Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just deleted the photos.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
I compare between several sites-Zillow, Redfin, etc. Of all the various ones, I've found Redfin to be the most reliable.
Interesting.

I've been tracking my two homes' values for several years using Zillow, Redfin, and Realtor. Redfin is consistently the outlier. On one home it consistently tracked very low. On the other home it consistently tracked very high.

We sold our primary residence last month. Zillow and Realtor were close to the sale price. Redfin wasn't close at all.

joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I just deleted the photos.

What personal info do they demand to prove its yours?
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You must have a HUGE septic tank!
Well I always heard a house could not have to manny Johns
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Zillow removes "estimates" that were wrong, annealing data to remove inconsistency. I had estimates 30% below offering. Estimates remained $150k below sales price over a year after house sold. Three years later, bogus "estimates" are gone and it shows smooth progression over 16 years from purchase to sale. Algorithmic rose-colored glasses.

I enter data for net worth manually in quicken, tax value less selling costs, each year. After selling, I retroactively add transactions for value change, sweat equity, and direct expenses by year. (quicken report for house spending, hours tracking at $10/hr for sweat). You only know the truth ex post facto.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
What personal info do they demand to prove its yours?
I did it a few weeks ago, and I don't remember all the details, but I do know it was very easy to claim a home... And I think anyone could claim any home. I'm pretty sure I just needed to put in my name and email. I don't recall any detailed info being asked.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #67

The websites use algorithms to estimate value... I would be curious if the discussion would add detail.

Example- in 2017 I paid ~165k for a condo built in 1973. During this thread I checked zillow (worth $198k) and Redfin (worth $187k). I likely should have only paid $130k for the condo- it is very old, very run down- same fixtures and heater as when house was built.

I have since put $11,000 into the HVAC and furnace to replace it.

On redfin I see 3 other condos in my neighborhood estimated above $200k. If someone walked up and offered me $200k for my place I will happily sell and move.

I do have a great location, so based on location maybe the land is worth 200k, I think the structure on the property should be fully depreciated after 46+ years.

I would be curious if the fluctuations others are commenting on can be further categorized (how new is house, how desireable is the location).

For those with steady values, how mature is location (the values listed for me are steady- same thing I saw when I looked 2 weeks and 2 months ago)?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have posted on this before, but it might be interesting to see it on a Zillow thread. The link is to our former home in Falmouth Mass., where we bought and lived from 1967 to 1973.
The current Zillow price estimate just amazes me. We bought for $12,000 and sold for $18,000. To be very frank, the house looks to be in much worse shape than when we bought. Certainly the outside. A short walk to the Sears store where I was the manage, about 3 minutes by car to the beach, and ten minutes to the Ferry to Martha's Vineyard where I had been the store manager since 1960.
With two kids at the time, both, we all spent every spare minute at the beaches.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/72-Oakw...-MA,-02540_rb/
Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since I mentioned Vineyard Haven, (Martha's Vineyard), you might be interested in this home, where we lived for three years in the early '60's, before we moved to Falmouth.

We rented, for $70/month. It was owned by a niece of William Randolph Hearst. If we had the money, we could have bought it for $30,000.

Look at the Zillow price estimate today.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/152-mai...haven-mass_rb/..............

That isn't the best part of this story... Look here to see more about what the house is used for today...
And... if it looks like a nice place to stay for a short vacation, you can rent the whole house for a whole weekfor only $8400.00.

1720 House Bed & Breakfast - Home

enjoy!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Zillow Zestimates tend to drive RE Agents nuts. Some areas they are fairly accurate. I live in an area of 3 bedroom ranch style homes and Zillow is pretty good at picking up the average selling price of these style homes.
Other suburbs that have a 1500 sq ft ranch sitting next to a 5000 sq ft McMansion (Edina MN) Zillow can be way off.
In MN Zillow does pay our MLS for a direct feed so It picks up every listing and sale. The algorithms they use pick up average prices based on sq footage and recent sales. They don't know the condition of the house or whether the house is facing the freeway sound barrier or 8 blocks away.
Zestimates should be used for entertainment purposes only.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accurate for me
Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Accurate for me

Zillow is a very good estimator in my neighborhood, which has a decent amount of recent sales nearby for comps. I have a realtor neighbor who gave me almost exactly the same price as Zillow. It does go up and down, but itís only meant to be a ballpark tool
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

info on algorithms & various estimators online:
UPDATED: Online Home Value Estimates Are NOT Appraisals
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

The best way to know what your home is worth is to pay for a professional appraisal.

meleana is offline   Reply With Quote