Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Is it the stock options that you need to stay for or just one more pay year's paycheck?
More for the one year's paycheck, but not to pad myself with cash so to speak. It's more to keep from dipping into my secondary grant at my old company to live on while I wait to make sure they're going to increase in market cap as they hit profitability early next year. I'd rather live on the paycheck than start cashing that stock right now.

Assuming they do hit profitability and the price continues going up, then I feel much comfortable with pulling the plug, moving out of this area, and buying a house. Even if it goes down later (as stock certainly can), I can adjust my lifestyle accordingly. I just feel more comfortable with not dipping into that grant until I see the stock moving upward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Another possible downside, is many start ups have an "all in" mentality and expect 60-80 hours work weeks to match the vague promise to get rich if this works. Never seen that be worth it to anyone except the founder or the most inside circle of execs.
I will certainly agree that the vast majority of any life-changing amount of wealth goes to the founders, exec team (aka cronies), and VCs. However, I'd say even people who joined up until they were about 50 people or so still received a grant large enough that it was life-changing. Maybe not enough to retire on (especially here in Northern California), but still a meaningful amount.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I will certainly agree that the vast majority of any life-changing amount of wealth goes to the founders, exec team (aka cronies), and VCs. However, I'd say even people who joined up until they were about 50 people or so still received a grant large enough that it was life-changing. Maybe not enough to retire on (especially here in Northern California), but still a meaningful amount.
Before or after taxes?

There's a new show, Million Dollar Listing San Francisco, talking about how the real estate in the City is booming from "tech buyers" flush with money.

Well they show a lot of twenty and thirtysomething people looking at $2-4 million properties.

One of the brokers waited around trying to hunt down a tech shuttle which they believed were filled with millionaires commuting from SF to the Valley.

Doesn't seem likely that that kind of money is being spread around that widely.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Before or after taxes?

There's a new show, Million Dollar Listing San Francisco, talking about how the real estate in the City is booming from "tech buyers" flush with money.

Well they show a lot of twenty and thirtysomething people looking at $2-4 million properties.

One of the brokers waited around trying to hunt down a tech shuttle which they believed were filled with millionaires commuting from SF to the Valley.

Doesn't seem likely that that kind of money is being spread around that widely.
After taxes. Before tax means nothing, at least to me. All that matters is how much I can walk away with after paying the tax man.

I've seen a few episodes of that show, and think it's bogus. Not every person in tech is flush with cash. Far from it. Statistics are something like 95% of all startups fail, and even if they don't fail, a lot of them are acquired instead of IPO'ing for far less than was invested in them, which leaves nothing for the rank-and-file employee.

I was fortunate in that the company I worked for did have a successful IPO and has steadily grown since, and has good fundamentals. However, I'd still only say the first 50 to 75 employees made a life-changing amount of money, with people after that getting something decent, but not life-changing.

I know somebody in his late 20's who just bought a $1.7 million house but he didn't pay cash for it. He put down 20% and got a mortgage, which I'd say is far more typical. There's a lot of talk about tech buyers with cash, but I think those are limited to the outlier companies like Facebook, Twitter, Uber (when they IPO) with sky-high valuations. That's certainly not the norm. In fact, I'd almost venture that the bulk of cash deals for real estate in the Bay Area aren't coming from 20-something techies who suddenly made a fortune off their company going public. It's from offshore buyers and investors in Asia, China specifically. That's my gut feeling.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My final year was probably the most difficult of my career because I really, really hated my boss by then and everything going on at work. And I had hated her for years anyway! Anytime I heard her voice, or her walk or her laugh, I would cringe! BUT, I had to stick it out, though, in fact, I left 6 months early because I decided life was way too short to put up with unhappiness any longer. Soon as I stepped out the door, no more b*tch, no more stress!