Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: As of today (8/2/2011) what is your YTD total return on your retirement investments?
More than 3% 51 39.53%
Between 2% and 3% 29 22.48%
Between 1% and 2% 15 11.63%
Between 0% and 1% 10 7.75%
Essentially 0% 12 9.30%
Between 0% and -1% 4 3.10%
Between -1% and -2% 5 3.88%
Between -2% and -3% 1 0.78%
Less than -3% 2 1.55%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

YTD I am at 2.17%.

Asset allocation is as follows:
Large Cap Stocks 30%
Small Cap Stocks 14%
International Stocks 15%
Domestic Bonds 16%
Global Bonds 5%
Other (reits, commodoties, etc) 3%
Cash 17%

Cash % is a bit high for my tastes but am going to wait awhile before I commit anything else to the market.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #22

I thought yesterday would essentially wipe out all gains for the year, but I just ran the numbers, and I'm still up around 2.3%.

I'm down about 2% in my mutual funds, which are all invested fairly risky. My Roth IRA, which is invested even riskier, is down about 7.5%. Scottrade account is up about 14.5%. One of my old 401ks, which is split between Boeing common stock and a bond fund, is up around 6.5%. One of my old rollover IRAs is up around 4.2%. Another is at the breakeven point. And my 401k with my current employer is slightly negative (-.3%).

So, I'm not griping too much. These figures would be worse, but I did cash out a bit at some of the high points during the year. If it drops too much more, I'll start buying back in.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My investments have only returned 0.5% as of this morning which seems to be trailing most of you. Asset Allocation:
47% - Domestic Stock
23% - Foreign Stock
20% - Bonds
10% - Short Term

If you counted company matching funds inside the 401k then the return would look better. Not sure how most calculate?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

3.8% - 30% stock / 60% bonds / 10% cash. Gains through dividends and interest on bonds.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #25

I am just a hair over 2% based on the combined holdings in my IRA and taxable accounts, the latter of which supports my ER. Thanks to some careful rebalancing in my IRA earlier this year and in mid-July while the market was still high, my IRA has actually done better than my dividend-oriented (and bond) taxable accounts even though the latter has less in stocks. Both accounts are in the black this year, thankfully.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #26

+.99% after yesterday but like Midpack not too concerned about the short term. IMHO we didn't do anything more than kick the can a little further down the road. I do like the idea of the debt ceiling raises being linked to reductions in spending though, so not all bad. I think bopth parties blew it by not going after the higher hanging fruit of $4 trillion in debt reductions through cuts and revenue increases.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #27

If you counted company matching funds inside the 401k then the return would look better. Not sure how most calculate?[/QUOTE]

FWIW I always counted co. match as a gain. No longer employed, so I envy you. Wait! Forget I said that.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to Vanguard where most of my money is at. Didn't see where there was a YTD performance. But did see that my total balance is pretty much at the start of the year.

I'm at about

US Equities 30%
Intl Equities 20%
Bonds 37%
Cash 13%
Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

+4.7%. My AA has shifted quite a bit since the beginning of the year, but I currently have only 30% in equities.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not sure how most calculate?
XIRR function on Excel; anything else does not account for contributions/withdrawls during the period.

But again, that's only my opinion ...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

YTD 2.5%
25% large caps
25% small caps (with REIT, microcap and value tilt)
25% international
10% global bonds
5% bonds
5% other ( mostly commodity futures)
5% cash
Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

YTD return is not the same as annualized YTD. For example, if I make 3% from Jan thru June, then YTD return is 3%, but annualized YTD return is 6%.

I think with XIRR() one has to put 12/31/2011 as the last date as well, otherwise you get the wrong YTD as well.

Last week, both bonds and equities had returned 3% to 4%, so it didn't matter much what your asset allocation was: You had about a 3% to 4% return for the most part.

This week, with equities down and bonds up, bond-heavy asset allocations have done much better than equity-heavy allocations.

If one looks at some Vanguard Target Retirement fund YTD returns, then one can see for the stock:bond ratio in those funds what an index fund YTD return would be. For example, Vanguard 2030 has a reported 18.5% bond allocation and YTD of 1.34% while Vanguard 2010 has a reported 52.2% fixed income allocation and YTD of 3.59% (thru August 2).

That Vanguard 2030 YTD return of 1.34% would be about 1.34% * 12/7 = 2.3% annualized YTD return.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #33

So for all of you who calculate this what do you do with the information?

I don't a) because I'm to cheap to buy Exel b) to lazy to input all the information and c) there is nothing I would do with the information

DD
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
So for all of you who calculate this what do you do with the information?

I don't a) because I'm to cheap to buy Exel b) to lazy to input all the information and c) there is nothing I would do with the information

DD
I can't help you with b) and c), but for a) try OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite . It's free and essentially identical to Excel.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

stocks and Wellesly 2.46%, loans ~10%, Cds 4%, rentals 3-6% without figuring appreciation or depreciation and depending on whether I use value of the property after cost of sale and paying taxes or whatever made up number I put on the properties. I do admire the precision with which you can all calculate what you're making - I'm more in the "do I still have checks?" realm.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

2.89% in the retirement accounts, but if I include all the accounts it goes up over 7%.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Medicare costs.. I struggle with how to manage end of life care costs paid by Medicare. At some point I think the family and physician needs to put his/her skin in their decisions. Don't know how this could be done but when I hear of aggressive treatment with little possibility of restoring health to an older adult I am troubled. I have no issue with palliative care. I heard that in ancient China the physician was paid only if he cured the patient.

I remember the days before Medicare when families would gather to ponder the value of medical treatment for an elderly relative. Often the elderly relative refused treatment, other than palliative care, because s/he did not want to burden the family financially. Now, because no one is paying for the treatment many will go for broke because they won't go broke.

FYI, I am an older adult.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

4.5 % I calculated it this morning . 60% stocks , 30% bonds , 10% cash
Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #39

+2.8% as of the most recent "refresh" of securities prices.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have been 100% in GLD since 2007, just kidding...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote