10 worst states for retirement
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

10 worst states for retirement

According to Topretirements.com

» Our Worst States to Retire List Topretirements

The following states are the worst 10 states for retirement:
IL, CA, NY, RI, NJ, OH, WI, MS, CN and NV

What do you think ? Agree or disagree ? Any comment ?

I mostly agree with the list as I will go straight down to Florida from Toronto. California is not bad but it's too far for me to drive and too expensive in a way !
LuvSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

REWahoo, I'm sorry Texas couldn't qualify for inclusion on this list...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every individual has different priorities, and at best these types of articles have to make assumptions about what the "average" retiree is looking for.

I mean, there are really a lot of different factors: cost of living, taxes, climate, recreational and cultural opportunities, health care, that sort of thing. Each individual has to decide for themselves which of these are most important to them. In general most of this "worst" list seems to focus on weather and taxes/cost of living, which are usually two of the major factors but certainly not the only ones.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouth View Post

I mostly agree with the list as I will go straight down to Florida from Toronto. California is not bad but it's too far for me to drive and too expensive in a way !
The abbreviation for Massachusetts is MA, not MS. Mississippi is last in a lot of things and probably not at the top of retirement locations for most, but the cost of living is fairly low which would exclude it from a list like this one.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Dawg! I was about to go to the article, in complete disbelief since I think that Mississippi is not an unusually bad place to retire at all. It has its problems, but cost of living is very low, and housing is very low, too.

Here's a surprising paragraph from the article:
Quote:
Honorable Mentions:
Arizona (PR), Oregon (PR), and Florida (PR) are all frequently mentioned as problem states because of their unhealthy economies. These high-growth states are having to deal with no growth, and the transition has been difficult. On the plus side, they (except for OR) have warmer climates and are popular with retirees. Florida does do not have an income tax, Oregon does not have a sales tax or tax social security or military pensions.
I would have thought these three states would be right at the top of the list of good places to retire.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, the list focus on weather, taxes, cost of living and fiscal issue of each state.

I think there's one important factor that's missed is the family tie. To some retirees, family tie may be the most important factor.

I think it's justifiable that TX doesn't make the list of worst 10 states as it has pleasant climate in the winter. Look at the number of snowbirds in TX, it's a whopping 150,000 of them each year.

Snowbirds from Ontario Canada go to Brownsville TX too. I talked to 2 snowbirds a few years ago in a camping trip in Ontario, they said they went to Brownsville TX every winter.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought about the abbreviation of Massachusetts when I typed MS as I wasn't sure

Thanks for pointing it out for me. Well, I never know how to spell Massachusetts correctly in my life !
Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought about the abbreviation of Massachusetts when I typed MS as I wasn't sure

Thanks for pointing it out for me. Well, I never know how to spell Massachusetts correctly in my life !
Not bad since you spelled it correctly here not once, but twice.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I would just like to point out that Illinois, number one on the list of worst places to retire, has the most awesome street lights.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

As a resident of Ohio, not one tax gets you, but add them all up and it is bad.

NY might not be as bad as it appears, my parents are RE in Rochester, and my father tells me the first 40k of income for a married couple is tax free.

Most of those states have high taxes, among other things. Ohio is 7th highest total tax burden in country.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Note that CA is #2 on the 10 worst list, and also #5 on the 10 best list. Tells you something about these lists.

» What are the Best States for Retirement? Topretirements
Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not bad since you spelled it correctly here not once, but twice.
Thanks for the compliment but I have to make 2 confessions:

(1) I copied and pasted MA, you see, I don't remember how to spell it again.

(2) The reason I used abbreviations for those 10 states in my first post was because I saw MA (full name) on the list and knew I wouldn't know how to spell it
Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Note that CA is #2 on the 10 worst list, and also #5 on the 10 best list. Tells you something about these lists.
Yep -- one list is clearly emphasizing taxes, cost of living and overall fiscal condition, and the other is clearly emphasizing weather and recreational/cultural opportunities.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
..."cultural opportunities".
Yes; I live where I live since my DW is there ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yep -- ... the other is clearly emphasizing weather and recreational/cultural opportunities.
Such as the Corona beer girls at the local Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Mississippi is last in a lot of things and probably not at the top of retirement locations for most.
Brett Favre?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the list tries to bring out what retirees most likely prefer:
- Weather: Warm, no snow to shovel
- Lower taxes
- Cultural activities (Florida offers such opportunities plus pleasant weather)
- Fiscal condition

I would further prefer:
- Lower property taxes, meaning lower or moderate property prices (for snowbirds)
- Geographical location (for snowbirds)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
- Cultural activities (Florida offers such opportunities plus pleasant weather)
Not to mention humidity and hurricanes, but I guess for a "snowbird" who only winters there it's not really an issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I would just like to point out that Illinois, number one on the list of worst places to retire, has the most awesome street lights.
Just when we thought we had shipped out a number of the major problems to other areas of the country, some are trying to prove they're still residents and move back.......
Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's hilarious. What is a person supposed to conclude about retiring in California? Were the authors on drugs?

One reason I actually LIKE reading lists like these, is that it gives me ideas of what sorts of things I might have missed about a potential retirement location. Then I can think about these aspects and determine whether or not they make any difference to me. Often the criteria used just aren't important to me, so the actual ranking is kind of irrelevant.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote