Join Early Retirement Today

zillow.com
Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

zillow.com

Don't know if anyone has seen this website before, but I think it's pretty cool in regards to researching real estate values:

www.zillow.com

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: zillow.com
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Don't know if anyone has seen this website before, but I think it's pretty cool in regards to researching real estate values:

www.zillow.com
Jay, JPatrick beat you to it. He posted this yesterday:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...5146#msg105146

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #3

Darn...
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Darn...
Yah, you may need to crank your alarm back another hour if you want to keep up with old JPatrick
Old 02-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks. It's good link. My house has the lowest price in the neigborhood. Apparently it does have information regarding the number of bedrooms and square footage.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting - both pre Katrina and where I live now don't seem to be important/in their data base.

heh heh heh heh - maybe I should try Missoula
Old 02-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #7

I got a message saying "We don't support the Safari browser for the Mac."

Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just right click on the site, that'll make it work.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #9

Now that's cute, fuzzy bunny*
Old 02-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thats why they pay me the big bucks around here...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Business Week just picked up the site:* "Good news for real estate addicts.* On Feb. 8, Expedia.com (EXPE ) founder Rich Barton unveiled his site Zillow.com, which uses public records to crunch appraisals for about 40 million U.S. homes -- all without sharing personal data or meeting with a sales rep.* The ad-supported site crashed repeatedly after heavy publicity attracted swarms of visitors.* But Barton kept cool: Keeping a promise to Zillow's developers, he shaved his head down to a brush cut as a reward for getting the beta version up on time."

No head shots were posted with the article...

"A New Home Site On The Block"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The site is cool, but it estimated my condo to be worth about $100K more than I can realistically sell it for. It's probably very good at evaluating neighborhoods but not so hot at individual properties.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #13

Zillow is pretty impressive ... came within 10k of my realtors estimate with thier "zestimate" for the 3 SF dwellings I have in the city.

Has trouble in the rural areas though (not enough comps).
Old 02-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Remember to correct for any mistakes in bedrooms, bathrooms and sq ft. I found the ability to pick which properties were comparables very useful.

Oliver
Old 02-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

I think it's good for ballpark estimates. One thing I noticed: The house 3 doors down from mine is exactly the same floorplan, but with some upgrades. Zillow shows their value to be 8% LOWER than mine.

I know I couldn't sell my place for what they're indicating...
Old 02-14-2006, 07:25 AM   #16

I asked my brother, who uses a Windows PC at his office, to run our homes. Mine wasn't in their database (it's about 3.5 years old), but his showed a value that was much too low. He corrected the square footage, number of baths, etc., which raised the estimate almost $200k. The new estimate matched the recent estimate of the realtor who lives across the street from him. He was mighty pleased to see the house he bought for $275k 10 years ago now valued at $700k (he has made a few improvements--new hurricane-resistant windows, turned a screend porch into a real room w/heat & A/C, landscaping). Charleston, SC area real estate has been a good investment recently, but has peaked--pretty flat since last summer with high-value properties down ~5% according to local realtors.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #17

Speaking of Charleston, it didn't have much to show on the sea islands...rural areas are proabably going to improve as they get more data into the system. Although our house (3.5 years old) wasn't in there, it had a huge range for the mile or so around us (from 400k to 800k and a few 2M). Fun to play with...
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I asked my brother, who uses a Windows PC at his office, to run our homes.

astromeria - The site works just fine on a Mac - but they do require the FireFox browser rather than Safari. I'd suggest downloading it (it is free). FireFox is also very popular on Windows, due to the security problems with IE, so the compatibility is very good.

I don't know if CFB was trying to make a joke about 'right clicking' on a Mac, but you can hold the control key and click - that is the same as a right-click. Or just plug in any USB multi-button mouse, the Mac OS will recognize it - right-click to your hearts content!

-ERD50
Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Now we just have to get windows running on a USB multi button mouse and we're all set!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #20

Thanks ERD--it offends my delicate sensibilities to have to install a second browser(!), but I may resign myself to it. I'm reminded of when I was the Help writer for a software product that ran on UNIX, Windows, and the Mac. I had a computer of each type on my desk and kept clicking mouse buttons that weren't there!

cfb, I know about the right-click equivalent, but I use it seldom and keep forgetting whether it's the apple/propeller key, option key, or control key. That must be why I didn't become a programmer--not so good at remembering arbitrary information, epsecailly these days.