Join Early Retirement Today

Zero Day
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Zero Day

March 10th was the market's "Zero Day," where dividend-adjusted returns from the Standard & Poor's 500 Index, the favored long-term benchmark for conservative investors -- registered a negative cumulative return for the decade so far. Put simply, millions of investors have been throwing good money after bad for more than eight years. End of Story.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
Put simply, millions of investors have been throwing good money after bad for more than eight years. End of Story.
Unless, of course, the investor in question has ventured beyond the S&P 500.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, but what about folks who invested in January 2003?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, but what about folks who invested in January 2003?
They won't hit zero until the end of the month(week?).
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand why this thread has drawn such little attention. My observations of the investing behavior of perhaps the majority of those who post is that it favors the old buy-and-hold, stocks-for-the-long-run mantra. While I also tend to hold my investments for periods of five years or longer, a few caveats are in order. First, the typical small investor continues to hold on average only 10% of their equity allocation in foreign stocks. Also, a truly diversified investment portfolio holds the sorts of asset classes encompassed in, for example, the Harvard and Yale endowment portfolios. These guys are the ultimate in long-term investors. It's an endowment, after all. If you are not familiar with these managers' investment strategy, Google them to learn how they define reality.

If you haven't done so already, please broaden your definition of diversification. The underperformance of US equities has been appalling.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
March 10th was the market's "Zero Day," where dividend-adjusted returns from the Standard & Poor's 500 Index, the favored long-term benchmark for conservative investors -- registered a negative cumulative return for the decade so far. Put simply, millions of investors have been throwing good money after bad for more than eight years. End of Story.
Not even close for people who had allocations into small caps, REITs, international stocks and precious metals/materials. Those folks are considerably ahead.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintucson View Post
If you haven't done so already, please broaden your definition of diversification. The underperformance of US equities has been appalling.
Large cap US equities, specifically. From 2001 to 2006, US small cap -- particularly small cap value -- did quite well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

chart.jpg
Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You will always be able to arbitrarily select points on a timescale that would have been unfortunate for buying and selling.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
True, int'l has outperformed over the last several years. But YTD int'l has had more downside than US:

DJ -7.5&
NASDAQ -16.5%
S&P 500 -12.2%
-----------------
Nikkei -20%
DAX -20%
CAC 40 -18%

Your point is well taken, though, int'l diversification over the last several years would have beaten a US only portfolio.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I like the part up til 2000.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't understand why this thread has drawn such little attention.
I guess because:
1) The "Zero Day" scary label is just BS. Who thought of that? What is magic about 1 Jan 2000? Heck, we've been below zero tiem and again.
2) As others (and you) have mentioned, diversified portfolios haven't done as poorly.

So, this thread will be of great interest to those who:
-- Didn't know that diversifying was important
or
-- Thought large cap US stocks could only go up.

I think that's a small group of people on this board.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Unless, of course, the investor in question has ventured beyond the S&P 500.
Or, if the investor went into an S&P index with a lump sum in January 2002, DCAed up to mid-August 2007 and out.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I remember the first time I said "Wow, if I'd just put my money under the mattress I'd have more than I have now." I think that was around 1988.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Spreadsheet sez: time to buy more US stocks.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't understand why this thread has drawn such little attention. My observations of the investing behavior of perhaps the majority of those who post is that it favors the old buy-and-hold, stocks-for-the-long-run mantra. While I also tend to hold my investments for periods of five years or longer, a few caveats are in order. First, the typical small investor continues to hold on average only 10% of their equity allocation in foreign stocks. Also, a truly diversified investment portfolio holds the sorts of asset classes encompassed in, for example, the Harvard and Yale endowment portfolios. These guys are the ultimate in long-term investors. It's an endowment, after all. If you are not familiar with these managers' investment strategy, Google them to learn how they define reality.

Eh, you might want to read Swenson's book. He most definitely does not recommend the alternative assets Yale invest in for individual investors [timber, private equity, hegde funds, etc.]. IIRC, his recommended asset classes were:

1) a US TSM index Fund
2) a MSCI EAFE index fund
3) a REIT index fund
4) a TIPS bond fund
5) a IT/LT Treasury bond fund

btw - here's a cool site that'll let you see trailing total returns for mutual funds:

Stockcharts
Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Pardon me, but as we haven't met, you might consider refraining from commenting on what I have or have not read.

I'm citing money managers such as David Swensen and Charles Ellis as examples of really-big-picture kinds of thinkers. Mr. Swensen says, "Don't invest like I do." Warren Buffet says the same. I'm familiar with the refrain, because I use it myself when friends or family ask me for investment ideas. (Of course, the only thing I have in common with these gentleman is the use of the line, "Don't invest like I do.")

I encourage people to do what all successful investors before us have done: find a reasonable, well-thought-out investment strategy that works for you, and stick with it.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #18

You are hereby pardoned.