen it and looked at it about once a month, but I couldnt find it again!

Might explain why some people dont get it, as i think the consolidated view is only available to voyager and flagship customers...and the YTD thing is definitely in an obscure spot.
It was me. And it appears the above confirms that YTD is not on the Vanguard web site. You can calculate it from numbers on the web site ... as long as you neither add new money nor take out old money from your holdings.

OK, CFB, are you still up 192.3% YTD?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 4.1% 5/25/06 coffeehouse port mostly, little more foreign, and less reits.........Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
For some reason I am now able to link outside accounts and see the consolidated view in Vanguard. In the past I couldn't access this feature. VG must have changed who can access these features to include us commoners.

I have less than $250,000 at VG. I did add an Admiral class fund recently. Strange.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
It was me. And it appears the above confirms that YTD is not on the Vanguard web site. You can calculate it from numbers on the web site ... as long as you neither add new money nor take out old money from your holdings.

OK, CFB, are you still up 192.3% YTD?
Never was! I havent looked, but dollarwise i'm back to where i was a few weeks ago, so whatever I said then is what i'm up now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
For some reason I am now able to link outside accounts and see the consolidated view in Vanguard. In the past I couldn't access this feature. VG must have changed who can access these features to include us commoners.
Or maybe you have high friends in places...err...friends in high places...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote