Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1. Meetings and more meetings

2. Mandatory training

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #62

Psychopaths at work. Studies have shown about 4% of company CEOs are psychopaths. I am working for one now.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Psychopaths at work. Studies have shown about 4% of company CEOs are psychopaths. I am working for one now.
Never heard that, dont dought it. I believe if you go down a couple levels to up and coming middle management the percentage gets even higher.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
...D) the action items were always, "let's meet again next week to talk this over one more time."
"Let's have a meeting to decide when the next meeting will be..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

1) my 5 1/2 hour, 350 mile commute every Monday and Thursday
2) being on-call 24/7 for 32 years
2a) never knowing when the next 2 am emergency call would happen, and having to be ready to immediately solve a problem that 35 people on location couldn't figure out
Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Never heard that, dont dought it. I believe if you go down a couple levels to up and coming middle management the percentage gets even higher.
Saw multiple studies which said about 4% of CEOs are psychopaths. It makes perfect sense to me. They are ruthless in getting what they want, use others to get ahead, driven, smart, etc.. Steve Jobs comes to my mind.

Then there is another study that says about 9% of Americans have some type of personality disorder. I don't doubt that either although my observation at work is that about 1 in 20 seems to have some kind of personality disorder that drives peers, managers crazy. As a "middle management" myself, I had to deal with a lot of these cases over the years. I am not gonna miss that after RE.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #67

I love the movie Office Space..it was a huge catalyst in me wanting to FIRE. In the movie, there is a whiteboard that is has the title ' Planning to Plan' with significant flow paths illustrated. I'm sure many of us can relate to this. And Six Sigma...ugh...That's the worst!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I love the movie Office Space..it was a huge catalyst in me wanting to FIRE. In the movie, there is a whiteboard that is has the title ' Planning to Plan' with significant flow paths illustrated. I'm sure many of us can relate to this. And Six Sigma...ugh...That's the worst!

But... but.... Six Sigma is key to following the One True Way to ISO-9000 certification, TQM, and the Baldrige Award! Plan, Do, Check, Act, folks! It's the One True Way.

And I've got the t-shirts to prove it. "This Friday's Beer Bash is sponsored by the Vice President of Total Quality Management."

(This was a hardware startup company, that got bitten hard by the TQM bug. The CEO decided that winning the Baldrige Award was just what our hardware sales needed. )
Old 09-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
But... but.... Six Sigma is key to following the One True Way to ISO-9000 certification, TQM, and the Baldrige Award! Plan, Do, Check, Act, folks! It's the One True Way.

And I've got the t-shirts to prove it. "This Friday's Beer Bash is sponsored by the Vice President of Total Quality Management."

(This was a hardware startup company, that got bitten hard by the TQM bug. The CEO decided that winning the Baldrige Award was just what our hardware sales needed. )
Oh Lord help me. The Air Force goes through some new rendition of "quality" about every 6 years or so. TQM, AFSO-21, AhhhhH!!!!!!!!!! My latest and LAST w*rk assignment is w*rking with a VERY LARGE defense contractor and the quality madness is simply overwhelming. But..that's OK...only 43 workdays to go!!!! and one more
Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh Lord help me. The Air Force goes through some new rendition of "quality" about every 6 years or so. TQM, AFSO-21, AhhhhH!!!!!!!!!! My latest and LAST w*rk assignment is w*rking with a VERY LARGE defense contractor and the quality madness is simply overwhelming. But..that's OK...only 43 workdays to go!!!! and one more
I suppose you don't remember "Zero Defects"...
Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #71

Quote:

Date for a date meeting .... aaarrgh. And don't mention the dreaded 6 sigma. I believe all process improvement comes with more efficient way of doing things. After one of my past megacorps got through with 6 sigma implementation, what used to take 1 week took 3 weeks. 500 page documents on how to do things started to pop up.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

As if these so called quality system improvement programs were not enough to waste people's time in long useless meetings we also had to deal with ISO 14001 (environmental) ISO 22000 (safety) 5S and the new OSHA global harmonized system.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I suppose you don't remember "Zero Defects"...
Thankfully, no! I am hoping that when I turn in my badge and walk out the door for the last time, I can turn in all that useless QA knowledge too!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Date for a date meeting .... aaarrgh. And don't mention the dreaded 6 sigma. I believe all process improvement comes with more efficient way of doing things. After one of my past megacorps got through with 6 sigma implementation, what used to take 1 week took 3 weeks. 500 page documents on how to do things started to pop up.
We had a big "quality escape" issue going on for a significant safety of flight issue with the contractor. Of course, to all the lowly folks flying the planes (me), the issue was very simple and very easy to solve...but OH NO. They brought in a blue ribbon team to REALLY figure out what was going on. Several months later and many, many, many interview and meetings later (including several PhDs in quality..who'd a thought it?!?) they came to the same conclusion we had figured out about 10 minutes after the "issue" came to light. I have some pretty good pictures of the break out room where there were charts all over the damn place...it was pretty comical. I could never figure out why "common sense" has never been adopted as a quality improvement tool. And yes, this is yet another reason that I look forward to my escape!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #75

OK..I have to add one more. They are getting ready to do a big video telecon next week, so they sent out an email to the ENTIRE organization (about 12,000 people) that had a link to a practice meeting. They asked that if anyone had issues with the link or broadcast, then they asked that they respond accordingly. Well, many idiots (about 518 at my last look) had hit the dreaded "reply all" button to say "Looks good here!". Really people?!?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

the mind numbing and numerous conference calls and the prickly email if you missed any....for any reason. Flying places you did not want to go, spending time with people you didn't want to be with and do things you didn't want to do!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Saw multiple studies which said about 4% of CEOs are psychopaths. It makes perfect sense to me. They are ruthless in getting what they want, use others to get ahead, driven, smart, etc.. Steve Jobs comes to my mind.

Then there is another study that says about 9% of Americans have some type of personality disorder. I don't doubt that either although my observation at work is that about 1 in 20 seems to have some kind of personality disorder that drives peers, managers crazy. As a "middle management" myself, I had to deal with a lot of these cases over the years. I am not gonna miss that after RE.
The worst boss is the sadistic powertripping nutcase who lives to harrass people. His motivation is not advancement, but to simply have power over people to make their lives miserable while management above him looks the other way. He somehow keeps his job while spending 75% of his emotional and mental energy making sure those couple of folks he has picked out of the w*rk group are completely miserable. There are lots of these sc*mb*gs thriving in middle management.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #78

The two main things I don't miss:

#1 - Business travel
#2 - Office politics

The two main things I do miss:

#1 -
#2 -

I was going to say I missed the big paychecks and the 6 weeks of vacation, but I really don't "need" the paychecks and I'm on vacation full time now.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
........... There are lots of these sc*mb*gs thriving in middle management.
Heck, at MegaMotors we had them through out the entire management structure.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
The worst boss is the sadistic powertripping nutcase who lives to harrass people. His motivation is not advancement, but to simply have power over people to make their lives miserable while management above him looks the other way. He somehow keeps his job while spending 75% of his emotional and mental energy making sure those couple of folks he has picked out of the w*rk group are completely miserable. There are lots of these sc*mb*gs thriving in middle management.
You you know Jim?