Join Early Retirement Today

1 Month Update
Old 07-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

1 Month Update

A couple of people asked me to give a little update on my ER when I posted that I had ER'd a month ago. I also like reading about other peoples experiences, so here goes.

It has been just over 4 weeks, one month exactly. Whew, what a month. I have been fishing every week so far. I don't feel like I am getting enough fishing in, so I am going to start going twice a week. I am getting to spend a lot of time with my boys, Henry (14) and Owen (12). We have been fishing twice, golfing once, seen a couple of movies and spent a lot of time out in the Wal-Mart pool. We leave for a four day fishing trip on Aug 2nd.

I have also been practicing the guitar a lot, especially over the last couple weeks and have learned the solo to AC/DC's Highway to Hell. A few little fill riffs and I will be able to play the whole song. Cool.

I have also been doing a lot of projects around the house. I sold a bunch of stuff in the seemingly never ending process of downsizing. I bought a new writing/fly tying desk. It is in my media room with a view of the not to distant Sweetwater Mountains. Here I will begin writing my planned book soon, cruise this forum (and many others), surf the net, tie some flies and lots of other things.

I am slowly taking over some of the household chores: cooking dinner, shopping, paying bills. My DW used to do all that and work part time while I worked and commuted 2 hours. Now she gets a break. When the kids go back to school, we will take advantage to go out for breakfast or lunch, go hiking or see a movie.

Finally, I still have that feeling this is all temporary like I am on vacation. It isn't bad, but its there like work is always a few days off. Not enough to produce the dreads, but enough to catch my attention. I got rid of some of the other worries. I got my first pension check, withdrew my investments and paid off my cars, and tied up a few other loose ends. I no longer feel like this is all a dream and someone will call and tell me its all been a mistake. We have been busy (DW and kids at camp, DW's has an unusually busy time with her job, etc.) this month with various things, so life would have been a little jumbled anyway, but my ER just adds another layer. I think once school starts and we are all on a schedule, things will settle down.

I love it and my DW is looking forward to the day she can join me. Thanks to everyone on here for you advice and support. If you are not FIRE, I recommend it.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Great post ffn! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Please update us again. I especially enjoy reading this post and the ones from other ER'ers. It's great for me to live vicariously through your experience--fantasizing about having all that free time just for fun and for leisurely doing household chores tying up loose ends and such. Thank you for the update.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Administrator

Thanks for the post Flyfish

Great to hear that you are already settling down to the rigors or retirement. I expect your family are loving having you around.

Like you my ESR DW did all the housework this last 6 years but she RE'd this year also and enjoys the extra time plus we split the housework 50/50. (well, maybe 55/45 as she does the washing and I do the ironing and there is a lot LESS ironing in retirement than before )
Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...she does the washing and I do the ironing and there is a lot LESS ironing in retirement than before )
Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants.

Ironing? You wear clothes that need ironing? And I thought you were retired. Bet you still wear a watch, too.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants.

Ironing? You wear clothes that need ironing? And I thought you were retired. Bet you still wear a watch, too.
SHE wears clothes that still need ironing, but a lot less than when she was working

Rarely wear pants these days and I certainly don't wear a watch - it's great!!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, bliss! I'm enjoying this vicariously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Finally, I still have that feeling this is all temporary like I am on vacation. It isn't bad, but its there like work is always a few days off. Not enough to produce the dreads, but enough to catch my attention.
Last week I had dinner with friends (a couple) who have both recently ER'd from management positions. I noticed that their plates were clean while mine was still half full. I pointed out that there was no hurry to get back to work! Clearly they are in the adjustment phase, as you are too.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am four months in, and I've spent all my time doing the two things I never had enough time for in my w*rking life: overseas travel and bass fishing.

Quote:
Finally, I still have that feeling this is all temporary like I am on vacation.
Same for me. It still feels like the the coach will become a pumpkin at midnight, and I'll wake up to find myself at some lousy Monday-morning meeting. Intellectually I know I won't, but I haven't been able to convince my gut yet.

Quote:
If you are not FIRE, I recommend it.
That's the understatement of the year! For me, the world is, at last, delicious again.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been fishing every week so far. I don't feel like I am getting enough fishing in, so I am going to start going twice a week.
This will say more about me than you. I tried river fishing - I wouldn't call it fly fishing. I didn't get it - through in a hook, catch a fish, put it back.

What Myers-Briggs personality is a fly fisherman?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, so Alan rarely wears pants

Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Do you wear the little school boy outfit like Angus Young when playing the song?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
OK, so Alan rarely wears pants

If I looked like Tom Cruise maybe I would dress like that often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Do you wear the little school boy outfit like Angus Young when playing the song?

Yep - that's my style

PS - I'm in Exeter England at present and we're off to hire bikes for a cycle down the river, so I'm wearing shorts today for sure (school boy style of course).
Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
I expect your family are loving having you around
My wife, yes. She says that I am happier now. Funny how you become stressed out and unhappy and barely realize it.

My boys, yes and no. They get to hang out with me more, but they are subjected to a little more discipline (more chores, less backtalk) than they are used to on a regular basis. Good for them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
I live in t-shirts and athletic or cargo shorts. Sometimes just swim trunks. I guess I technically don't wear pants either. I bought a watch for retirment. I need one when fishing so I know when I need to go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
That's the understatement of the year! For me, the world is, at last, delicious again.
Exactly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
This will say more about me than you. I tried river fishing - I wouldn't call it fly fishing. I didn't get it - through in a hook, catch a fish, put it back.

What Myers-Briggs personality is a fly fisherman?
Your Type is
INTJ
Strength of the preferences %
Introverted 78
Intuitive
Thinking
Judging 22

Honestly, fly fishing is maybe 25% about catching fish. It's more the challenge of learning the techniques, the thrill of having an adventure outdoors and the tranquility of focusing on the task at hand.

Plus, fish, especially trout, are cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
It's on order

Old 08-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Plus, fish, especially trout, are cool!
This is one of the more passed around videos on U-tube amongst fly fishermen. You've likely already seen it. If not, enjoy.

Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
This is one of the more passed around videos on U-tube amongst fly fishermen. You've likely already seen it. If not, enjoy.

Nice clip. Reminded me of a trip one of my nephew's took my brother and myself on a few years ago in Colorado while visiting him. Didn't catch anything, didn't hear any music playing, but pretty scenery as in the video. Mosquitoes ate my a$$ up though. But good memories.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #16

Never seen that. Kind of cool.

Dawg, I always bring a string quartet along with me to provide background music when I fish, don't you?

By the way, in a previous thread, I posted a picture of John Gierach, fly fishing author, as an example of what I would look like in retirement:

This is what I really look like:

Old 08-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #17
Administrator

cool photos - thanks for posting
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Great pictures! You look the the kinda guy who should be in the great outdoors instead of trapped in a cubicle chained to a computer.

Not being a fisherman myself, I'm curious about the 2nd photo. Is that some kind of flotation devise?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Not being a fisherman myself, I'm curious about the 2nd photo. Is that some kind of flotation devise?
If that's snow I see in the background, then maybe those big balls are the propane fuel tanks for the water heater...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

FFN,
Thanks for the great post. I'm glad to see the first month agrees with you. It also provides encouragement for those of us that are still aspiring to FIRE. Hope you will keep posting your experiences.
Enjoy!
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote