Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fire ants got him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just returned to Denver from a week or so in the Texas Hill Country, including three days in San Antonio. I was plenty impressed with the area... beautiful scenery with 75 days and 60 nights. (It is mid-March year round, right?) The week before we spend along the Border from Laredo to Freeport. That was pretty nice also (say Padre Island)... except for the massive numbers of ICE officers.

Don't plan on giving up Denver any time in the forseeable future, however.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here is a bit of evidence to the contrary:

Playaman moved here last year. Prior to this Sept. 2008 post regarding his relocation to San Antonio, he'd posted 163 times. Since that post announcing his new location, he's only manged five more messages. Coincidence? I don't think so...
Sounds like he's into the B A C O N!

I’m afraid to compare, but with rent control, no need for a car, cheap transit, lots of free or low-cost entertainment, low utility expenses due to mild climate, it seems cheap enough where I’m at, in a so-called expensive city. I’m looking at my expenses to come in at 3.5 % instead of 4%. Sure sales tax just went up to 9.1% but I don’t need to buy much of anything, income taxes should be zero this year due to gleeful retirement.

Edit: oops, that sales tax is 9.5%, never underestimate the state of Calif.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Don't plan on giving up Denver any time in the forseeable future, however.
I just love places with four seasons. Especially when they occur on the same day.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I just love places with four seasons. Especially when they occur on the same day.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. The two I know are San Antonio and South Bend. San Antonio has an incredibly low cost of living and plenty to offer, but you'd better be prepared for serious hot weather and not just during the official Summer months. South Bend would be great if you're a Notre Dame alum/fan and cost of living is low (but not as cheap as San Antonio). But if you're not, it's another run down post-industrial town with bitterly cold winters and plenty of snow. Chicago is a little too far to be accessible, although Lake Michigan is close (and wonderful IMO). But I can't imagine wanting to live there, and I live within 90 miles of there now.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #27

None of these would likely work for me. I'm very picky. I won't detail my objections. Don't want to insult anyone who lives in these fine towns. But South Bend, Indiana? I guess if you were a Notre Dame alumnus, you might think you'd gone to heaven. I don't know what critieria they were using for this list.

Why didn't they just add Joplin, MO? Trucking and religion are the main industries, so there's probably never going to be a recession there. And you can get a charming vintage home in the best part of town (which overlooks the sewage treatment facility) for around $75k.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
None of these would likely work for me. I'm very picky. I won't detail my objections. .
I agree with you and CuppaJoe.

I think I'll stick with my much-less-affordable location!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Definitely regarding Roswell.
Can't you meet a lot of interesting 'people' in Roswell.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Can't you meet a lot of interesting 'people' in Roswell.
Yeah, and if you ever need a colonoscopy, you can get free probes.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Yeah, and if you ever need a colonoscopy, you can get free probes.

Hey that is discount health care at its finest. Think Ill skip Roswell on my trip out east.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #32

Affordable place to retire

I live in a county adjacent to Pittsburgh. It is great! Lovely in the summer, great hospitals and universities, world class symphony, museums, theater, skiing in winter. Very affordable housing. However....I think I will be retiring in California despite all the economic problems in the state(at least at the present time). I can't get the Monterey Peninsula out of my mind. COL be damned! It is perfect there.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I live in a county adjacent to Pittsburgh. It is great! Lovely in the summer, great hospitals and universities, world class symphony, museums, theater, skiing in winter. Very affordable housing. However....I think I will be retiring in California despite all the economic problems in the state(at least at the present time). I can't get the Monterey Peninsula out of my mind. COL be damned! It is perfect there.
Yeah it is great. Just all depends where you want to spend your bucks.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #34

Motto: Never live north of the signs that read "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROADWAY".
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, WhoDaresWins. But have you been warned about Northern Calif.'s fog, sharks, fire ants....

When will you be retiring?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #36

retirement places, affordable and otherwise

I hope to retire in 4 or 5 years, thank you for asking. I lived in Monterey for 5 years in the late 80's and early 90's. I do recall the fog, never went in the water(too cold), and don't recall the fire ants. Have been back a couple of times to visit friends. I did neglect to mention our high taxes in Pennsylvania (mentioned by a previous contributor and she is correct).
Pittsburgh (Allegheny Co.) has high taxes indeed, and ours are not far behind. And she is also correct about the utilities and the roads. We are all battening the hatches here in preparation for another summer of detours and traffic jams due to road closures to fix the potholes and expand the number of lanes feeding through the perpetual bottleneck of tunnels and bridges into the city. However, our economy here is pretty good. We haven't had the big peaks and valleys of other areas, and unemployment in our county is well below the national average. This winter was pretty cold at times but we did not have a lot of snow.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...and don't recall the fire ants....
Just kidding, I may be the only one who often confuses Calif. with Texas. Glad to meet you, WhoDaresWins.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retirement site??

South Bend?? Are you guys kidding?? Affordable it is, but, aside from beautiful Notre Dame, there is nothing there to attract retirees -- and I can say that because I was born and raised there!! It is flat and unattractive, weather is hot and humid/cold and very snowy. It does, however, have lots of shopping if you love big box stores!! Lots of small lakes in surrounding areas, but really, not a place to retire!!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
South Bend?? Are you guys kidding?? Affordable it is, but, aside from beautiful Notre Dame, there is nothing there to attract retirees -- and I can say that because I was born and raised there!! It is flat and unattractive, weather is hot and humid/cold and very snowy. It does, however, have lots of shopping if you love big box stores!! Lots of small lakes in surrounding areas, but really, not a place to retire!!
Can't be much worse than Dayton Ohio.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Can't be much worse than Dayton Ohio.
You guys must work for the Chamber of Commerce.

ha