Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke up to a 4:30am alarm clock this morning. Won't miss that.

Could easily rattle off 20 things I won't miss about working.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1. Scheduled conference calls that get pushed out or rescheduled at the last minute because other participants can't manage their time properly. Very annoying.
2. Meetings that never seemed to start on time.
3. Late night conference calls with Asian colleagues and clients
4. Annual plans and "career" goals when my career was just a couple more years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

someone else scheduling my time
and
deadlines
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

#1) Being "On-Call" way too many weekends.
#2) Emails about some trivial bureaucratic nonsense with "Action Required" pasted in the subject line as if it were more important than whatever I could possibly have been working on already.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #45

Managers who are insecure, power-mad, desperate psychopaths /sociopaths who have determined that YOU are the person they will make an example of........
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
someone else scheduling my time
and
deadlines
+1 for me too..it's nice not to have to impress, please or answer to anyone but the wife
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Managers who are insecure, power-mad, desperate psychopaths /sociopaths who have determined that YOU are the person they will make an example of........
I am working for that guy now . I won't miss the boss and its cronies when I RE.

The problem with this kind of boss is that he sets a bad example which his weaker minded sub-managers follow. Over time, the whole org becomes a toxic place to work, everyone looking to blame each other, taking credit for others' work, stepping over others to advance, etc..
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
wearing a wrist watch...

and corporate babble...

what are 2 things you don't miss?
Wow what a fantastic video. Two of my favorite things are corporate buzzword and Weird Al. That is the ultimate synergistic relationship transforming messaging into the next generation of social media. It is a new paradigm for buzzword.

I can't believe I missed that video and nobody posted it on Facebook. What would I do without this forum.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Parents. I do not miss the parents.

"My kid says...."

Guess what.....your kid is not being truthful.

Parents seldom, seldom believe their child might, ahem, lie.

Surprise: kids don't always tell the truth. Unbelievable what an affect/effect that can have on a teacher's day.

and, the weekly meetings/inservices. I never knew i disliked those so much until retirement. As somebody else said....same stuff, repackaged...over and over again.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #50

Brilliant! Leave to Weird Al to juxtapose corporate double-speak with the anti-corporate, anti-establishment, challenge-the-status-quo strains of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language"?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #51

George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Wow what a fantastic video. Two of my favorite things are corporate buzzword and Weird Al. That is the ultimate synergistic relationship transforming messaging into the next generation of social media. It is a new paradigm for buzzword.

I can't believe I missed that video and nobody posted it on Facebook. What would I do without this forum.
It's time for me to enjoy morning coffee over Orwell's landmark essay once again. His instruction on the many methods of obfuscation often sustained me during mind-numbing meetings of the past three decades. It was entertaining to sit in in-services, "consultant" presentations, and state curriculum meetings, thinking back to good old George O. (Those meetings gave lots of opportunities to watch presenters say very little with WAY too many words. Orwell would have been chuckling, and it kept me from watching the clock.)

If more folks had been required to read his essay, they might be embarrassed to see how they obfuscate a la Orwell each day.

So, for example, in this video, the corporation spends over four minutes of empty blathering, simply to say, " We'll make ourselves and our employees do whatever it takes to make a lot of money."

But, in our modern, sophisticated world, of course no one would ever want to sound like a robber baron of the 19th century. After all, companies need to keep my investments healthy so I'm free to enjoy ER with Orwell.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Paradigm shifts. Just one more paradigm shift for the road. Right?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #53

Things I don't miss-
1. Complete lack of appreciation for years (decades) of ongoing hard work and uncompensated 'beyond-the job-description' support given to the organization.
2. Performance reviews based largely upon things you have no control of.
3. Long process improvement meetings where any honest suggestions are met with "if you aren't happy here, why don't you leave?".

Only semi-ERed as I'm still doing some consulting. Lower pay, but low stress, interesting, flexible, and my efforts honestly seem appreciated. Why couldn't my 'career' have been like this?
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #54

even though I'm retired I still have alarm clocks.... I have to get the kids out to school and I'm taking an Italian class at the JC that starts at 8am.

But... I don't miss:
- weekly conference calls with the Bangalore teams. I had one at 10:30pm Monday nights, and another at 5am Wed. mornings. Sometimes there was another at 5am Thur. mornings. Ironically, the east coast teams never could manage to make the 5am call (8am their time) but I wasn't allowed to skip these calls despite them being when normal people are sleeping. I was SO glad when I got switched to a different project and was able to pass off those calls to a different group that was going to take over management/support of the legacy products.

- The commute. My home is only 6.5 miles from my former work campus. But due to a long term freeway construction project that involved the interchange that I needed to get home from work, my 10-15 minute commute started taking upwards of an hour. It's a super high volume interchange because Qualcomm campuses are in the area (along with a LOT of other high tech - but they're the biggest for that part of town.) I know people who shifted their work hours to leave after 9pm because traffic was bad from 3:30pm to about 7:30-8pm. My husband joked that the construction would finish the day I retired. I looked it up - it's not due to end stage 1 till late 2016.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #55

Meetings after lunch. Gawd, how I hated them. I would always find myself sleepy, listening to someone babble. These days, I take a nap, and attend no meetings, before or after lunch.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #56

Another vote for being on call.

And those horrible, soul sucking computer upgrades that started Friday evening and went into Sunday. The following week was always hell week.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #57

1) The total disrespect that morning people got. "Sure, we are happy to have you work from 7:30 - 4:00. That's how our non-profit helps you maintain work/life balance. Oh, we just scheduled another meeting that starts at 4:00 and will run until 6:00- you can make that, right?"

But if I EVER tried to schedule a meeting even as early as, god forbid, 9:00 AM I would never hear the end of it!

2) Meetings that were scheduled for 30 minutes that ran to 2 hours because: A) there was no agenda, B) the organizer had no idea what the purpose of the meeting was, C) the boss needed to ramble for 30 minutes before the meeting could even address whatever it was we were supposed to be addressing, and D) the action items were always, "let's meet again next week to talk this over one more time."
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #58

1. Power point presentations, where the presenter reads what's on the slide.
2. Workplace bullies. They're socializes psychopaths. They're the incompetent people who spend their time and energies sabatoging and trying to make competent people look bad and make their lives miserable in the process. Hospitals and schools and I'll bet corporations are full of them.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm far from retired, but my gripes seem to be different from everyone here.

1. Co-workers that can't speak English. "You've been here 15 yrs. in a high paying job, yet you can't pronounce words or speak properly?" I worked overseas for 3 years and they could speak better than this group.
2. Getting put on important projects requiring new technology but get no training. "Oh, we know you can pick it up fast. Just look it up online." Spare me...
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

The beautiful girls in the office...
Lunch in the executive dining room...

Umm... come to think of it, didn't have either of these... so nothing to miss.

Nothing...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote