YTD Performance Poll

As of today (8/2/2011) what is your YTD total return on your retirement investments?

• More than 3%

Votes: 51 39.5%
  • Between 2% and 3%

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Between 1% and 2%

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • Between 0% and 1%

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Essentially 0%

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • Between 0% and -1%

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Between -1% and -2%

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Between -2% and -3%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Less than -3%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
As of today, +2.35% (one month ago, we were at +5.75%).

-0.8% as of COB today.:facepalm:

Oh well...I did some minor rebalancing and shifted another $20K into equities. That should fix it!:rolleyes:

I calculated my return on July 1. It is too crazy right now to do it. I generally only look at returns twice a year.

Went from 3.00% annualized YTD return a few days ago to -1.98% annualized YTD return at close of business today. Easy come, easy go. The real dilemma now is that I'm 55.1% stocks and 44.9% bonds whereas I have a 60/40 target. Time to rebalance and sell bonds and buy stocks? That would be the call if I break 55/45 but it is hard to jump in while the rest of the world is abandoning ship.

I am about -0.7% for the year (not annualized) after yesterday's bloodbath. Good thing I did a small rebalancing of $10k from stocks to bonds a few weeks ago.

Don't even know why I voted in this poll, but it did say investments, all and inclusive right? I don't consider myself an investor because all mine are fixed, but still investments. Of the total invested:

31% Mortgage @5,5%
52% IRA CD @4.65% (mature in 2014)
17% CD's @4.5% (mature in 2014)

Boring type investments but I really sleep good at night. The mortgage will run for ten years to payout. That will put me at 84 years of age. I'm hoping CD rates will be moving up by 2014 so I can roll them over. Of course the IRA will roll over as a lump sum. If rates suck in 2014 I'll have to go for some other type fixed income investment. I don't intend to draw off the CD's except for the minimum required distribution on the IRA. That distribution will purchase another CD. We typical live off my pension, Social Security for me and DW, and if necessary, money from the mortgage payments.

YTD Performance

Interesting. Just checked for the thread and up 3.7% for the year as of Friday per Mint.com

I have most of my holdings in an IRA in Russels Investment which is balanced with REIT's, stocks, bonds, etc.

A Roth IRA that is 100% in stocks

A retirement account at work that is a combo of bonds and stocks.

Don't even know why I voted in this poll, but it did say investments, all and inclusive right? I don't consider myself an investor because all mine are fixed, but still investments. Of the total invested:

Johnnie36, It sounds like you have invested well! You are taking the kind of "risk" which fits your situation (very low risk other than inflation - and right now, you are BEATING inflation). You have the basics covered by pension/ss, so why take a bunch of risk? I call that INVESTMENT in caps!!:dance: You have every right to vote in the poll. Equities are not the only investment category, after all.

I envy you snagging the CDs when you did. I wish I had done that as well.

One comment on this thread, if there are folks that are still working and they are factoring in their contributions and their companies contributions to their 401Ks, that will be misleading compared to ports that are not receiving contributions.

One comment on this thread, if there are folks that are still working and they are factoring in their contributions and their companies contributions to their 401Ks, that will be misleading compared to ports that are not receiving contributions.
You may be right. Additional contributions are factored in our YTD calculation, however. XIRR in Excel is definitely helpful. BTW, our YTD is less than 1%.

Question to those of 39% with YTD performance of more then 3% - where did you invest your money?

CDs, MLPs, utility stocks, dividend paying Canadian stocks, hard assets, dividend paying msc stocks

After Monday's carnage my ytd is now at 0.61%

Bulk of investments are in FIDO FREEDOM 2010, VG TGT 2010 and VG Wellesley.

Most of the 10% cash is in I-Bonds and 2 CD's from Penfed at 5% that mature in October and November.

Are we talking book value or market value?

At the end of Monday, with a portfolio 87%/0/13%(cash), I was down 8.3% for the year.

I was at 2.7% when this poll started, I am now down about 0.5%, thanks to today's rebound. May not sustain, though. I expect more volatility and stumbling around this level +-200 points each way, for the rest of the year.

Still I could not resist CVX, with a P/E in single digits and a great forward looking future, especially now that Oil is down ( means potential to get back up to the $100 again ).

Question to those of 39% with YTD performance of more then 3% - where did you invest your money?

Precious metals, I-bonds (old ones), SPDAs (old ones), family business (stock), GIF (only 2%), equities (now a loser). Didn't include RE since it's personal residence, but up 5% or more I think

Back
Top Bottom