Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Actually it was fairly close to the asking price on the house we bought.
Some folks count their house as part of NW even though they don't include it in investment asset calculations.
Woo-hoo! If my house is worth what Zillow says, then I'm sitting pretty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg (79.3 KB, 45 views)
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

California is considering imposing a rather punitive estate tax. A number of other states already have estate taxes with relatively low minimums and high rates. If you live in one of these states, it's a good idea to include your home in your net worth, as your heirs may have to have to pay that tax and you might want to seek a more tax friendly state at some point.

I calculate net worth separately from net investable assets anyway. The house could be leveraged to extract 80 or 90 percent of the value if needed, so it's relevant.

Zillow is now in the "house buying" (equity stealing) business. Here's a real example. Z-estimate is $242k. Offer from Zillow is $223k, based on "comps." Net to seller is $203k. And that's before inspections. I would be extremely reluctant to trust Zillow in any capacity, given this example.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Zillow does not know the actual sales prices of homes in Texas as that is not public information. Their estimates in Texas are all over the map.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Zillow does not know the actual sales prices of homes in Texas as that is not public information. Their estimates in Texas are all over the map.
Same here in Louisiana. I don't think they can get that info from local government easily. From what I can tell, they get averages for zip codes, throw in a few recent sales if they can get those amounts somehow, and do optimal interpolation. It's most obvious in our neighborhood, where older 1500 sf 1965 homes like ours are slowly being replaced by 4000 sf McMansions. Zillow values them all the same, unless one has sold recently.
Zillow, schmillow. You're making it more difficult than necessary
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #25

Zillow, schmillow. You're making it more difficult than necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
I recently signed up at Personal Capital to track spending, net worth, etc., and I linked my home value estimate from Zillow, and my home value estimate is changing daily by swings of up to $50k plus.
Help me out here, because I don't understand. Are you saying you check these data on a daily basis? Do other people do that?

I think there are two reasons this is a bad idea. One, this is a retirement forum, yet you contrive for yourself an extra task each day. A reasonable person might consider this counter to the concept of retirement. Admittedly, I'm a lazy lump whose retirement goal is to REDUCE the number of tasks I have to do each day, so maybe I'm an outlier. But I don't check my PF more than a dozen times a year, and even that's probably too often. Similarly, most days I purchase nothing, so there would be no need to track spending every day.

The second and more important reason is that, unless you have an asset allocation of 0/100, your NW is likely to vary a LOT. Real estate, stocks, gold, pork bellies, artwork, classic cars, bitcoins, etc.; they all bounce around constantly. If you follow your investments too closely, every fluctuation could potentially influence you to react in ways you'll wish you hadn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
I calculate it into my net worth because, well, it's part of my net worth. And we're not living in our forever house, so the equity is something that will be used one day.
Sure, "one day" you'll roll your current equity into your forever house. But if that day isn't imminent, what is the urgency for checking it on a daily basis?

If I simply "do not get it", it wouldn't be the first time, so I'd appreciate if you could explain why you do this.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Why would you care what Zillow thinks? For net worth I use the annual county appraisal but I don't take it too seriously.

When the time comes the market will tell you what the house is worth. Until then why worry about it?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Help me out here, because I don't understand. Are you saying you check these data on a daily basis? Do other people do that?

If I simply "do not get it", it wouldn't be the first time, so I'd appreciate if you could explain why you do this.
I'm retired, I have the time, I enjoy "fiddling" with it, it gives me an excuse not to vacuum, and it brings me comfort. I've only been retired 9 months, so maybe this will fade in time, but for now it's a daily morning thing for me. I can say I've never slipped into a panic when the market has a bad day, nor have I rushed out and bought a yacht when it's on an uphill climb.

And I don't care what PC says my home is worth. I'm paying more attention to our spending and investment performance.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
What I don't like is the pictures of my home when it was for sale 4 years ago. Inside and outside pictures. I really don't want anyone to know what it looks like for defensive purposes. Our community has too many cat burglars out there scouring the internet and Facebook looking for citizens on vacation and especially those with fine homes to burglarize.

We've gone into a defensive mode including installing a new, stronger front door unit, new monitored alarms, beefed up door locks and door jambs. And it doesn't hurt to have a 130 pound Rottweiler living as a house dog.
This shouldn't be happening, Zillow should bring up a pic of the outside of your house with the Zestimate, but only that since your house in not for sale. I'd contact Zillow and complain.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This shouldn't be happening, Zillow should bring up a pic of the outside of your house with the Zestimate, but only that since your house in not for sale. I'd contact Zillow and complain.
Create an account on Zillow.
Claim you house.
Then you control most of the data (including photos).
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #30

The only numbers I care about for my homes are the taxable value and annual property taxes. Since I have no plans to sell or take out any loans the NW factor is moot.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I check home value on:
https://www.redfin.com/
They at least give you recent "solds" in your area and the date of the sale so you can see what they're basing the value on.
I just went on Redfin - actually the first time I had heard of it. The estimate it is giving for my house is ~ $200K over the Zillow estimate.

Live in a rural area with non tract houses, so difficult to estimate value, but not sure where/how redfin came up with their number. If someone offered me what they estimate the house it worth, I would sell in a split second.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

Zillow is quite close on our home, and similar Villas in our CCRC.

I believe, but don't know, that the numbers are based on local government valuations and real estate sales... If that is the case, it's not a matter of individuals walking up and down the streets of town guessing what the value of a house is. So... tax value, recorded sales, economic considerations... locally recorded sales and general economic conditions (housing market).

So... gross numbers... not individual, so if you had hardwood floors, a new roof, a recently refinished basement, or a major upgrade, your valuation may not have changed. In effect, it's a mechanically produced estimate, based on publicly available statistics.

And... a still small voice that says that net worth DOES include the value of your house, that $8,000 diamond ring, the $45,000 Mercedes, and the house on the lake. My Stradivarius won't count 'cuz I giving it to my granddaughter, so she can see what it's like taking violin lessons for three or four years.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastnortheast View Post
I just went on Redfin - actually the first time I had heard of it. The estimate it is giving for my house is ~ $200K over the Zillow estimate.
In my case, I just checked Redfin, and it says my house is worth 126% of what I paid for it less than 4 years ago.

Zillow: My home is worth 142% of what I paid for it in June, 2015
Realtor.c0m: My home is worth 139% of what I paid for it in June, 2015
Trulia.c0m: My home is worth 129% of what I paid for it in June, 2015
Redfin: My home is worth 126% of what I paid for it in June, 2015

So, in my case, Redfin is the lowest so far. Apparently all of these websites are having a hard time figuring out what my house is worth.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #34

For those using USAA, I find their home value estimates to be very good. Conservative and pretty much in line with what I would estimate myself. I'm not really interested, but it shows up whenever I log on because my home insurance is with them, as well as a bank account. I'm mildly surprised they don't add another section for what our cars are worth!
Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In my case, I just checked Redfin, and it says my house is worth 126% of what I paid for it less than 4 years ago.

Zillow: My home is worth 142% of what I paid for it in June, 2015
Realtor.c0m: My home is worth 139% of what I paid for it in June, 2015
Trulia.c0m: My home is worth 129% of what I paid for it in June, 2015
Redfin: My home is worth 126% of what I paid for it in June, 2015

So, in my case, Redfin is the lowest so far. Apparently all of these websites are having a hard time figuring out what my house is worth.
The most important takeaway is that it's worth MORE! In fact, it's probably at an all time high! Whee!!!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The most important takeaway is that it's worth MORE! In fact, it's probably at an all time high! Whee!!!
I know! I shouldn't be so skeptical and should be utterly thrilled!!!
Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #37

Zillow has "the number" then below that has a range that they estimate. Zillow also doesn't take into account special items you may have improved the home with. Like special landscaping, paver patios, built in BBQ, the Viking range in the kitchen, etc.

That said it was close on our home sale 3 years ago. That home is plus $100k now, so I try not to look
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Zillow has "the number" then below that has a range that they estimate. Zillow also doesn't take into account special items you may have improved the home with. Like special landscaping, paver patios, built in BBQ, the Viking range in the kitchen, etc.
In all but a few areas, it also doesn't take into account the really "special" stuff like square footage, bedrooms, or bathrooms. (see below, from the Zillow listing of my house; the same is true for nearly every other house around here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
That said it was close on our home sale 3 years ago. That home is plus $100k now, so I try not to look
Hey, that is great! It's nice to see your property going up, especially if it tends to be realistic in your area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (10.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

I think there are two reasons this is a bad idea. One, this is a retirement forum, yet you contrive for yourself an extra task each day. A reasonable person might consider this counter to the concept of retirement. Admittedly, I'm a lazy lump whose retirement goal is to REDUCE the number of tasks I have to do each day, so maybe I'm an outlier. But I don't check my PF more than a dozen times a year, and even that's probably too often. Similarly, most days I purchase nothing, so there would be no need to track spending every day.

The second and more important reason is that, unless you have an asset allocation of 0/100, your NW is likely to vary a LOT. Real estate, stocks, gold, pork bellies, artwork, classic cars, bitcoins, etc.; they all bounce around constantly. If you follow your investments too closely, every fluctuation could potentially influence you to react in ways you'll wish you hadn't.

Sure, "one day" you'll roll your current equity into your forever house. But if that day isn't imminent, what is the urgency for checking it on a daily basis?

No, I don't. But this thread did make me look!

The Zillow photo of my house is very funny. I wish I knew how to post it. All you see is a tree.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Zillow is pretty close for me. Mine is within 20 grand of a comp (that sold) just down the street.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote