Zvi Bodie on funding your retirement

I think his video was worth watching.

He does a good job describing the issues.

I just rolled over a GIC (CD in the US) and was delighted to be offered a 5 year fixed rate of 2.9%. That's about 1.3% over the advertised rate. So I threw an extra $50K into it.

To paraphrase Sally Field:
My bank likes me.....they really really like me! :dance:

Zvi Bodie's "Worry Free Investing" and passion for TIPS were hatched in times when TIPS paid a nice real yield. Nowadays, they have a negative yield, so you are guaranteed to lose money buying some of the different maturities.

Zvi Bodie's "Worry Free Investing" and passion for TIPS were hatched in times when TIPS paid a nice real yield. Nowadays, they have a negative yield, so you are guaranteed to lose money buying some of the different maturities.

Yeah, I heard about his books several years back and read the "Worry Free..." book. His approach appealed, but even by then it was too late to get into the good TIPS that had been available at one time.

I also wish I had purchased more I Bonds back when they actually paid interest!

A day late and a dollar short, I suppose.:(

Can someone give a summary of the talk? I've tried several times to download it without success.

Can someone give a summary of the talk? I've tried several times to download it without success.
That's easy: "Buy TIPS and keep working until you have enough TIPS to retire."

That is it!

I watched it online. Did not try to download it.
Forcing people to stream video over a dial-up connection has been declared unconstitutional: cruel and unusual punishment. I assume that at an over an hour, the video was too big to fit in the buffer on my computer (i.e. wherever videos go when you don't try to watch them in realtime).

A dial-up connection? Wow! No wonder you have problems.
Actually, streaming video is about the only thing I do have problems with. Anything I can download onto my hard disk before listening, watching, or installing works just fine. The download may take a long time, but I just leave it going in the background overnight or while I'm at w@rk or attending to other things, so that doesn't bother me.

I haven't switched to broadband because I don't know if I can get it where I'm planning to move when I retire, and I didn't know if I'd be able to stand going back to dial-up if I upgraded before I retire. (How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen 3-G?) A week ago yesterday I took the first of what will probably be many drives down there to look at properties. When I have a definite location I'll be able to check for broadband availability, and if I can get it down there maybe I'll upgrade. The local phone company is having a promotional five-year rate on (I think) DSL for the same monthly charge I pay for dial-up now. It's mighty tempting....

. The local phone company is having a promotional five-year rate on (I think) DSL for the same monthly charge I pay for dial-up now. It's mighty tempting....

DSL or some other broad band, I think falls into the life is too short to do without.:D YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom