10 affordable places to retire

Chattanooga wouldn't be bad. Some pretty scenery there.
2332137-See_7_states_from_top_of_Lookout_Mtn-Chattanooga.jpg

Chattanooga.jpg
2183053-Chattanooga_from_Lookout_Mountain_Battlefield-Chattanooga.jpg

I thought of Orchidflower when I read this article. :) I know she will be interested.

Here's an interesting exerpt from the article:

"There's two factors that account for most of the difference in cost of living between two areas: housing and taxes, and housing more than taxes," says David Savageau, author of Retirement Places Rated.

Housing more than taxes? Hmmm!! That's quite a broad statement and though it may be true generally, I'd do my own comparisons in Excel before accepting it as gospel for any two given cities.

I can speak for San Antonio, having lived there several years in my youth, gotten married, attended college, and entered Air Force basic training. Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Housing is very affordable, if you know which neighborhoods to pick and which to avoid. Fairly close to Mexico, pretty warm winters, hot summers. Decent cultural activities, including music and art along the riverwalk. Good universities to take classes or attend lectures. No state tax. Good tex mex food. Some good sized lakes close by. Lots of good hospitals. But too far from the ocean for my taste, and a little buggy and snakey.

South of Chattanooga - Centre, Fort Payne, Gaylesville, Alabama area - aka Weiss Lake The Crappie Capital of The World - moved her to good old Missouri - which she calls misery - still hasn't got used to snow/slush in the spring.

:cool:

The burbs outside Kansas City are still just ducky with me - especially after dumps like Seattle, Denver and New Orleans.

A little tongue in cheek humor - where ya is where ya at!

heh heh heh - :cool:

South of Chattanooga - Centre, Fort Payne, Gaylesville, Alabama area - aka Weiss Lake The Crappie Capital of The World - moved her to good old Missouri - which she calls misery - still hasn't got used to snow/slush in the spring.

:cool:

The burbs outside Kansas City are still just ducky with me - especially after dumps like Seattle, Denver and New Orleans.

A little tongue in cheek humor - where ya is where ya at!

heh heh heh - :cool:

Hey, you're not far off! ;) Loved this city but so much ain' dere no mo'. And it sure isn't on any affordability lists lately.

I'm amazed, no, make that astounded, that Binghamton NY made that list. NY taxes across the board are awful. Energy costs are high and usually a monopoly wrt providers. I'm outta here as soon as dh2b retires in 10 years. :greetings10:

Here they are, from U.S. News and World Report:

-- Binghamton, N.Y.
-- Chattanooga, Tenn.
-- Cocoa, Fla.
-- Eau Claire, Wis.
-- Montgomery, Ala.
-- Omaha
-- Pittsburgh
-- Roswell, N.M.
-- San Antonio
-- South Bend, Ind.

I'm surprised Detroit didn't make the list. :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-reti...laces-to-Retire?mod=fidelity-livingretirement

Not sure why Eau Claire made the list, La Crosse is a much prettier area. Plus, the propoerty taxes in Wisconsin will put a crimp in your SWR......:nonono:

Not sure why Pittsburgh made the list either - I used to live there and while I actually loved the City - the taxes rotted. Health care and housing were reasonable but utilities, roads, and that pesky winter thing were not all that fab. I seem to remember something about a fairly hefty wage tax as well.

Omaha? Montgomery? San Antonio? Roswell?

Obvious the folks who write these articles focused on the stats and haven't lived in these places...

Omaha? Montgomery? San Antonio? Roswell?

Obvious the folks who write these articles focused on the stats and haven't lived in these places...

Definitely regarding Roswell. But Wahoo, wouldn't you give a pretty good recommendation for San Antonio, as long as a person were not unduly heat sensitive?

Ha

Nope. Do I need to remind you of the state?

LOL! Maybe you are right, you've logged a lot more time down there than I ever have.

Or maybe you're just trying to keep a secret? :)

ha

Ah San Antonio. My first time with a fire ant. They say you never forget your 1st time. :smitten:

Or maybe you're just trying to keep a secret? :)
Here is a bit of evidence to the contrary:

Playaman moved here last year. Prior to this Sept. 2008 post regarding his relocation to San Antonio, he'd posted 163 times. Since that post announcing his new location, he's only manged five more messages. Coincidence? I don't think so...

Could Playaman be disappointed by the dearth of playas in San Antonio?

I just returned to Denver from a week or so in the Texas Hill Country, including three days in San Antonio. I was plenty impressed with the area... beautiful scenery with 75º days and 60º nights. (It is mid-March year round, right?) The week before we spend along the Border from Laredo to Freeport. That was pretty nice also (say Padre Island)... except for the massive numbers of ICE officers.

Don't plan on giving up Denver any time in the forseeable future, however.

Here is a bit of evidence to the contrary:

Playaman moved here last year. Prior to this Sept. 2008 post regarding his relocation to San Antonio, he'd posted 163 times. Since that post announcing his new location, he's only manged five more messages. Coincidence? I don't think so...

Sounds like he's into the B A C O N!

I’m afraid to compare, but with rent control, no need for a car, cheap transit, lots of free or low-cost entertainment, low utility expenses due to mild climate, it seems cheap enough where I’m at, in a so-called expensive city. I’m looking at my expenses to come in at 3.5 % instead of 4%. Sure sales tax just went up to 9.1% but I don’t need to buy much of anything, income taxes should be zero this year due to gleeful retirement.:D

Edit: oops, that sales tax is 9.5%, never underestimate the state of Calif.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom