Join Early Retirement Today

2 Years today ER
Old 05-26-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2 Years today ER

Woke up at oh dark thirty hours today, instead of the usual 7 or 8. While stumbling around in the dark, realized that two years have passed since walking out of the sprawling light rail building, for the last time.

Sitting, peering out into to morning dusk, saw a pair headlights in the distance, it was one of the nurses, heading to w*rk. I gave a silent thanks to her.

By the time the coffee was up the sun was pushing up the horizon, got a cup, then watched a robin doing tug ow war with a worm. Worm lost.

Thent went for my usual half hour walk, This early, only birds broke the silence.

So, onward, see what the rest of the day will bring.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

That was beautiful. Congrats on two years of FIRE. We just celebrated my 2 year anniversary of the same a few days ago with a nice dinner out. I kind of like your way however, enjoying the peace of the day, all of that good stuff you miss when your at w**k.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, nice post. Congrats on the 2 year anniversary. Mine was about one month ago.

Looking forward to starting a summer RV trip next week. It's makes for an unusual conversation for working folks:

When you leaving? Early June.
When you coming back? Late July.
Where you going? East.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #4

Nice post. Coming up on two months myself since I stopped w**king. I was gripped by a thought yesterday that made me stop to reflect. Since I retired, the days seem to fly by. I never seem to get as much done as I wanted to. Is this common? I think I mentioned this in another post, come to think of it. I was wondering if getting up earlier would help, but I get up around 6:00-6:30 now. Some of the time goes to helping DW who is going through a rough patch right now. Other time goes to doing things like tending my new garden and planting landscaping plants which I never did before unless DW set it all up for me.

Last evening I sat out on the back porch with my little dog Jack and watched a couple guys fish for bass. The weather is perfect. But I worry that the clock is speeding up by not having a fixed schedule that rules my time. Methinks I'm not dealing with this retirement thing well so far.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Nice post. Coming up on two months myself since I stopped w**king. I was gripped by a thought yesterday that made me stop to reflect. Since I retired, the days seem to fly by. I never seem to get as much done as I wanted to. Is this common? I think I mentioned this in another post, come to think of it. I was wondering if getting up earlier would help, but I get up around 6:00-6:30 now. Some of the time goes to helping DW who is going through a rough patch right now. Other time goes to doing things like tending my new garden and planting landscaping plants which I never did before unless DW set it all up for me.

Last evening I sat out on the back porch with my little dog Jack and watched a couple guys fish for bass. The weather is perfect. But I worry that the clock is speeding up by not having a fixed schedule that rules my time. Methinks I'm not dealing with this retirement thing well so far.
Days, months, years.

So different from work, where the clock would stop at about 2PM each day.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post

Looks to me you are doing just fine. If the days were slow and boring, then I would worry.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Is99,

What a great way to start this holiday. Thank you.

It's been one year for me - the best year of my life!
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Is99, I've gotten into the early morning coffee thing too. Will be heading out into the garden to do a little pruning this morning. Thanks for reminding us of the nice things in ER.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations to all the anniversary folks. My one year was last week. We still don't feel like we are really retired due to all the w*rk associated with fixing up the house, downsizing, finding a house, selling a house and now getting ready to move out next week followed by moving in and getting into the new house, unpacking boxes and finding places to put everything.

A couple weeks after we move in I leave to see family for a couple of weeks while DW's family comes to visit at the new house.

Oh, we are also starting to plan our fall RV trip back East for 3-4 months. I still have some work to do on the RV to get it ready for the big trip. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Who has time to get bored?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the good comments. As it happened,weather is pretty good, was continuing the brake replacements I started a few weeks ago, before 2 weeks of rain, on my Argosy trailer. The last wheel finished packing the bearing, noticed cracked race.

So put all tools away, shower, heading off for coffee and BS at the local greasy spoon. Sort out the bearing tomorrow, maybe. Nothing but time.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't believe that my 2 yr anniversary is 6/2/08. Where did the time go? I really don't know, but I am sure enjoying myself.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Dreamer, Yeah, but but but but whaddaya do all day.

Enjoy!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #13

I passed the 1-year mark the first of May.

I just got back from my "volunteer j*b" this morning, delivering meals to aged/shut-in's.

One gentlemen continues to thank me for my "work" in delivering his meal. If I was shown this much "appreciation" when I actually had a j*b, maybe I would have stayed longer (ER's at 59).

Anyway, as I "eased into retirement", I found around the 6-9 month mark that I woke up (every day) with a smile on my face, and a little prayer to thank (whatever God there is) for yesterday, and today. That's certainly a change from when I had to work for my "daily bread".

Life is good.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #14

Glad to hear that you can sit back and "Smell to Flowers".
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Congrats.

I am still marking off the days at w*rk. I have 3 years left.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tomorrow will be 3 months for me. Still quite busy making up for 10+ years of deferred maintenance on the house. Mostly done scanning the slides, not started on old pictures yet, only half done turning vinyl into MP3s. Getting ready for looong road trip, probably will feel retired then.

I exercise in the morning but a walk in the morning sounds even better.