Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Flyfish,

Good stuff! I too have been er for a month and it still feels like a vacation (but I was away for a week in Europe) and I still need to learn to relax more and not feel guilty for not being engaged all day.

Nice pics...what kind of boat is that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am now going into my third month of ER. I spent most of the past two months de-cluttering, reading four books, swimming frequently, visiting family and attending birthday parties, and doing "not much." De-cluttering was one of the first things I had planned to do. I have now gone through every room of the house, cleaned every nook and cranny, rearranged the furniture to provide a new living environment, located objects I had been looking for for ages (a remote control, a small plastic microphone for my John Lennon model, a power cord for an old VCR, etc.), donated about five boxes of "stuff" to Goodwill, went through my files and gathered a boxful of documents I shredded--especially decade-old w**k-related docs, went through about 60 floppies that I uploaded what I wanted to save to a thumb drive instead, and then shredded all these old floppies, organized old audio cassettes and video tapes, scrubbed out every inch of the fridge, freezer and oven. I also broke out some old Silver Age comic books and sat in the sun at public locations to read and "people watch." Stuff like that.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Not being a fisherman myself, I'm curious about the 2nd photo. Is that some kind of flotation devise?
That is a float tube. Here's a better picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If that's snow I see in the background, then maybe those big balls are the propane fuel tanks for the water heater...
Yes, that is snow. Lots of it left up in the Sierras. Some won't melt this year. It's not that cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
FFN,
Thanks for the great post. I'm glad to see the first month agrees with you. It also provides encouragement for those of us that are still aspiring to FIRE. Hope you will keep posting your experiences.
Enjoy!
Feel free to visit my blog. Just Google "Fly Fish Nevada". Hope that doesn't violate the rules I don't get any money, just for fun. I post pictures and stories from every fishing trip. Here's my latest picture:

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:39 AM   #24

The fish really are cool looking.
Looks like fun.
I just recently gave a guy some peacock feathers.
He wanted to try to make some kind of fly out of them.
He said he had always wanted to create something from peafowl feathers with all the colors. Not sure if it will really help but it seemed to make him happy to have them for his project. Probably look cool in his tackle or hooked to his hat.

I can't imagine a fish really caring one way or another.
I'm not even sure if they can see colors? Probably not the spectrums in the peafowl feathers anyway.
Steve
Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

These are my favorite kind of posts, that reassure me retiring early is the right thing to do!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #26

Glad to see you are enjoying your retirement. I'm almost 8 months into retirement now, and it's been everything I knew it would be. For the first month or so, I mostly kept busy with long put-off house projects that I could do myself, since it was January, and I wanted to get them out of the way before nicer weather arrived. That worked out well, because I was waking up at my usual (early) work time anyway, and I just used the time to work around the house most days. We took a 2-week break in February and went down to the Fla. panhandle for relaxation and some fishing and sightseeing. After that, we came home and I hired out a couple other home-improvement jobs I did not want to tackle myself. Got those completed by around April, and then the real fun began. We've had a very busy spring summer......lots more time than ever before for things like gardening, boating, fishing, spending time at our lake cottage, a little more traveling around the Midwest, music concerts, hanging out with friends, cooking, food preservation, making wine, several volunteer activities, etc, etc.. We've had a great summer, and it's not over yet. I'm in better physical shape than I was a year ago (I walk more, eat better, get more restful sleep, and my BP is lower). I honestly cannot imagine going back to work at this point.....my life is so much richer now.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Glad to see you are enjoying your retirement. I'm almost 8 months into retirement now, and it's been everything I knew it would be. For the first month or so, I mostly kept busy with long put-off house projects that I could do myself, since it was January, and I wanted to get them out of the way before nicer weather arrived. That worked out well, because I was waking up at my usual (early) work time anyway, and I just used the time to work around the house most days. We took a 2-week break in February and went down to the Fla. panhandle for relaxation and some fishing and sightseeing. After that, we came home and I hired out a couple other home-improvement jobs I did not want to tackle myself. Got those completed by around April, and then the real fun began. We've had a very busy spring summer......lots more time than ever before for things like gardening, boating, fishing, spending time at our lake cottage, a little more traveling around the Midwest, music concerts, hanging out with friends, cooking, food preservation, making wine, several volunteer activities, etc, etc.. We've had a great summer, and it's not over yet. I'm in better physical shape than I was a year ago (I walk more, eat better, get more restful sleep, and my BP is lower). I honestly cannot imagine going back to work at this point.....my life is so much richer now.
Glad to know it just keeps getting better. My birthday was Sunday and I used to make a big deal out of it. Took the day off work, lounged in the pool and drank beer, watched a favorite movie while finishing off a special bottle of wine and then dipped into a bottle of scotch. This year, I just wasn't motivated to do all that. I had fun, but I finally figured out it was because I can do that stuff, and more, everyday know. I don't have to cram all the fun stuff into a day here or a week there. It was a neat feeling.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote