Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
Get an old Jag-U-ar, you'll always have something to do...

(66 E-Type)
How about a worn out and rusty 45 year old VW Beetle? (they are easier to find)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
From some of the stories of "forced" retirement, I'm not sure which is better - to leave when you can't stand it any more or wake up one morning and find you no longer have a j*b. Assuming all else is equal (financial ducks in a row in either scenario) I would think it better to be "downsized" as you get parting "gifts." After I got fed up and retired, my Megacorp downsized 18 months or so later and I missed it. I wouldn't have traded the 18 months of freedom for the "gifts" the other folks got, but if wishes were horses, I wish that the day I got fed up, Megacorp would have downsized me. Hows THAT for a FIRE fantasy? YMMV

Koolau, I couldn't agree more!! Oh well!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

So far, after 1.5 months of ER no issues at all with me. However, DH has his moments and his adjustment period is taking more time.

I had many plans in place to get the house ready to sell when we retired. All the plans are on hold until next year when we decide where to move. No hurry, no worries as the structured plans and stress melted away.

Pros---

Sleep so much deeper
Able to plan small mini trips for activities (Plans booked through November)
Cycling and hiking in the woods (found a local 6 mile trail in the woods)
Started back trail running
Exercising 5-6 days a week
Cooking and eating more healthy at home
Camping during the week when most people work (great campsites)
Paid health insurance premium through December (while working) so no money worries this year
No longer feel stress from dealing with job
No longer have to deal with corporate BS and people
No longer deal with structure
Having fun and enjoying life

Cons--

Cannot keep up with the day of the week (everyday is a weekend) That might go under the Pros.
Miss the great people from work.
Wish we had the money to retire 10 years ago when we were younger.

I tried to find more Cons but could not think of any. Life is good.

littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
So far, after 1.5 months of ER no issues at all with me. However, DH has his moments and his adjustment period is taking more time.

I had many plans in place to get the house ready to sell when we retired. All the plans are on hold until next year when we decide where to move. No hurry, no worries as the structured plans and stress melted away.

Pros---

Sleep so much deeper
Able to plan small mini trips for activities (Plans booked through November)
Cycling and hiking in the woods (found a local 6 mile trail in the woods)
Started back trail running
Exercising 5-6 days a week
Cooking and eating more healthy at home
Camping during the week when most people work (great campsites)
Paid health insurance premium through December (while working) so no money worries this year
No longer feel stress from dealing with job
No longer have to deal with corporate BS and people
No longer deal with structure
Having fun and enjoying life

Cons--

Cannot keep up with the day of the week (everyday is a weekend) That might go under the Pros.
Miss the great people from work.
Wish we had the money to retire 10 years ago when we were younger.

I tried to find more Cons but could not think of any. Life is good.

This is a great list! I keep my Garmin (fitbit) on to remind me what the date is when I need to know. And just to keep on track I will say it out loud. Today is Friday, August 11 and I woke up in beautiful Breckenridge, CO.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
This is a great list! I keep my Garmin (fitbit) on to remind me what the date is when I need to know. And just to keep on track I will say it out loud. Today is Friday, August 11 and I woke up in beautiful Breckenridge, CO.
OP here. +1. I do lose track of days which is not a bad thing. By far my favorite day of the week is Monday. This should be on the surprise list. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #66

Been 11 years for me. Transition was a little rocky especially during the financial crises. But things always seem to have a way of working out for the best, Hardly think of work at all anymore. Never bored. Best thing is freedom and control along with getting healthier with more sleep and exercise.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same here. It has been five years. Seems like such a very long time ago. I seldom think about it and very infrequently hear from former colleagues. But, my transition was welcome and it was long awaited. I was not taken by surpirse and we had tentative plans in place.

There was on one thing that surprised me with some of my colleagues. Our firm, our industry had gone through 20 years of downsizing, contracting out, offshoring. We had all been involved personally in laying off, transitioning, whatever you choose to call it managers senior individual contributors.

Yet when a few of them were laid off it seem to came as such a big surprise to them. . It was a thought they thought themselves immune because of their respective management positions. I thought that this was very strange. They often retained a great deal of bitterness and I suspect this hindered them in their subsequent career searches.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Been 11 years for me. Transition was a little rocky especially during the financial crises. But things always seem to have a way of working out for the best, Hardly think of work at all anymore. Never bored. Best thing is freedom and control along with getting healthier with more sleep and exercise.
Going to the gym at 1pm vs 5:30pm is definitely a different crowd. A few months into ER one guy looks up and says "did you retire or something?" Ha. Turns out he also had recently been downsized.

It might take another year before I feel OK with saying "I'm retired".
Old 08-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Same here. It has been five years. Seems like such a very long time ago. I seldom think about it and very infrequently hear from former colleagues. But, my transition was welcome and it was long awaited. I was not taken by surpirse and we had tentative plans in place.

There was on one thing that surprised me with some of my colleagues. Our firm, our industry had gone through 20 years of downsizing, contracting out, offshoring. We had all been involved personally in laying off, transitioning, whatever you choose to call it managers senior individual contributors.

Yet when a few of them were laid off it seem to came as such a big surprise to them. . It was a thought they thought themselves immune because of their respective management positions. I thought that this was very strange. They often retained a great deal of bitterness and I suspect this hindered them in their subsequent career searches.
OP here. I was raised in a family where my dad had worked at the same aerospace Megacorp as an engineer for 33 years. Secretly I wanted to match his time and retire on my own terms.

So call me loyal to a fault. If I had two years to plan for it yes maybe getting laid off would be easier. But never have been a getting notice prior, it was still surprising and also a bit embarrassing. It's a bit hard to describe unless you go through it yourself. Cheers.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
Good points. I'm a muscle car enthusiast and have been restoring a 1972 Nova. It's a driver not a show car but fun to cruise in. I've considered getting lift in my garage and making room for one more project (or selling the Nova).

Attachment 26548
I like your car. That can certainly give you a way to meet others and work on something you enjoy. What engine/transmission do you have? I still to this day miss my 67 SS396 Chevelle that I owned as a teen.

I took an early retirement package when I was 54, and only had about 30 days to accept or not. My former mega corp went thru a merger of equals 3 years earlier and the atmosphere turned toxic, so the decision to retire was easy for me. However, I was not mentally prepared to be retired and found I missed the work life so went back to work for another company. I think knowing how you want to spend your time is very important, especially when you make a change without much time to contemplate your new found freedom.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
Going to the gym at 1pm vs 5:30pm is definitely a different crowd. A few months into ER one guy looks up and says "did you retire or something?" Ha. Turns out he also had recently been downsized.

It might take another year before I feel OK with saying "I'm retired".
For sure. I like doing my workouts in the late morning. My goal is 25 per month but usually get around 22-23. At my last physical, doc told me my fitness level
( evidenced by VO2 capacity) was off the charts for a guy my age. This has been a huge benefit of retirement.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Is it a squirrel gun? Instead of buying the tomato cages like everybody else I stuck an old trellis in the grow box, providing the squirrel with a nice sturdy ladder to get ALL the tomatoes. My grandfather was a farmer! I am a disgrace to his name.

Wait ... next year, MA will have it's pot regulations in place and I can plant pot.

OP, as you can tell from this thread, there is a new world awaiting you where you have the time to spend on completely frivolous summertime activities. You should see my tan.

Please post next year and let us now how the squirrel behaves after he eats the pot garden
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I like your car. That can certainly give you a way to meet others and work on something you enjoy. What engine/transmission do you have? I still to this day miss my 67 SS396 Chevelle that I owned as a teen.

I took an early retirement package when I was 54, and only had about 30 days to accept or not. My former mega corp went thru a merger of equals 3 years earlier and the atmosphere turned toxic, so the decision to retire was easy for me. However, I was not mentally prepared to be retired and found I missed the work life so went back to work for another company. I think knowing how you want to spend your time is very important, especially when you make a change without much time to contemplate your new found freedom.
OP here. There were two years towards the end of my career that were pretty toxic as well. I switched positions but it was too late to fix the "performance review" from a manager 1700 miles away.

On the car thing I've had the Nova since 1989. It was a gig rig so to speak and I paid $600 for it. This is a 350/350 car that I've done some bolt on stuff too. It's not a show car or a race car but does pretty well in melting the tires if one desires (hey that rhymes).
Old 08-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
For sure. I like doing my workouts in the late morning. My goal is 25 per month but usually get around 22-23. At my last physical, doc told me my fitness level
( evidenced by VO2 capacity) was off the charts for a guy my age. This has been a huge benefit of retirement.
Working out is very important to me and yes I'm on average about 6 days a week. Yoga is something I want to get back into but for some reason can't find the time. Ha.