Join Early Retirement Today

100 Butterfly Species for our Yard!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

100 Butterfly Species for our Yard!

[This can be filed under "but whadya do all day?" : count butterflies.]

2.5 years ago, DH and I parked our perpetual wandering wheels (the RV home) and moved into a house we had built in the Rio Grande Valley at the southern tip of TX. A strong draw was that we had the space to put in a really nice butterfly garden in an area reknown for butterflies. Not large, but with the right selection of plants even a small garden will attract a good number of butterflies.

So Audrey became a landscape architect and with careful design and plant selection (and implementation by the development gardeners) we got our garden in late June of 2010. We started counting in August and by November of 2010 we had already listed 77 butterfly species for the yard! New species accumulated more slowly, but this year has been quite good, and yesterday species number 100 finally arrived for a visit! We are celebrating!

The attached photos are from a year ago, but the garden was already a great butterfly haven. The plants are just all a lot bigger now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mission-Backyard-10-31-11-v2.jpg (155.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Queens-on-Betony-Mistflower.jpg (177.5 KB, 33 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was working on it! Sorry for the delay
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nice!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Sage garden, is still bringing in hummers, I have had a Broad-tailed that made the rare bird alert this week. I had a beautiful Gulf Fritillary yesterday.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That's really beautiful, Audrey. I remember the photos you posted of the bare lot. You have done a wonderful job and I hope it will be a source of enjoyment for many years.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Landscaping is very nicely done, congrats. Looks more "lush" than I'd expect as far south as you are, but what do I know (really).

And I'll bet the butterflies are wonderful, the kind of thing one (me at least) might largely overlook before retiring. We notice and thoroughly enjoy the wildlife in our neighborhood/backyard more than ever...deer almost every day for us.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful landscape design! Congrats on a job well done.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Administrator

Lovely!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #10

Beautiful ! I love the landscaping and I'll bet you have your fair share of birds and bees to go with all the butterflies. 100 species of butterflies is AMAZING and a great accomplishment - you should be very proud. Have you thought about registering as a Backyard Habitat with the National Wildlife Federation ?
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #11

Beautiful landscaping and attracting 100 butterfly species is amazing.

Plant it and they will come!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Beautiful ! I love the landscaping and I'll bet you have your fair share of birds and bees to go with all the butterflies. 100 species of butterflies is AMAZING and a great accomplishment - you should be very proud. Have you thought about registering as a Backyard Habitat with the National Wildlife Federation ?
Of course we have birds and bees visit too. And rabbits and skunks and snakes.....

Part of the development is registered as backyard habitat with Texas Parks and Wildlife.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

More pics. In case you didn't know, DH is a dedicated amateur butterfly/wildlife photographer. Yet another whaddya do all day kind of hobby.

#99 Tailed Aguna on blue sky flower:

#98 Yellow-angled Sulphur on Mexican orchid tree:

#100, an Orange Sulphur, hasn't cooperated for its portrait yet (it keeps fleeing DH), but if it keeps hanging around DH may still get a chance for a decent photo.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #14

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photographs.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Outstanding thread, Audrey. Thank you.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm impressed that you have had the patience to identify all those different butterflies. I think I know only a few pop names like Swallowtail and Painted Lady.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm impressed that you have had the patience to identify all those different butterflies. I think I know only a few pop names like Swallowtail and Painted Lady.
Well, when you live in an area that boasts over 300 species, butterflying becomes as addictive as birding and identification is a big part of the fun. We already knew many of the area butterflies before we even planted the garden as we had been visiting the Valley for years and there are several public butterfly gardens where experts can help you with the identification.

Photography also kind of forces identification. Butterflies are not so tough - there are several good field guides. Dragonflies are much more difficult. My husband spent hours at first searching the web and emailing experts to identify dragonflies he had photographed. Now with his experience it comes a bit easier - plus the guidebooks have really improved.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Of course we have birds and bees visit too. And rabbits and skunks and snakes.....

Part of the development is registered as backyard habitat with Texas Parks and Wildlife.
fantastic ! and thanks so much for posting the photos. I love them.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
fantastic ! and thanks so much for posting the photos. I love them.
You bet! My husband is very, very good at what he does. And he gets to do it for free!!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm impressed! We have always had a butterfly garden; sadly, it seems to be drawing fewer and fewer butterflies, possibly since all the neighbors started having lawn service (all those pesticides and weedkillers). We are seeing a lot of mantids, too; I love them, but they love butterflies a bit too much.

Amethyst