Join Early Retirement Today

Re: YTD
Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
... both had distributions in mid december.
Thanks!

I wonder why I did not see that in past years history for 2, 5, or 10 year data.

Anyway, at least it was not just my own fund -- I guess when I get my TRP performance report, it will tell all!

Quote:
RPMGX
12-20-06 01:00 PM
Fund Dividend Distribution
This fund has declared a dividend distribution of $0.08000 per share, effective on 12/19/2006. The fund will trade without this distribution as of that date. Record Splits and Dividends in your transaction portfolio or create one if you haven't already.
Yup, matchs date exactly, but magnitude... I think NAV was $55-ish, so that is like < 0.1% of that... Hey, I am going to get a glass of champagne and figure it out later... Happy New Years, everyone!
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cheat - I used my Vanguard portfolio performance calculator - just checked 12.7%.

heh heh heh heh - now of course I don't include the 6% of total porfolio in individual stock DRIP plans I haven't yet canceled and transferred to my Vanguard account - that would would be 'work'. Besides I only keep em for hormone balance/ just gotta putz purposes anyway.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
I cheat - I used my Vanguard portfolio performance calculator - just checked 12.7%.

heh heh heh heh - now of course I don't include the 6% of total porfolio in individual stock DRIP plans I haven't yet canceled and transferred to my Vanguard account - that would would be 'work'. Besides I only keep em for hormone balance/ just gotta putz purposes anyway.
Yup, I think early next year I'll balance my own figurin' versus what the brokerages report to me...

Sounds like we are similar too, in that we are moving from holding individual DRiPs to indexes. I am going to miss tracking them, but as a lot of people find, we tend to remember and place on a pedestal the winners (NVO) while we conveniently 'forget' the WMTs (recent dog, although overall it was a good fifteen or so year ride).
Old 12-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yup, matchs date exactly, but magnitude... I think NAV was $55-ish, so that is like < 0.1% of that...
dividend = .08 ... stcg = .42 and ltcg = 3.65
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy

2. However, I not only endorse the concept of buying and holding indexes, but I follow it as well; my own lagging against the returns that LOL! cites can be seen in one simple graph, below, where my own choice for a midcap fund (RPMGX) had a very weird drop at what looks like about two weeks ago, compared to the Vanguard-equivalent index LOL! cited that it usually tracks pretty close to (VIMSX).
We also have RPMGX. I'm confused as to why you compare it to VIMSX. When I look at both funds on morningstar, I see that RPMGX is classified as Mid Cap Growth, with year-to-date return being 6.8% (-2.2 for it's category). However, VIMSX is classified as a Mid Cap Blend, with year-to-date return being 13.6 (-0.2 for it's category).

I'm not saying that RPMGX didn't lag behind it's category (-2.2) this year, but I really don't understand why you are comparing it to VIMSX...appears to me it is a different category, and you are not comparing apples to apples? Am I interpreting this correctly

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
We also have RPMGX. I'm confused as to why you compare it to VIMSX. When I look at both funds on morningstar, I see that RPMGX is classified as Mid Cap Growth, with year-to-date return being 6.8% (-2.2 for it's category). However, VIMSX is classified as a Mid Cap Blend, with year-to-date return being 13.6 (-0.2 for it's category).

I'm not saying that RPMGX didn't lag behind it's category (-2.2) this year, but I really don't understand why you are comparing it to VIMSX...appears to me it is a different category, and you are not comparing apples to apples? Am I interpreting this correctly

Yup yup yup -- sorry for any confusion -- I didn't really start out to compare it with VIMSX philosophically, I just sloppily plugged in some of the Vanguard funds that LOL! had quoted to see what the heck happened to my own fund return at the end of year, and RPMGX turned up as the laggard. I then plugged in what was indeed a comparable Vanguard equivalent (VIGRX), and it shows similar dip.

I think I owe thanks to "d" who has just gently tugged on my arm to point me where my money went -- short and long term cap gains.

Between my ignorance on CD vs bonds the other day (only looking at yield, not appreciation) and tonight's confusion, I think I am glad index funds just require me to... well, not really even do what I am doing...

"Bring me another champagne cocktail!"

Thanks to all!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:

... my own choice for a midcap fund (RPMGX) had a very weird drop
at what looks like about two weeks ago...

Ok, so it's a distribution...

But would'nt DRiP Guy, who owns the fund, be notified ?

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Guess some people are sensitive to what might look like bragging... I'll try to be careful not to accidentally offend.

Not really sensitive, just trying to make the point that it usually degenerates into bragging pretty quickly and there is no verifying anyone's numbers. So we might as well compare penises.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
there is no verifying anyone's numbers.
I'll tell you the truth...

Since it's before 1 a.m. on Jan 1 (I'm on the east coast), my YTD is 0%... )

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Not really sensitive, just trying to make the point that it usually degenerates into bragging pretty quickly and there is no verifying anyone's numbers. So we might as well compare penises.
Thanks, but I think I'll take a pass on that one...

I know what you mean, tho' !
Old 01-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena

Ok, so it's a distribution...

But would'nt DRiP Guy, who owns the fund, be notified ?

I don't know that it matters, but it's held in my 401(k), I never have gotten 'real time' individual holding info sent to me from there (okay, maybe the prospectus when I started a new fund), even when I held individual stocks. Of course, quarterly or annual statement would catch all changes to share amounts.

I once had a stock I held both 'street' in my name and also some shares that were in a retirement account -- I got lots of updates on the shares I held directly (quarterly updates, new tranche, press releases, annual report, proxy materials, etc), but never on the ones held inside.

I did just update Quicken this AM and it shows the additional shares having been reinvested in my account on 12/19/06, so everything is indeed in order.

Sorry if my ignorance was a bother for anyone...
Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I don't know what caused that loss with just a couple of biz days left in the year, but that is what caused my own overall underperformance. Still not complaining.
I have tracked the stock market almost every day in 2005
and 2006, and the last two days of the year on both years has been down.
I am trying to see "trends" in the market...but with only 2 years worth of data, it isnt so predictable.

:

~M
Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Years ago, I didn't worry about YTD returns. I never realized how far behind I was getting. Tracking returns at regular intervals forced me to accept reality and forced me to change investments and get on the bandwagon. So I have found it very productive.

Now you could write, "Go ahead and calculate all you want LOL!, but keep it to yourself." However, I think posting numbers helps confirm for folks that asset allocation is important and that indexing works.
I have to agree, and I have a big bruise on my @ss to prove it. I spent 2006 in safe investments because I am so smart that I knew we'd be in a recession in 2006.

Now that I've moved money back into the market so you can be sure 2007 will break records for the stock market decline.

If I can learn from my mistakes, I will be really smart by the time I die.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
I have to agree, and I have a big bruise on my @ss to prove it. I spent 2006 in safe investments because I am so smart that I knew we'd be in a recession in 2006.

Now that I've moved money back into the market so you can be sure 2007 will break records for the stock market decline.

If I can learn from my mistakes, I will be really smart by the time I die.

-helen
he he he -- Hang in there.

You know the old saw:

"Boy that shore were a dum misstake!"

"Yup. How duzz I keep from doin that?"

"Need to git u sum speary ants."

"How duzz I git me some speary ants?"

"Jus' keep makin' misstakes."
Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have to agree, and I have a big bruise on my @ss to prove it.

-helen
I know the feeling Helen, I took a 65% loss in 2000-2001. Took me till 05 to catch up. Now that I'm retired I can not afford to do this again so my investments are a lot more conservative, with mostly indexes, and 40% bonds. I'd be relatively well off If I did that during the dot com phase..........Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #36

Quote:
My penis size is...
Well Brewer.... There are a good number of women here and I'm sure they would like to know. Don't leave them hanging waiting

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Well Brewer.... There are a good number of women here and I'm sure they would like to know. Don't leave them hanging waiting

It would be unverifiable anyway, so why bother?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #38

19%.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
I know the feeling Helen, I took a 65% loss in 2000-2001.
Let's not even go there. I work in IT and was following Peter Lynch's "buy what you know" approach. Talk about a lynching ...

My college tutition pales in comparison to my tutition costs of the market.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Let's not even go there. I work in IT and was following Peter Lynch's "buy what you know" approach. Talk about a lynching ...
Same here.
Evelyne is offline   Reply With Quote