Join Early Retirement Today

10 Months, 3 weeks but who is counting!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

10 Months, 3 weeks but who is counting!

It has been "roughly" 10 months and 3 weeks since I quit setting the alarm and thought I would provide an update on how it is going.

First, I was "laid off" due to an issue with new boss and his desire to cut costs. I was given a fair package as it goes, and at first was rather dispondent, not knowing what I would do,etc. but now I thank the idiot everyday for the gift. Was able to retire at 53 and enjoying every minute. Also as a side note, even though cost cutting was the order of the day, 3 people were hired to cover my territory, but one quit after only 2 weeks, another was fired after 9 months, so another great reason that I took the package when I did. The one that is left is saddled with two mortgages as he can't sell his house from local he relocated from. Can't imagine his stress level.

With this RE, went thru the same things most have as to first guilt, than what to do, running spreadsheets constantly (ok still do this about every three months) but listed below are some of the things that would have never happened without taking RE. I was raised by worry warts who always looked at the negative side, so that is the one thing that is still hanging with me, ie worry about if the dream can last

Rescued an 11 year old Beagle mix total our herd to 3
Stopped to watch a turtle lay eggs in our yard
Read about a three dozen books that never would have had time to do before
When the urge hits, stay up until 4 am and read, tinker, whatever
Never stress out on rushing to get things done on a weekend as everday is the weekend
My blood pressure was close to needing meds, no more
Paid down mortgage to about 35K on a 400K home as it will go to indexed rate after 5 years next month. Makes payment about $255/month
Planted two more trees on our acreage
The alarm has not been set since RE day
See old friends from work who are stressed out, and help them work plans for RE
Rescued many turtles on our drives around the area
Volunteer at local Food Bank (Am out going Board President)
Liquidating excess stuff on ebay. Extra cash goes to savings for now
Work on my old car
Sorted out stuff in attic for sale, donation
Re-Read the entire North and South trilogy and watch mini series (Got from Library so didn't cost a cent)
Worked out my tax model for next 3 years to insure that expense is captured
Taken two trips and didn't have to have the d**m cell phone or computer or worry about going back to the grind once trip was complete
Still have not thrown out all the work stuff, this might take a bit more time. What if I need it again? I know final liberation is there when it all goes to trash
Researching areas to potentially finally settle if we can get the right combination of water, property, house size and local with low expenses and tax base. We like where we are, but now can search and take all the time we need
Researched volunteering at local animal shelters and zoo
Watch baseball when my Cards are on, even the late ones from the west coast, who cares what time the game ends

And finally, it is amazing that it did take about 6 months to relax and not worry about "doing" something everyday. The time flys and there has been no issues filling it. Many more things I have not even gotten to yet.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my experience and always appreciate seeing how others are doing.
oliverdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations, on your adapting! Sounds like you're doing fine!

I've been 'out of w*rk' for 12 weeks today, and life couldn't be better! I took an early buy-out, and don't miss the old joint at all. Just doing what I want, when I want.....no time schedules....no hassles. And like you say, my bp has dropped since I pulled the plug, too. Have lost a few pounds (not that I've tried, and not because I diet, just because I'm out 'doing stuff' now instead of being cooped up in the lab all day) and am feeling great!!!

Keep on keeping on!!!

goon
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like life is good! Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the update. It's encouragement for all of us still chained.
kendofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good for you man...that's a great post!
sendbaht is offline   Reply With Quote