2 things I don't miss in ER

Two things I won't miss: Commuting/QUOTE]

Really No. 1 for me. And I suspect many people would suggest I'm fortunate to require only a 45-minute drive to work. But the stress of the drive to and from my job was worse than the job itself.

Edit: Funny, the commute comes down so often as a reason to retire, but it's so unnecessary in this day and age.

Last edited:
1) The commute, as I have mentioned many times in other threads.

2) Trying to rush through breakfast without becoming nauseous.

Threats dealt from the "management by fear" tactics (one of which I responded to by saying "OK, I understand. Go ahead. Let's start. Follow through right here and right now." -- that ended that sh!t).

The business owner grinding his teeth together while talking through them with his face turning beet red.

The commute (I'll miss even less during the winter season)

Resolving employee relations issues.

Schedules, impossibly short by the time a project came to us, and working 10 to 12 hours a day in the office til the project was done, five or six different projects at a time. When a new project would start, immediately. (I actually loved this part, in a crazy adrenaline-filled way, til I didn't.) Planning the two weeks vacation a year around schedules was really hard.

And the schedule's evil twin, accounting for hours and status each week on each project. (I actually always hated this part.)

Last edited:
Trite, meaningless phrases that are supposed to inspire us, but leave me wondering if the people who speak them are in touch with reality.

if you haven't watched the Weird Al video in the original post, it speaks to your peeve... :dance:

Don't miss the drama queens (both female and male). You can't escape it in the cube farm. Some of these people have more drama (mostly created by themselves) than you will ever see on reality TV. Maybe that is one more reason why I generally don't watch TV.

Started watching the video, smiled, then after a minute or so I just had to stop it, it became painful bringing up memories.

Last week was in Pretoria SA as DS was in hospital there, he's fine now. His company paid for our travel there (nice surprise, we had already paid to get there) and put us in a conference center - hotel close by. DW and I had time to kill so would read in the garden area. And then, the local conferees would go into "breakout sessions" that we could overhear. Much of the talk was in Zulu so we could not understand. However, it was such an obvious replay of the crap I used to put up with, the moderator coming around coaching, ugh. Ain't never goin' back.

There is so much I don't miss, but I don't want to drudge up the memories.:)

You betcha!

I've been FIRE'd over 8 years, DW over 12. (FIRE'd at 58 and 55.) The best thing about this stage of retirement is that events past our working years are now our dominant memories. We'll recall and chat about camping trips to Yellowstone, a new lake we discovered where the walleyes are plentiful and hungry, our favorite scenic river to paddle, a fun day with the grandkids, etc., etc. But the days of making ourselves feel better about the present by remembering and discussing miseries of the past are long, long gone!

I guess I'd have to say that the thing I miss the least about early FIRE is that we used to waste time thinking about unpleasant things about our jobs. Ugh.

Last edited:
Threats dealt from the "management by fear" tactics (one of which I responded to by saying "OK, I understand. Go ahead. Let's start. Follow through right here and right now." -- that ended that sh!t).

The business owner grinding his teeth together while talking through them with his face turning beet red.

Just lurking on this one to see what I am going to miss when I RE .... :)

I get the threats fairly often. I know they are empty ones and it's good that I am FI. Otherwise, the threats would bother me a bit. I won't miss my management chain, a line of psychopaths and/or sociopaths whose sole mission in life seem to be climbing up the corporate ladder by all and any means.

Alarm clock going off & the ensuing 60 - 90 min commute is the killer for me.

There would be things I'd miss, to be honest, but not enough to keep on delaying my RE.

17 years without a vacation.

I'm almost in the same boat. The last "real" vacation I feel I took was way back in 1998 when I went to London for two weeks.

Everything since then has been just long weekends, or visiting family during the holidays, which isn't always a vacation. It's more of an oblication (heard that word for the first time the other day and love it, LOL).

I've even hit the PTO cap at work, which is 240 hours. I'm actually taking tomorrow off just so I don't lose the hours. At this point because I want to FIRE in February, I'm just going to keep banking the PTO hours and they'll have to pay it out to me when I leave. That's almost 3 extra paychecks at quitting time.

After that, I'll have a REAL vacation because I plan on going to Europe for a month or two and giving myself the type of vacation I could only dream of trying to hold down an IT job.

+1

I'll go with alarm clock at 5:45am and generating useless CYA reports for senior management who usually didn't even read them.

That's 2 hours earlier than my working life limit! I could not do that more than once a month or two (maybe).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

1. Scheduled conference calls that get pushed out or rescheduled at the last minute because other participants can't manage their time properly. Very annoying.
2. Meetings that never seemed to start on time.
3. Late night conference calls with Asian colleagues and clients
4. Annual plans and "career" goals when my career was just a couple more years.

#1) Being "On-Call" way too many weekends.
#2) Emails about some trivial bureaucratic nonsense with "Action Required" pasted in the subject line as if it were more important than whatever I could possibly have been working on already.

Managers who are insecure, power-mad, desperate psychopaths /sociopaths who have determined that YOU are the person they will make an example of........

Managers who are insecure, power-mad, desperate psychopaths /sociopaths who have determined that YOU are the person they will make an example of........

I am working for that guy now :facepalm:. I won't miss the boss and its cronies when I RE.

The problem with this kind of boss is that he sets a bad example which his weaker minded sub-managers follow. Over time, the whole org becomes a toxic place to work, everyone looking to blame each other, taking credit for others' work, stepping over others to advance, etc..

wearing a wrist watch...

and corporate babble...

what are 2 things you don't miss?

Wow what a fantastic video. Two of my favorite things are corporate buzzword and Weird Al. That is the ultimate synergistic relationship transforming messaging into the next generation of social media. It is a new paradigm for buzzword.

I can't believe I missed that video and nobody posted it on Facebook. What would I do without this forum.

Parents. I do not miss the parents.

"My kid says...."

Guess what.....your kid is not being truthful.

Parents seldom, seldom believe their child might, ahem, lie.

Surprise: kids don't always tell the truth. Unbelievable what an affect/effect that can have on a teacher's day.

and, the weekly meetings/inservices. I never knew i disliked those so much until retirement. As somebody else said....same stuff, repackaged...over and over again.

Brilliant! Leave to Weird Al to juxtapose corporate double-speak with the anti-corporate, anti-establishment, challenge-the-status-quo strains of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

Back
Top Bottom