Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

10 minutes drive or not
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

10 minutes drive or not

This question is for retired folks.

For one hour of daily walk, you can do it in the community or drive 10 minutes to a city park with nice views. Which one would you pick?
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'd probably mix it up so that I would have a change of scenery.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I’m short on time, I walk in the neighborhood. If I’m bored with looking at the neighborhood, I drive to the park.

Actually, I have two different parks within a ten minute drive that I sometimes go for walking. Another is almost 15 minutes away. I usually just walk in my neighborhood but it’s nice to get a change of scenery occasionally. I do the same with the bicycle. I can ride from my house and get to a nice (but hilly) bike path, but sometimes I drive so I can ride on a rail trail.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do both.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I live right by a walking/bike path that is 4 miles long. I use it often but mostly drive about 15 minutes and hike in the country. I actually hate walking in town but do it because it's convenient for me.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #6

We have a beach and a wooded park each about 10 minutes away in different directions. We mix it up. Sometimes we drive further for other parks/woods/beaches. Variety is the spice of both walking and life.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Easy answer for me.... I drive most mornings about 10 minutes to the beach to do my morning walk. But if I have a morning appointment or something, I do a quick walk around the neighborhood.

For me - I have to walk the dog regardless - and we both enjoy it far more at the beach. We have friends we meet most mornings... and you never know what you'll see... today we saw some (crazy) surfers 'shooting the pier'.... surfing between the Scripps Pier pylons. Very dangerous - but exciting to watch. Last week we saw a big group of pelicans divebombing into the water to get fish.... And tomorrow we'll be watching the amazing international adaptive surfing competition (hardcore surfers from around the world.) You can't see that in our residential neighborhood 2 miles inland.

If I have time, and no car available (my son sometimes takes a car) I walk in the local canyon... but I can get there by foot.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how much difference it makes. More about time and conditions.
Walk below our house. Or a short drive to the river. Little longer drive and an hour hike? It's all great. 20171006_140120.jpeg20181019_121749.jpeg20180926_123155.jpeg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
^^^^^^^^^^ Soooo nice.... I'm jealous...
Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

For most 10 minute car rides, I would bike to the park, then walk. For car rides 20 min+, I would likely drive.

I guess it depends how you think about your bike. Mine serves as a replacement for my car as much as possible.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I walk in my community. There is actually a nature preserve with walking trails about 5 minutes from my house. I don't go there for two reasons:

1. DH and I often want to walk spontaneously and we often take our dog with us, so easier to just go out the front door.

2. The nature preserve is lovely....but there are no restrooms. I don't want to go somewhere and then have to drive back to my house to go to the restroom.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ Soooo nice.... I'm jealous...
ditto

we have a park we could walk to (and do) but Oden the Shedder then could not walk much of our trail walk. (he's 14) We also will drive 10 minutes to a large park for a nice walk. Then the usual park 1 block away. He knows that one in his sleep
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #13

We live on the beach so normally I walk on the beach path with beautiful views and nature sightings. Often see sea lions, blue herons, and gulls and even sometimes dolphins, very rarely whales. Sometimes I walk on a beautiful street one block inland that has nice homes and is warmer and quieter than the beach.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #14
gone traveling

I have my normal daily 3 mile walk every morning before I start my day. it's a loop. I pick up tire hazards. that walk is for my health as I can no longer run. I can walk to the park a mile away and walk there if I want to step in dog poo . the beach is a 10 , minute drive so I don't walk it often. If I do not walk ,i gain a pound. if I walk twice a day ,i lose a pound. I prefer to walk in the road as people don't walk their dogs in the road, therefore I don't have to watch every step.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We can walk the neighborhood or a nearby golf course. We hardly ever drive to the park.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Both. Often the drive is combined with an errand, like grocery shopping.

Safety would be a factor. If my local walk doesn't have sidewalks, or has a lot of road crossings, I'd be more inclined to walk in the park.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #17

We have three greenways within a 10 minute drive. I go there often for my 3-5 mile hikes. DW, the fur-kid, and I all walk the 'hood most days. We do about a mile.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I would do both. And bike to the park if the route is bike friendly.

I normally walk/run in the neighborhood. But I sometimes drive 20 minutes to a paved limestone path for a run or bike ride. Exercise is more fun when there is variety.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We do both. Our neighborhood has 1500 houses, so can mix it up with ease.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Not sure how much difference it makes. More about time and conditions.
Walk below our house. Or a short drive to the river. Little longer drive and an hour hike? It's all great.
Wow. Gorgeous.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote